Old 11-06-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default Advice Requested on This Shot Please

I felt good about this shot when I took it. Maybe too good. Various versions have been rejected four times now. I feel that it is a good shot and should be in the database. What do you guys think?

Note that it is two different shots in two slightly different forms. Both were shot at f5 for 30 seconds. It was almost completely dark, so I pointed my car headlights at the thing, got a focus, clicked the shutter on ten second delay and cut the lights off. Most of the time I shoot at ISO 200 because of grain, but I think the first rejected version may have been at 400.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=182213

That version was rejected for being too dark, which in hindsight, it probably was. So I tweaked it and resubmiited it as

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=182230

which was also rejected for being too dark. I appealed this one, but it was rejectad again with the note, "The color/contrast need additional work. Thanks!" I love to get feedback in the rejection notes and since this one wasn't "Keep this for your personal collection," I went back to an entirely different file and started from scratch. I upped the saturation and contrast a bit and came up with

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=182267

which to me makes the loco stand out more. The white on the unit also looks more of a true white. It was rejected for bad contrast. So I tweaked it again and came up with

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=182273

The pink sky only began showing up more prevalent when I was advised to work on the color/contrast. I think it looks cool and it goes to show that you never really know what the camera is capturing. However, what should I do with this one?

By the way, I love having the computer next to the TV. 24 to 7 Panthers!!!

Joe
Old 11-06-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

The third is the best of the bunch. It's not too far off from what I would consider acceptable on the site. A dark engine at night is a little difficult to capture. Perhaps if you can try this again with the light coming from your back more, it might help. I see a lot of light bleeding in from the right, and if you had that to your back, you would be able to take a quicker exposure.

There is definitely a bright contrast somewhere in this picture that is somewhat distracting. Whether or not you can fix that remains to be seen. If you could somehow tone down the glariness of the picture, maybe you'll have a chance. That, or give it a try again next time the train is parked somewhere, and not worry about this one. You may need to work on the white balance as well. That might be a little off.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #3
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

I also like the third photo but that light behind the train is very distracting.I'd like to take a photo like that sometime but unfortunatly most trains around here don't stop long enough.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:15 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

This one was also rejected for bad contrast. The thing is that I'm not doing too much with the contrast, mainly just lightening the shot up and upping the saturation a bit.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=182299

Joe
Old 11-06-2005, 11:19 PM   #5
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
This one was also rejected for bad contrast. The thing is that I'm not doing too much with the contrast, mainly just lightening the shot up and upping the saturation a bit.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=182299

Joe
I had a photo a couple days ago that was rejected for bad contrast but it was a day shot.Mine was a little lighter than It should've been and I think that was why it was rejected for bad contrast.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
ddavies

When you keep lightening up the pic, you loose contrast. I think they mean that there is too little contrast in the loco, rather than too much. Bring up the contrast in the train, rather than using your gray levels in the sky (the sky will go white, the way to avoid this is to shoot later, when the sky is very dark).
ddavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:50 AM   #7
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

I'd also run it through despeckle maybe.
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:11 AM   #8
Robby

I think you're suffering from noise from your camera sensor. This happens sometimes when using digital cameras for night shots or some lesser brand scanners when scanning film with lots of darker areas. Do a Google search for NEAT IMAGE and download it. This program works wonders with sensor noise and the such. Give it a try.

Robby
Robby is offline   Reply With Quote