Old 11-09-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
Crusader

Default Advice on "Bad Color"

I hope you guys can help me out here. I submited the attached photo, which was rejected for "Bad Color: not enough color depth or too much saturation."

I tried fixing it in Photoshop, but honestly didn't know what to do. I mean, should I increase saturation and contrast, or decrease it? Frankly the raw scan looked just as I remember the event. So I just sharpened and re-sized and submited it that way. My attempt at resubmission was also rejected. Same reason.

Suggestions?

-Charlie

PLEASE NOTE: I'm not linking to the rejected image because it will be purged from the site. I'm linking to an off-site version, which includes a copyright mark NOT included on the file submitted to RP.net. Also, the off-site version is smaller, 750 pix width, than the 1024 pix version submitted here. The color balance, saturation, sharpening, etc. are all the same however.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Looks like the colors are a bit flat. Depending on the severity of their flatness, it's usually an easy fix with Photoshop. I downloaded your shot and adjusted the contrast, color balance, and saturation just to see what I could come up with.

I may have gone a little too much on the magenta, but the colors on the locomotive are a bit more vibrant now. I wouldn't say that this one would be accepted or not, but this can kind of give you an idea on how to adjust.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:16 PM   #3
Crusader

Caleb -
Thanks! I'd looked at the thing so many times I couldn't "see" it, if you know what I mean. Taking your version as my cue, I played with the hue, balance, and saturation to match yours as closely as possible. Will try one more resubmission.
-Charlie
Old 11-09-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
ccaranna

For what it's worth, here's my attempt-

I think there's too much green in the color cast and not enough blue and red. I'm not an expert in the least, but I played around with the color contrasts in photoshop until I was able to get a result that I was happy with. I decreased the midrange greens, and the midrange blues slightly and came up with this:

I still couldn't get the dark future blue where I wanted it though, and the same holds true with the yellow on the nose. Would you happen to have the original image?
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #5
Crusader

Well, it was rejected for a 3rd time. Same reason. I'll retire it for awhile. May play around with it some more... or resub when another screener is on.
Thanks anyway Caleb & Chuck.
-Charile
Old 11-10-2005, 02:33 AM   #6
StL-rail

Send a message via AIM to StL-rail Send a message via MSN to StL-rail Send a message via Yahoo to StL-rail

Maybe its just me, but the way the photo is composed, the texture in the trees, and the vibrant colors on both the new GE and the fall foliage almost make it look like a well done oil painting, or a professional color pencil work. I only get that feel when viewing smaller versions of the photo. Anyone else get that effect, or is it just me?

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

-Canadian Pacific Conductor
-Union Pacific Conductor
-RRC Switchman
StL-rail is offline   Reply With Quote