Old 11-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default This rankles me.....

Keeping in line with Mike Banned's thread, what? This guy couldn't find out what Norfolk Southern's reporting marks are? Can't do a quick search to make sure he's got the loco model right?

Image © Michael Mösken
PhotoID: 257333
Photograph © Michael Mösken

When I'm in doubt, before I load a shot to RP, I actually search RP for reporting marks and loco models. Duh.

I love the shot, by the way. Really nice colors.

Joe

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 11-05-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

Well, in the interest of full disclosure, I should confess that I'm a moron.

In showing how easy it was to find the correct engine designation, I did a search on "Norfolk Southern 8869." It brought up one of my shots. And, boy, did that humble pie really taste awful. My shot of NS 8869 was really, uhm, not corrrectly idenified via engine number or loco model.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Corrections have been sent and I promise not to work 14 hours one day, stay up late watching election returns, come into work at 4 a.m. and then post here again.

Joe
Old 11-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Well, in the interest of full disclosure, I should confess that I'm a moron.

Corrections have been sent and I promise not to work 14 hours one day, stay up late watching election returns, come into work at 4 a.m. and then post here again.

Joe
Joe, don't do that. The rest of us need our morning chuckle!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
Ween

If it's something blatant, I wish the screener's would do more "Bad Info" rejects. Man, they do NOT mess around on jetphotos or airliners if you have something wrong, regardless of how minute; they will bounce it.

An example: I uploaded a photo of a KC-135. The have an option to select civilian or military for type of aircraft, and with civilian set as the default, I overlooked checking military during the upload process. After five (5!) days in the queue, it got bounced for that mistake that would have taken less than a second for the screener to fix by checking the correct option.

That's the polar opposite of here where an ES44AC can be incorrectly listed as an SD70M and it gets accepted. Which is odd...it seems that comments on photos here get a closer look than actual database info!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
chris crook

May we all have such minimal problems to worry about in our lives.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

This isn't RRPA. If I wanted to do a search for this lead engine.....

Image © Frank Jolin/Railfan60
PhotoID: 259095
Photograph © Frank Jolin/Railfan60
Old 11-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
chris crook

I guess this is self-policing. But wouldn't dropping a note to the admins or even the photographer be a more productive way to do it, rather than a public admonishment?

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
khalucha

Maybe I am searching the wrong areas but I tried to find out what a loco was a few times and it turned up nothing, or something that it was not.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris crook
I guess this is self-policing. But wouldn't dropping a note to the admins or even the photographer be a more productive way to do it, rather than a public admonishment?
Who needs productive when you can hjave a "public admonishment?"

Joe
Old 11-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha
Maybe I am searching the wrong areas but I tried to find out what a loco was a few times and it turned up nothing, or something that it was not.
If it wasn't found on RPN, you probably had what would be the 1st photo of it in the DB. If I can't find it on RPN, I use thedieselshop as a back up.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #11
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Who needs productive when you can hjave a "public admonishment?"

Joe
Everyone likes to see a good flogging now and then............

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #12
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore
Everyone likes to see a good flogging now and then............
How about public execution instead? Or we could just strap the offending photograph to the rails and let it get run over by a speeding coal drag . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:33 AM   #13
Carl Becker

The Diesel Shop website is riddled with a number of errors in the class one rosters alone. They seem to get the basic SD40-2 and C44-9W right, but as soon as you get to the GP28M (or is it -2? ) problems are frequently encountered.

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:36 AM   #14
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
Or we could just strap the offending photograph to the rails and let it get run over by a speeding coal drag
Just like this cupcake?

Old 11-08-2008, 02:38 AM   #15
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
The Diesel Shop website is riddled with a number of errors in the class one rosters alone. They seem to get the basic SD40-2 and C44-9W right, but as soon as you get to the GP28M (or is it -2? ) problems are frequently encountered.

~Carl Becker
Care to share of any specific errors? They are now classified as GP28Ms.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:37 AM   #16
jnohallman

Quote:
Just like this cupcake?
Exactly!!!

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:39 AM   #17
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:

~Carl Becker
Hey Carl - Not to jump on you too... but I'm a huge fan of the Diesel Shop... got to throw huge kudos to anyone willing to put that much work into just sharing information with the rest of us.

Would you please site some specific examples of actual errors?

Thanks, Charles
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:32 AM   #18
Ween

I've tried to e-mail the Diesel Shop in the past, but my stuff always gets bounced back. Am I missing something?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:26 AM   #19
becker
Louis Becker

(message deleted - logged into wrong account)

Last edited by becker; 11-13-2008 at 01:30 AM. Reason: wrong account
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:29 AM   #20
Carl Becker

Hi Charles,

I do completely understand what you are saying here. I imagine that it did take quite a bit of work to come up with such a site. However, when running a site like that, I think it's necessary to either be around to update it or have someone else available, as well as frequently check to make sure all your database information is correct.

Just as an example, on the BNSF roster page, note the "2255-2369" slot. It says they're all GP38s. I have a photo of the 2296 in the database, and I'm sure I also have a couple of the other units also.

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 231925
Photograph © Carl Becker

That unit is supposed to be a plain GP38. Yet, look at the attachment. That's a crop from the above image with spicy contrast. You can clearly read "GP38-2."

Also, all BNSF "GP38X"s suddenly changed to "GP38AC"s. I've updated all my photos to this, but it doesn't look like many others noticed the change based on how many photos still list the old model.

I've never solved the mystery of this unit.

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 213917
Photograph © Carl Becker

The site shows it as a GP38, but whenever I upload a photo of it, someone adds the "-2."

I've tried to send the sitemaster info on some errors numerous times, but I always get told that the mailbox is invalid. That's a real problem with keeping up a site like that one.

~Carl Becker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bnsf_2296.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	3513  

Last edited by Carl Becker; 11-13-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:03 AM   #21
Freericks
Met Fan

Carl,

I think the issue is the difference between railroad classification and locomotive manufacturer classification (which is further blurred by rebuild companies having their own classifications). The locomotive in the top image, for example, without doing any research on it, is clearly a GP38, not a -2. It may very well say -2 on it, and I'm sure the research will show that it is a -2 in BNSF's books. That could be because it was rebuilt by NRE or MPI into -2 specs. But then you get into this weird game that loco spotters have to play. Is it a huge rebuild program like the Paducah GP8/GP10 or Santa Fe's CF7 where everyone recognized the new nomenclature, or is it one of the dozens upon dozens of GP38-2/SD40-2 programs where everything from GP38s and SD40s to GP30s and SDP45s are now classified as GP38-2s and SD40-s by their railroads due to rebuild programs that they went through.

I am very willing to forgive these types of discrepencies, and take it upon myself to subscribe to Extra 2200 South to follow these changes to satisfy my own rivet counting. I don't think it's possible to be correct on these types of differences... but that being said, I totaly and completely understand your frustration with them. The ATSF with their GP39-2us that then went back to being GP39-2s (the whole fleet seemed to have "u" at the end of it in the late 1980s and then didn't again in the 1990s) drove me batty.

Thanks for pointing out your issue. I get what you're talking about now.

Charles
Old 11-13-2008, 02:12 AM   #22
Carl Becker

Charles,

I'm not at all trying to imply that I don't believe what you're saying, but what exactly is the obvious difference between a GP38 and a GP38-2?

~Carl Becker
Old 11-13-2008, 02:49 AM   #23
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Charles,

I'm not at all trying to imply that I don't believe what you're saying, but what exactly is the obvious difference between a GP38 and a GP38-2?

~Carl Becker
Well Carl, I'd love to answer, but I think I have a plate of crow here that I need to eat first. I was going to say the springs on the trucks and the grill on the radiator, but then I saw that dang little water level sight glass in your picture that I had completely missed the first time I looked... which could only be on a Dash 2... and I realized... I might be wrong!!!!

In fact, the early, early, early Dash 2s had the leaf springs and the grills on the radiators. So now I'm down to looking for hinges on the battery box cover... and D'oh... no hinges... and that looks like a really, really early Dash 2.

I am going to try and do some research on this series in the morning, however, and see what the story with this unit is. It might be a very early Dash 2, or it might be something kitbashed. I'm not 100% sure.

Either way, please accept my apology. The water sight glass and lack of battery box hinges, do seem to make it a Dash 2 from EMD.

Last edited by Freericks; 11-13-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:41 AM   #24
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
Carl,

I think the issue is the difference between railroad classification and locomotive manufacturer classification (which is further blurred by rebuild companies having their own classifications). The locomotive in the top image, for example, without doing any research on it, is clearly a GP38, not a -2. It may very well say -2 on it, and I'm sure the research will show that it is a -2 in BNSF's books. That could be because it was rebuilt by NRE or MPI into -2 specs. But then you get into this weird game that loco spotters have to play. Is it a huge rebuild program like the Paducah GP8/GP10 or Santa Fe's CF7 where everyone recognized the new nomenclature, or is it one of the dozens upon dozens of GP38-2/SD40-2 programs where everything from GP38s and SD40s to GP30s and SDP45s are now classified as GP38-2s and SD40-s by their railroads due to rebuild programs that they went through.

Charles
Once the railroad has modified the unit, I go by whatever the railroad decides to call it.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #25
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
Well Carl, I'd love to answer, but I think I have a plate of crow here that I need to eat first. I was going to say the springs on the trucks and the grill on the radiator, but then I saw that dang little water level sight glass in your picture that I had completely missed the first time I looked... which could only be on a Dash 2... and I realized... I might be wrong!!!!
I do not mind. I'm actually quite interested in this as I've never really done any investigation.

I'm going to contact a source off of the forums and see if they can offer any input.

~Carl Becker

Last edited by Carl Becker; 11-13-2008 at 12:23 PM.