Old 07-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
L&A Conductor

Default Lookin for some insight!

Hello everyone im new to takin pictures professionally. Ive worked in the railroad industry for 4yrs now and have always takin pics but i just recently bought a SLR Camera to get more into it!

But anyway I submittied 2 pictures the other day, one of which was accepted and has had alot of hits and good things said about it. But the other was rejected for Poor Esthetic Quality? I was wondering what else i should have done to get a better or more acceptable photo? Like i said im new to photography and my camera is a Canon Rebel XTi with the stock lens.

Thanks, Chris

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=704035&key=0
Old 07-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

Personally, I like the picture that was rejected. I might have backed off a tad on the mile marker (feels like you're a bit too tight on it). Some may argue that the depth of field could have been even shallower, blurring the train even more, but I have to admit, I am not of that school. I like the DOF as it is.

My guess is that this is a shot that might have gotten in with a different screener, or even with the same screener on a different day. I don't think it is a cut and dry PEQ, as some are.

Did you take a couple frames of this? Or is this the only version? If you did take other frames, share them.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
L&A Conductor

Ok yea i see what your sayin..

I took 4 all together, here are the other 3

Old 07-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I like the first one, but you seem to be leaving a lot of dead space on the left, some are overexposed, but the main problem is how the trees in front of the train just kill the shot.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Some may argue that the depth of field could have been even shallower, blurring the train even more, but I have to admit, I am not of that school. I like the DOF as it is.
I am of that school. Shallower DoF, or deeper, getting the engine in focus.

Quote:
My guess is that this is a shot that might have gotten in with a different screener, or even with the same screener on a different day. I don't think it is a cut and dry PEQ, as some are.
No, I don't think so, the light is poor. Go shoot it again on a nicer day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
I like the first one, but you seem to be leaving a lot of dead space on the left, some are overexposed, but the main problem is how the trees in front of the train just kill the shot.
For sure! That branch looks like debris rather than part of something in the soil - perhaps it is easily moved?

I think I'd rather see a bit more of the MP, not only should you never cut off the "1" but try to show more of the post below that.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
L&A Conductor

Ok i see what your all sayin!

Also another thing i am just takin the pics on the No Flash setting...Im not sure enough on all the settings to take a munual photo yet, so i dont think i can change the exposure can i?

Last thing, are we allowed to edit the photos to some constrant that we take before submitting them. For instance lighting, blurring and other easy fixes?

Thanks, Chris
Old 07-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
Freericks
Met Fan

Best one is the first one, but I agree, there is too much dead space on the left.

The lighting is bad in all of them, however, to my personal taste, this does not kill the shot. I like the moodiness of it.

The branch however... well, it was my bad for not comenting on this before, because I did notice it. To be honest, it is distracting and almost needed to be cut. Maybe not by the photographer, as that would be wrong, but if a friendly passerby happened to snap it off, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

This is a really nice location, and I think you should try this shot again, with even more of the mile marker in the image than any of these shots show. I would play with the DOF, getting the train more and less in focus. This is going to come down to a matter of taste, but the screeners themselves also have their personal opinions on the matter, so you are going to have to appeal to someone's taste on this.

It's a very well thought out shot. I think, however, in the end, you just missed this time.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

That's an outstanding concept for a shot. The branches obstructing the locomotive need to be removed (or cloned out) and I'd apply some selective sharpening to the milepost the really bring out the texture on it.

Yes, you are allowed to adjust contrast and all of the rest - 95% of the shots that are worth looking at here didn't look exactly like that coming out of the camera. Here's a good before/after thread showing the differences:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=8432

Keep at it - you're showing a lot more natural talent for photography than most of the other guys who are just starting to take things seriously.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
L&A Conductor

Ok thanks for your comments! That helps me alot and thats my normal route to new orleans so im sure i can catch that spot again sometime and maybe that tree will be gone next time...

Thanks again for the words of incouragement! I have been using Photoshop for a while and im pretty good at that, just wanted to get on the other side of the lens ya know. So i will play with the pics and see what i can before i post them.

Thanks, Chris
Old 07-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #10
nikos1

Go vertical!
Thats my 2 cents since others have covered most of the important stuff.
I definitely like the idea, i love old concrete mileposts, looking forward to seeing a reshoot.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote