Old 03-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
chazcee

Default NS Heritage Units--Where will they go?

I have a question about the Norfolk Southern Heritage locomotives which are now starting to go into service. Can anyone tell me if their assignments on the NS system either be (1) determined by “luck of the draw” or whatever method that normally controls where new locomotives go or (2) monitored by corporate to make sure they are exposed across the system?

Of course, the third option could be a combination of the two where in they will randomly roam unless one or more gets stuck in back and forth assignment in one district or on one route in which case corporate might step in and direct that the unit be moved. Anyone know how this will work?

Finally, is anyone or group planning to “track’ their location via a public web bulletin board or forum?

I live within 3 miles of NS here in Louisville and cross the tracks usually multiple times per day. I see upwards of 20 trains each week; I certainly hope to see most if not all the Heritage units in person.
chazcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

My guess is they will be assigned where the majority of their AC traction locomotives are; coal service and mountain grades. The Conrail unit is currently deep in the coalfields of WV on the former Virginian RR loading coal. The Southern Unit was trailing on a loaded coal train heading to Tidewater. After I got skunked on the Southern unit after a swap in Roanoke, it doesn't appear NS is going to waste million dollar wonders on trains they don't need them on.

But who knows for sure?

I'll be hedging my bets that the majority will be calling the old VGN, and NW home frequently.

Loyd L.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazcee View Post
Finally, is anyone or group planning to “track’ their location via a public web bulletin board or forum?
Search "NS Heritage Locomotives", "NSDash9.com", and "AltoonaWorks" on facebook. Those will be your most reliable sources for information.

NS knows these units are 'special' and will likely operate them accordingly. I wouldn't be surprised if these units show up at public events or running special trains such as the OCS at some point. With that being said they are AC, and NS is very particular where AC power runs. There are only certain trains AC power is 'allowed' to operate on. So far, to the best of my knowledge, that trend has not been broken.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
tidewaterrailfan

it is usually luck off the draw like me and my father caught central of Georgia at night coming out of lambards point yard.
tidewaterrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
crazytiger

My understanding from the PR side of NS is that these units will pretty much roam the entire system. That said, in the first month of service, that hasn't happened so much...

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #6
nikos1

There seems to have been a miscommunication between the PR and motive power departments...the PR department wanted them to roam the system, the motive power isn't going to let AC power go to waste, so most likely they will continue in coal service in the middle of BFE getting a nice coating of coal dust in the process.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
oltmannd

Default Everywhere, more or less

The heritage units have been roaming around a good bit, though mostly on unit trains. Right now, one is near Elkhart, one near Columbus OH, one in Detroit, one in western PA, one in Portsmouth OH, one in Bluefield and three are in Roanoke, VA.

In recent days, they've been in Baltimore, New Orleans and Camden NJ. I'd say the cage has done a good job of scattering them around.

The only one that seems to be stuck is the Southern green one that seems chained to the hills of WV.
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Mark Rosnick

Call me crazy but wouldn't be nice to have the units roam the rails of the former roads that they're painted for? I realize NS wants to use AC power for certain trains, but I guess I'm just dreaming because it would be nice to see the Pennsy unit in Enola.
Mark Rosnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
oltmannd

The PRR unit has operated quite a bit on ex-PRR territory. In fact, it is in Altoona right now.

It's much harder than it might seem to keep a locomotive restricted to one area. Nobody it going to delay a train for power because this particular locomotive isn't supposed to go in "that direction."
Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

It seems pretty easy, though, for them to keep most of them to a region. The only two units I am aware that have come south is the Conrail unit and the CoG one that came as far south as Winston-Salem, NC. I'm with Mark Rosnick. Let them roam from time to time.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
oltmannd

Default Nkp

Nickel Plate unit is on 179 between Chatt and B'ham today.

Tags
heritage, locomotive, norfolk southern