Old 03-24-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
LucasMR

Default Silhouette photo

Hi guys
I need your help/suggestion:
I have uploaded this photo, and it got rejected by "Backlit (Side): The visible side of the train does not feature enough light".

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...61&key=5935051

Well... my idea is to show the silhouette of the train and the bridge, like many other similar shots. The sides are supposed to be dark intentionally.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks !
Lucas
LucasMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
Kevin B.

I'm thinking the rejection is due to the fact that the rest of the scene is so well lit. These silhouette photos typically only "work" for RP when the entire scene is on the darker side...

But I could be wrong... LOL

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF-S 15-85mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f4L IS USM

My Railpictures.net Page
My Flickr Page
Kevin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
RobJor

Nice photo, I like the sky and a little detail in the foreground but as Kevin noted it could be they view just more as underexposed or backlit and not a real silhouette, sun looks high. I see you have a lot of nice photos and usually some description but here you opted out of any comment???? not sure where backlit ends and silhouette begins.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:33 PM   #4
Mgoldman

That looks like a shot that would've worked much better had the train been going the other way (naturally...). Our eyes are led to a very dark spot within the scene unfortunately. As for the rejection - "backlit" seems erroneous as all silhouettes are backlit and we known silhouettes are accepted on RP. Perhaps "Poor aesthetic quality" might be more appropriate. Still, the clouds are not obscuring the front of the train so as a screener, I'd have accepted it - but would like to see the overexposed sky fixed if possible. Another suggestion - go all black with the silhouette, or go the other way and provide more shadow recovery in the foreground (but not the train).

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #5
KevinM

I concur with Mitch. In a shot like this, go all black unless you can (and want to) show some foreground detail. As-is, the foreground looks more wicked underexposed than a true silhouette. I also agree that if you shot this a bit darker, the highlights in the clouds would not be so overexposed. It's a decent attempt and may be salvageable depending on what the original raw looks like.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #6
John Russell - NZ

Lucas, there have been some good points raised recently about photo rejection reasons - that they are sometimes just the most appropriate one that the photo screener may have. What the other guys have said should point you in the right direction. If this is a regular train, it might be worth trying for a more dramatic sky. For a bridge shot like this, keep it level and symmetrical. The banner photo might indicate RP likes silhouettes a lot more than I do so keep at it and score.
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
LucasMR

Thank you for the feedbacks !
I will try to go back to that location, and take another shot, in a more appropriate time and weather.
I thought the clouds made a interesting composition, but unfortunately, the overexposed portion of the sky definelly ruined the photo.

Thanks again !
Lucas
LucasMR is offline   Reply With Quote