Old 08-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
MacTown

Default Hmmm whats up with these?

Im not understanding the reasons why this one was rejected http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=404698&key=0

And on this one im thinking more needs to be cropped from the bottom??
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=546861045
MacTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTown
Im not understanding the reasons why this one was rejected http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=404698&key=0

And on this one im thinking more needs to be cropped from the bottom??
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=546861045
Luke,

For the first photo, in my opinion, the engines dominate the frame a little too much. Not enough of the train is visible behind them, which I can tell was your motive. In fact, I didn't even notice the end of the train right away, as my son brought it to my attention.

I would have taken the shot a split second earlier so that you can see more of the train instead of the locomotives. The shot is also pretty noisy in spots.

Looking through some recent examples of curve shots, I found one of my son's, which I like and think is a good example for shots like this:

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 195734
Photograph © Carl Becker

In that shot, you can see the front of the locomotive clearly but the rest of the train takes up more of the frame. It looks like the curve you shot at is similar to this curve, so I would go back and try a shot again a split second earlier.

For your glint shot, there is not enough space on the left. The train also is too close to the top of the frame. Other than that, IMO, it's a nice example of a glint shot.

~Louis Becker
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
MacTown

Man I just cant seem to get a picture to come out right at that location for some reason!! ACe's are my favorite so I still enjoy that shot. So it should look more like this one that I took http://luke.rrpicturearchives.net/sh...aspx?id=836016, as for the noise I dont know what was up with my camera yesterday most of my shots had that in it, only few days ago the pictures taken with it were fine, I'll work on the glint shot somemore and see what comes of it, thanks.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
Man I just cant seem to get a picture to come out right at that location for some reason!! ACe's are my favorite so I still enjoy that shot. So it should look more like this one that I took http://luke.rrpicturearchives.net/sh...aspx?id=836016, as for the noise I dont know what was up with my camera yesterday most of my shots had that in it, only few days ago the pictures taken with it were fine, I'll work on the glint shot somemore and see what comes of it, thanks.
Yes, that one is a better example. A modified crop (little off the bottom) and maybe a little off the right will get you an RP quality shot at that location. That one, however, looks like the sun might be a little high there.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
JRMDC

Glint shot: getting the train out of the center is a good idea, and I'm all for moving it well up and having an interesting foreground. And that's the problem, your foreground is bland and pretty dark to boot. So it doesn't belong. Yes, once you cut it out, you have an ordinary wedgie, but at least it is a nice glint wedgie. And wedgies are OK, anyway. But I do appreciate the idea of pushing the train up in the frame - this was just the wrong time/place to try it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

The crop is too tight on the first one. It also looks soft and has a lot of grain. In the second one, the noise is so bad on the nose, I can't believe anyone would look at that shot and think RP might accept it. I don't see any shot getting in.

Joe
Old 08-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
In the second one, the noise is so bad on the nose, I can't believe anyone would look at that shot and think RP might accept it.
You sure you don't want to rethink this, Joe????

Noise is often fixable. In a part of the shot where one expects no detail because it is supposed to be dark relative to the rest, fixing noise is trivial.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
You sure you don't want to rethink this, Joe????

Noise is often fixable. In a part of the shot where one expects no detail because it is supposed to be dark relative to the rest, fixing noise is trivial.
I have to agree with JRMDC here - noise is commonly fixable. I've even been able to make appearance better by sizing down an image before. Sometimes, it's difficult, but sometimes it's really easy.

Luke, can you post an unmodified original (except for size) here at ~1024 X 768 by chance? We then might be able to figure out a crop and get it fixed w/o as much compression for ya.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #9
MacTown

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=197172&nseq=0 kinda surprised me that it made it without a little more work, i'll take it though!

Last edited by MacTown; 08-12-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
JRMDC

All they wanted was a little more space in front? Ahhh, what do I know!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

Quote:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=197172&nseq=0 kinda surprised me that it made it without a little more work, i'll take it though!
Well, I don't know what to think. The noise is still really bad. If I saw that kind of noise on one of my shots, I would chunk it. If someone can fix that, more power to them. At some point, I'd rather do most of the work when the camera is still in my hands than in post processing unless there is really something spectacular about the shot. Which I don't see here.

I'm intereste in the comment "kinda surprised me that it made it without a little more work, i'll take it though!" You should only submit your best shots. I know sometimes we photogs get a feeling about our shots where we can't see them as others do. At least, I have this problem. But there seems to be a bit of bragging about getting it in. A sub par shot is still a sub par shot, no matter whether it gets in or not.

Joe
Old 08-13-2007, 02:11 AM   #12
MacTown

Umm Joe I dont know where you're getting it that im bragging, personally I wouldve rejected this photo because there is quite a bit of noise, I was about to take it off the que and work on it some more but it was accepted before I could, so why dont you just chill a little bit ok??

Last edited by MacTown; 08-13-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:46 AM   #13
becker
Louis Becker

In a glint shot, I find the dark nose to be the boring part - the glint along the side is the part that I like. I do see what Joe is saying; there is quite a bit of noise on the nose, but I don't find it a big problem here. If it were my photo, a little too much for my liking, but not a huge deal because it's not real distracting. Glad to see it got in.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:33 AM   #14
MacTown

Ok what about this one, still need to crop some of the right side out??? http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=671541659
Old 08-14-2007, 04:13 AM   #15
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Ok what about this one, still need to crop some of the right side out??? http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=671541659
Rejected for bad composition, not bad cropping.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:30 AM   #16
MacTown

ok then, what seems to be the main problem with the picture in how it is set up?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
Ween

Quote:
ok then, what seems to be the main problem with the picture in how it is set up?
The lead unit is too centered top to bottom. If it were me, I'd lose some sky to put the top of the UP unit higher in the frame:

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 156104
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

Also, on the right hand side, the train gets buried behind some trees that don't add much to the shot. Maybe crop closer to where the train disappears, add a little to the left to compensate and you should be good to go...
Old 08-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
Here's a similar shot that I have. I gave it a bit more space to let it breathe a little. Yours just seems too tight.

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 184511
Photograph © Jim Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #19
MacTown

Well there's a problem i didnt crop the left side that tight, thats just how I took the picture, the trees in the background really hurt in that situation becaues i crop out where the hoppers go behind them and I get a tight picture dont know if I can get the train composed in a way thats acceptible here.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 PM   #20
Mike B.
Banned

I just don't shoot on the outside of curves, except for when your elevated and can see over the train, like here.

When you can't see over the train it makes for a bad shot IMO because all you usually see is the power and maybe a couple cars. It puts the train in the center of the photo and just makes for an uninteresting photo. Tastes differ of course.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:56 PM   #21
Save The Wave
trainchaser.us

Send a message via MSN to Save The Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
-snip-
It puts the train in the center of the photo and just makes for an uninteresting photo. Tastes differ of course.
Definitely differ.
Image © Brian Wiggins
PhotoID: 192513
Photograph © Brian Wiggins

The good, the bad and the ugly. My railpics
Save The Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:24 AM   #22
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save The Wave
Definitely differ.
Image © Brian Wiggins
PhotoID: 192513
Photograph © Brian Wiggins
Sorry, but I don't like that picture. Too much of nothing on the right side, unless a field is something of interest...
Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 AM   #23
JRMDC

Sweet, Brad. Mike, what I see on the right is interesting texture and hue, and a train disappearing into the background. And the nose fills the right side by implied action, sweeping across, heading for the source of the glow.

But tastes differ.

Well, I might have cropped a bit from the right and top, but very little. It has great appeal as it is.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #24
Union Pacific Fan
Banned

The first is kind of grainy. The second is nice but needs some cropping.
Union Pacific Fan is offline   Reply With Quote