Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80
Default I don't understand anymore...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...40&key=6216150

What am I doing wrong? Nearly every photo uploaded to this site, all rejected. I usually don't care about these things, but this is bugging me. I always thought RP wanted everyone to start thinking outside the wedge. So...I try to get creative. This happens. Just don't get it...

Ben
Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
magicman_841

I like it. It's very minimalistic. Nice caption, too.

For RP's purposes, though, a roster of that SD40-3 would be more acceptable.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
JRMDC

Ben, calm down!

First of all, how do "nearly every photo uploaded" compare to this one - are they all "outside the wedge"? Or are we looking at this one shot and you are bringing in info or a debate that we can't even see and respond to? Let's focus on the one image.

Here, I'm personally not a fan of the emphasis the foreground grass gets. This is in part because the rest of the image is stark/plain. Do something about that.

Second, this image actually has some movement, namely, light. Light is moving across from right to left. So you need to stop the movement. Do so by putting the engine closer to the left edge.

I personally am not a fan of the lack of perspective correction, I think with so few and distant verticals that they need fixing up. May be a personal preference.

That's all that comes to mind right now; I have to run. I'm not sure this will ever make RP, but I see you are trying something and it isn't unsuccessful, just needs more work, for RP or otherwise.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

Ben, your shots normally kick ass. This one does not mostly for what J. wrote above. But you said you tried to think outside the wedgie, but instead, it looks more like you thought outside the zooming in. It looks like a typical wedgie shot as wide as possible. Your photography usually makes my eyes go big and me say, "Wow." This one does not.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Ben, your shots normally kick ass. This one does not mostly for what J. wrote above. But you said you tried to think outside the wedgie, but instead, it looks more like you thought outside the zooming in. It looks like a typical wedgie shot as wide as possible. Your photography usually makes my eyes go big and me say, "Wow." This one does not.
I agree 100% with Joe on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
I always thought RP wanted everyone to start thinking outside the wedge. So...I try to get creative. This happens. Just don't get it...
I don't get this logic. So what you're saying is, since you decided to try something you thought was creative and "outside the wedge," RP should just accept it?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
PLEzero

Unfortunately, it's not doing much for me. Too much dead space. If the sky looked more like the one below it might be a different story. As the photo is now it's about 1/10th interesting sky and 9/10th's washed out gloom and doom.

Image © Wade H. Massie
PhotoID: 227264
Photograph © Wade H. Massie
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #7
jac_murphy

I like it too... a nice set of leading lines that converge on the horizon and emphasize the the openness of the shot. The locomotive and signal bridge are prominent enough so that they attract the eye but don't overwhelm the scene. I wouldn't mind if the sky had a bit more definition, but we can't always have perfectly dramatic skies.

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #8
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

I like the shot and idea, but it just isn't working for me. Like said above, if you had say a dramatic sky, or you somehow incorporated a stormy sky with a lightning bolt in the photo, then it can work. As for thinking outside the box, try different angles, or look for something interesting that relates to railroading. There's plenty out there.

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I like it, but think it would be better with a "little" cropping. Grass in front is now the subject.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
nikos1

Backlit and subject is dead center of the frame with relatively little visual interest surrounding it, whats not to get? Just because its not a wedge doesnt make it automatically good.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Ben,

I think the three J's of the active forum participants pretty much effectively summed this one up. All of your subjects are dead center. Maybe if the sky was a bit more dramatic, I'd try putting the signal and engine in the bottom part of the frame and allow that exciting and colorful sky fill up the rest of the scene.

At this point, a lot of the focus is on the foreground, which there's not a whole lot to view there, and the actual railroad subjects of the image are dead center..

I see a lot of potential for a really awesome night photo here, though? Did you try that? How was the light pollution?

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Dennis A. Livesey

One suggestion for a crop.

Maybe Matt Sell will see it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6817.1334007719.jpg (162.3 KB, 201 views)

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Ben,

I think the three J's of the active forum participants pretty much effectively summed this one up. All of your subjects are dead center. Maybe if the sky was a bit more dramatic, I'd try putting the signal and engine in the bottom part of the frame and allow that exciting and colorful sky fill up the rest of the scene.

At this point, a lot of the focus is on the foreground, which there's not a whole lot to view there, and the actual railroad subjects of the image are dead center..

I see a lot of potential for a really awesome night photo here, though? Did you try that? How was the light pollution?

Chase

Yup, one of you rejected it.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #14
coborn35

How is this creative? Not to be a jerk but it doesnt seem that creative to me. Backlit shot of an engine under some signals... You have much better work Ben.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:01 AM   #15
Ron Flanary

There was a good shot here, but I think you missed it. A slightly closer in wide with the signal bridge dominant on the right, and the sky making up 80 percent of the scene might have done it for me. This was a good idea, however, but you should have fired off a few more shots from different spots to give yourself some choices. I'm not sure you can salvage a winner from this one, however.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #16
DelmonteX

Not to pile on, but here's my two cents worth.

All the converging lines lead my eyes quickly right past what I presume to be the subject, the locomotive. When I look at the loco, the lines draw my eyes away from it. I think that also goes to the "bad cropping" concern.

My Railpictures.net photos

My other photos
DelmonteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #17
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile It shoud have been accepted!

I like it. But thinking out the wedge also creates risk. And as several have noted above, it probably repeat probably could be improved on....perspective correction, cropping, and so on. But that's the problem outside the wedge, there is far greater room for differences of opinion, for tinkering. Personally I think it should have gotten in....sometimes I think the screeners take away some of the discretion that properly should be left to the artist. It clearly meets minimum standards in my book. Could it be bettter. Maybe, maybe not. But it is good as is in my book. Or to put it another way, it is a heck a lot better than a lot of the wedgies that get acceptied.

Last edited by John West; 04-15-2012 at 03:54 PM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
DragonWolf

Dennis A. Livesey, please do not bring my name into any matters here. Besides...all you did was crop the sides.

Thank You, Matt Sell
DragonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #19
Ron Flanary

I would have cropped it either of these two ways.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RFEdit1.jpg (152.0 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg RFEdit2.jpg (120.3 KB, 417 views)
Old 04-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #20
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Smile

Maybe this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bigskylittleeng.jpg (229.1 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by John West; 04-16-2012 at 03:00 PM.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #21
JRMDC

So, who is Matt Sell, and why did Dennis invoke his name, and what was it about that invocation that would lead to an irritable response?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
DragonWolf

I dont know why Dennis brought my name into this. Ben asked on his facebook page whats wrong with the shot and I flat out told him nothing. I liked it for how he saw it. Given the same situation I would of done the same thing. But this is coming from someone who has been told they suck by one of RPs own.

Matt Sell
DragonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #23
loomus78

Ben, Nice color. I think there is a lot of drama and a story to be told. However, it maybe could've been better with a whole train rather than just a single locomotive. BTW, with 600 plus uploads I don't think every shot you upload is being rejected. Quit beating yourself up and have fun. Just my 2 cents...
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #24
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomus78 View Post
Quit beating yourself up and have fun. Just my 2 cents...
Hey...I returned from Lake Forest just in time to get a rejection myself today. I hammered myself with a two by four for about 30 minutes, and then did some work on the image and resubmitted. It was accepted. I feel much, much better now... (as if it mattered to begin with).

It's just an opinion...that's all. On another day, with other people, that shot could win a cash award. Opinions are never based on certainty.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #25
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonWolf View Post
Dennis A. Livesey, please do not bring my name into any matters here. Besides...all you did was crop the sides.

Thank You, Matt Sell
Consider it done. I will never invoke the name Matt Sell again.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote