Old 04-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
MassArt Images

Question Drone photography question - Camera quality

Which drone mfg. offers the best built-in camera in your opinion?
Has any of the drone mags done a comparison test?

My RP pics are HERE

My website is HERE
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
JimThias

Check the EXIF data of the drone photos on RP and you'll get a pretty good idea of what people think is the best.

Also, a couple of years ago I saw some camera comparison tests on youtube, so I'm sure there are current versions as well.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #3
Dennis A. Livesey

Aerial photography is changing so fast, info more than two days old is suspect.
For the benefit of weight and keeping costs down, integrated camera/gimbals are the way to go. Separate cameras a la a GoPro, is less desirable for affordable copters.
At this time, the sales leader DJI, makes excellent copter/gimbal/camera packages. You will most likely end up with them.
Just don't do what I saw one fan do while chasing 611 in 2015: We are trackside, the loco is minutes away and there is a guy who has just popped open the DJI case and is now reading the instructions...

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:32 PM   #4
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Just don't do what I saw one fan do while chasing 611 in 2015: We are trackside, the loco is minutes away and there is a guy who has just popped open the DJI case and is now reading the instructions...
Perhaps he lived inside the DC SFRA and couldn't legally fly the thing except in his garage.

For those intending to fly UAS to photograph the 611, please remember to avoid overflying crowds, keep it below 400 AGL, away from structures and more than 5 miles from the nearest airport.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:13 AM   #5
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Might have been the same guy who had to climb a tree at Shawsville to retrieve his after the wind got a hold of it.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:42 AM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Perhaps he lived inside the DC SFRA and couldn't legally fly the thing except in his garage.

For those intending to fly UAS to photograph the 611, please remember to avoid overflying crowds, keep it below 400 AGL, away from structures and more than 5 miles from the nearest airport.
My impression is that a good bit of 611's travels was followed by a helicopter. The one I saw was well under 400, I believe. The last thing we want to see is a drone/copter collision. Hope people are smart. I don't recall hearing of any issues last year.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:50 AM   #7
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
My impression is that a good bit of 611's travels was followed by a helicopter. The one I saw was well under 400, I believe. The last thing we want to see is a drone/copter collision. Hope people are smart. I don't recall hearing of any issues last year.
Hi J,

Helos are pretty much permitted to fly as low as they need to as long as they are able to make a safe emergency landing if needed, and they do not create a hazard to persons or property on the ground. It sounds pretty liberal, but there is a fine line between exercising those privileges to the max and being charged with careless and reckless operation. At altitudes below 500 AGL there is also a serious risk of collision with towers, wires and all manner of other hazards. Fortunately, most helo pilots are well-trained, experienced and careful. The same cannot necessarily be said of most "drone" pilots. FWIW, it is the responsibility of the "drone" pilot to not interfere with the operation of manned aircraft.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote