Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
Tåg

Default Railroaders in the photo?

I leaned out the window to give a railfan a wave today and he looked back at me like I destroyed his photo. Do railfans not want to see us in their photos?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Arne H. B.

Well it doesn't bother me one bit! I like to catch photos of crews at work on the railroad, and I am happy when they wave or smile, doesn't seem to happen much though. Usually it is the opposite, railroaders seem unhappy to see railfans
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tåg
I leaned out the window to give a railfan a wave today and he looked back at me like I destroyed his photo. Do railfans not want to see us in their photos?
Keep doin' it, Bob! Personally its the personal touch that takes an ordinary photo and takes it to the next level. I spent so many years trying to keep people out of my shots. Then, I took a look at photos from the 1940's, 50's, etc. and realized that people will one day look back at my photos and see "what it was like". The same goes for cars although there are times it is better they are not there. As for the crew or just a member of the crew being in the photo, I think it is fantastic. I am hesitant when taking closeups of the crew as I am not sure how they feel about it. Leaning out and waving seems like a good way to show you do not mind. Great question and thread, Bob!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
WetRailsWA

Send a message via MSN to WetRailsWA

I love it when railroaders acknowledge or honk when I'm trackside with my sons. Or even if I'm alone. I try to wave no matter what...learned that from years of waving to other motorcyclists. I hope one donkey clown with a bad temper doesn't ruin it for the rest of us who like it when we get a wave back.

Keep on doing it!

WetRailsWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
Mike B.
Banned

I always like it when I catch a crew member waving. It's always a pleasant surprise to see the guy waving when taking a close look at a photo.

I don't like it when a crew member gets in my shot that is just standing around and not doing anything. Then it looks more like a pedestrian rather than a railroad worker...doing railroad work. It's fantastic when I do catch a crew member doing something though.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

By all means wave. When I'm shooting pictures, unless I've planned to take the shot right as the train passes me, I'll lower my camera and wave after I've taken a shot of the train approaching.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

It looks unanomous so far. Keep at it. I always wave to the crews if I can, and most of the time get a wave back, if not before my wave.

Although most railfans aren't professional railroaders, there is still kind of a bond for most. Its kinda like what Wetrails said about fellow bikers, and in my case passing fellow emergency responders on the highway, whether in a service vehicle or their private vehicle with their blue light on the roof. A wave is usually always traded.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
WembYard

I'd say carry on waving. The only time I hate it are the (admittedly very occasional) ones that seem to think it amusing to make rude gestures.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
Ween

I had an engineer throw a bottled water at me one time. I think he was doing it as an act of kindness, even though he didn't wave. Or smile. Either way, I was grateful...I actually was a little thirsty!
Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #10
NSFan14

I love it when crews wave at me and I get it in the photo. I actually fell honored if the crew waves at me.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #11
Rich K

By all means please continue to wave when you see a railfan, and encourage your fellow rails to do the same. Most of us like it a lot I think.

We are your friends and your allies, and I personally am always pleased if I get a wave and/or a couple short blasts of the horn. I think capturing a friendly wave from the cab adds a bit of human touch to the shot.

Also, as Andrew mentioned earlier, people in the picture can help capture the times as they are now. As I was taking the shot shown here I could hear the engineer saying something to the old timer nearest to me. The train was crawling along due to a 10 mph slow order at the time.

I was happy to see (and hear) these three older gentlemen having such a good time railfanning and I just felt I needed to include them.

Image © Rich Kaminsky
PhotoID: 201495
Photograph © Rich Kaminsky

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #12
Tåg

The place we swap crews with the BNSF is a major railfan hotspot. I like to chat with the railfans a bit, and some of these guys know more about the RR than I do.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #13
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

I'm sure many railfans have had both good and bad encounters with crews. One of my favorites was while I was in Cresson with my friend Joe. The afternoon EB parade had just started and trains weren't clearing blocks fast enough so one coal train got the stops at MP 251 across from the Station Inn. I took the useless going away shot and continued talking to my friend. As soon as the train stopped I noticed the cab door open and engineer climb down the ladder. "Uh oh" was the first thing I thought. Mind you it was about 95+ degrees with a humidity somewhere around the surface of the Sun. He walked over and introduced himself and asked where he could get a drink so I pointed him in the direction of the McD's down the hill. He said thanks and proceeded to ask where we were all from and what lines were around there. When I mentioned the Shared Assets Line in Northern NJ, he said that he was a regular between Oak Island and P-burg. We continued chatting until he heard the dispatcher give him the signal to continue east. It was pretty cool meeting someone who was a regular on my "hometown" line, but the poor guy never got his drink! I now carry a cooler full of stuff and offer to crews and other 'fans when trackside.

Another one of my favorites is similar to Rich's story. The crews of H76 on the Portland Secondary always seem to get a kick out of my chasing there trains, probably because I look ridiculous running to the truck and taking off for the next spot. On one chase, I was shooting the train crossing one of the curved bridges through the woods which put the tracks a few feet from the road which is elevated as to be cab height. The grade SB/WB on this part of the line slows trains down to around 5 or 10mph. I took the shot of the train on the bridge and waited to watch and listen to the EMD roar by me. As the cab was passing the engineer leaned out and yelled that the train would be stopping at Martins Creek yard instead of continuing to Phillipsburg and Allentown. No need for a scanner when you can get firsthand info from a moving train.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #14
EMTRailfan

I had a similar experience to Andrew's at Gallitzin this summer only the engineer tossed a bag with 4 bottles of water to us when he stopped for the air test. It was freekin' hot that day and the H2O was very appriciated. My brother, the girls, and I were perched underneath the bridge to have some shade. See below. This is not the train that gave us the water, just a result of the location.
Image © Kevin Ashbaugh
PhotoID: 190943
Photograph © Kevin Ashbaugh

Let's just say that I've had some "insider" help during chases over the scanner too, off of the DS of coarse.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:50 AM   #15
CPwingMan

Default Coke and a Smile?

All of this talk about drink bottles reminds me of a story...
This is off track from the original intent of this thread but what the hey.
I will omit the date as to protect those involved, this was over ten years ago now.
I had a friend of mine from England in town and we decided to go to CSX's Sand Patch grade. Did the usual trip from Sand Patch down the hill to Cumberland hitting all of the railfan photo locations for morning light. Once in Cumberland I headed for the Helper Shack.
A good source of information about what was running on the mountain was the "helper shack" at Baltimore Street just up from the Amtrak station.
If you were lucky, a friendly on call helper crew would be at the small shack waiting to hear from the dispatcher on what train(s) they would need to help going up the hill. Many of them would share what was running and where the trains were at.
Well I stumbled across two very nice gentlemen who had a bit of a wait till they were needed. We struck up a conversation just like Andrew B. has mentioned above.
Where you from... Well with my British friend there the crew was intrigued that some one would travel around the world to come to Cumberland Maryland just to watch trains.
During the conversation, on that hot day, I casually pulled money from my pocket and told my friend to cross the street and buy four sodas.
Well... "Have a Coke and a smile" turned into have a Coke and a cab ride.
We hopped on a three unit set of EMD's around 3:00 PM and two round trips over Sand Patch later, we didn't get off till almost midnight.
We got some great pics, learned a lot about what it takes to get a train over a mountain, and had an experience very few non railroaders ever get.
I'm sure with good reason now a days a foreigner would not be offered such a random trip, especially one with a camera in tow.
As a side note, at the time many of the towers were still active and we had to duck into the nose of the units every time we passed a tower so that the tower operators would not see a "four" man crew on board.
CPwingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #16
Jaypee_Logger
Blasting over a red flag.

Send a message via MSN to Jaypee_Logger Send a message via Yahoo to Jaypee_Logger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tåg
The place we swap crews with the BNSF is a major railfan hotspot. I like to chat with the railfans a bit, and some of these guys know more about the RR than I do.
Thats the truth Bob. If you have any question about the railroad, ask a foamer. As from my point of view on the train i always wave to railfans, kids by the tracks watching trains, and people stopped at crossings. last winter I had a couple guys follow me from Ellensburg, WA to just outside Pasco, WA(about 100 miles). they must have seen me wave about 15 times. I wish they would have posted the pics somewhere so i could see them but no luck.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:22 AM   #17
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypee_Logger
Thats the truth Bob. If you have any question about the railroad, ask a foamer. As from my point of view on the train i always wave to railfans, kids by the tracks watching trains, and people stopped at crossings. last winter I had a couple guys follow me from Ellensburg, WA to just outside Pasco, WA(about 100 miles). they must have seen me wave about 15 times. I wish they would have posted the pics somewhere so i could see them but no luck.
A friend of mine who is an ex-BNSF engineer had someone follow him the whole way across Tehachapi Pass, and the person was even bold enough to ask when the train stopped if it could be moved slightly forward to a better spot for the photo! The funny thing was that, yes, he parked it in the exact spot the person requested. If only all engineers could be that accomodating to railfans!

Regarding the original topic, I see absolutely nothing wrong with crews waving in a shot. My son and I have several shots like this on here, a couple of examples:

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 189244
Photograph © Carl Becker

Image © Louis Becker
PhotoID: 154285
Photograph © Louis Becker

IMO, for the OP, keep on waving. If they have a problem with that, then it's theirs, not yours.
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:25 AM   #18
NSFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
I had a similar experience to Andrew's at Gallitzin this summer only the engineer tossed a bag with 4 bottles of water to us when he stopped for the air test. It was freekin' hot that day and the H2O was very appriciated.
One time a CSX Q Train was pulling into Osborne yard and I was takin a photo. Then all the sudden the engineer threw me and my dad a water bottle that said CSX Summer spike 2007
Old 10-08-2007, 04:37 AM   #19
MP3CNLetallier

I rather like it when I get a wave from the train crews, just like how it shows the human element to railroading. Sure the locomotives are great big powerful machines, but there's also the people controlling them, both are welcome in any photo I take.

Plus the water is an added bonus, have had CN crews toss me water several times.

http://hooliganx.rrpicturearchives.net/ My rrpicturearchives page.
MP3CNLetallier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:53 AM   #20
NicTrain35

I really like when crews wave to me. It adds a lot to the photo. Sometimes, I don't see the crew waving when I'm really focusing on a photo, but when I get home to transfer the photos to the PC, it's a nice feeling to see that the crew had given me a wave.

I would definitely continue waving, Bob. Many people (especially kids) would love it.

My pictures at RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3955
NicTrain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #21
Khalua10

I like to get a wave from the train crews in a shot, adds a bit to it I think

Image © HTTR
PhotoID: 190473
Photograph © HTTR
Khalua10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #22
Tåg

Sam
I have had a guy follow me all the way from Klamath to Oakridge in his red car. Im certain he got some good photos. There was another time my conductor and I were picking black berrys while we were stopped at Oakridge. There were several railfans there that day, and we were suprised they didnt come over and say hi.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #23
EMTRailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tåg
Sam
I have had a guy follow me all the way from Klamath to Oakridge in his red car. Im certain he got some good photos. There was another time my conductor and I were picking black berrys while we were stopped at Oakridge. There were several railfans there that day, and we were suprised they didnt come over and say hi.
I chase a local regularly myself. As far as the railfans not even saying hi when you were picking berries, I probably would have taken advantage of that just to say hi and let the RR crew carry the convo farther if they wish to. If the fans felt like I do when I chase my local, you are working and we are "playing" and we should not bother you (just my reasoning). My local will break for lunch at a local convenience store, and I snack at the same time as they, and I am even in there at the same time quite a bit. I don't bother them then either, because now they are on their time, and not the RR's. We have thrown a couple hellos back and forth, and a few brief chats trackside, but I always let the crew initiate because I don't want to bother them when they are working. I'll shoot the bull with anyone, but with respect as above.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #24
Drewster

I loved waving out the window or popping my head out the door to wave at railfans, it was the fun part of the job. And on the otherside i wish more crews would wave at me in my photos. But nothing beats a friendly familiar face waving back at you, for example, my friend garrett in stockton waving out the window

Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote