Old 03-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
miningcamper1

Default Oh, that certain color!

I suppose I was overdue for a rejection, hue in this case.

I don't see it- the image is faithful to the Ektachrome slide.

Hue-spotters please!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19730900a1000.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	650.1 KB
ID:	9101  

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
KevinM

Hmmmm.... I don't think whatever hue they are complaining about is all that terrible. Neat shot, actually. Have you tried one of those color-picker tools in which you use the eyedropper on something that should be black, white or grey? If there's a color cast, that will often fix it. PSE has something called "Correct Color Cast." I am assuming that PS has something similar. In Lightroom, it's the Color Picker in the Develop Panel.

Anyway, it should be an easy fix. It isn't that bad to begin with. I have seen lots of film shots with color casts that are a bunch worse.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hmmmm.... I don't think whatever hue they are complaining about is all that terrible. Neat shot, actually. Have you tried one of those color-picker tools in which you use the eyedropper on something that should be black, white or grey? If there's a color cast, that will often fix it. PSE has something called "Correct Color Cast." I am assuming that PS has something similar. In Lightroom, it's the Color Picker in the Develop Panel.

Anyway, it should be an easy fix. It isn't that bad to begin with. I have seen lots of film shots with color casts that are a bunch worse.
Morning light. Maybe it's a tad too warm for 10 or 11 AM?

Last edited by miningcamper1; 03-01-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: additional text
Old 03-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
RobJor

On my screen the "greens" look a little off, very dull. When I did auto tone it did not change the tower much but the "greens" became a little more green, vibrant. Similar in the RAW converter the auto temp warmed the photo a little
so a guess???? too blue??

Bob
RobJor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #5
Decapod401

Based on my considerable experience with color/hue rejections of slide scans earlier on, I have found that minimizing the purple, and possibly the aqua, saturation usually corrects the situation. Believe me, it took a long time to come up with that solution, and now I begin every LR session by sliding those two saturation sliders all the way to the left, and then adjust tint/temperature as needed.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
Based on my considerable experience with color/hue rejections of slide scans earlier on, I have found that minimizing the purple, and possibly the aqua, saturation usually corrects the situation. Believe me, it took a long time to come up with that solution, and now I begin every LR session by sliding those two saturation sliders all the way to the left, and then adjust tint/temperature as needed.
You're talking about Saturation and Vibrance.....correct? That's an interesting approach. I'll have to try that myself.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
You're talking about Saturation and Vibrance.....correct? That's an interesting approach. I'll have to try that myself.
I'm only talking about saturation in this case. I do sometimes add a little vibrance on a global basis after the fact if I think the colors look a little weak, but most of my color correction happens in the tint and temperature sliders. I also temporarily move the global saturation slider to 100% to see if the colors remain "true" when oversaturated. If not, I make further adjustment to the temperature and tint before zeroing the saturation slider.

Let me know if you have any interesting results from this approach. Of course, we're all still waiting for you to share your other processing secrets with us!
Old 03-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #8
Mgoldman

I'll often use Photoshop's "Auto color" to proof a shot if I'm suspicious or get a rejection as such.

In this case, it appears the scene is a bit warm, the sky a bit aqua and in many other "proofs", contrast is lacking, specifically in the bottom half of the scene.

I think the contrast fix will get you back into the zone, while the color issue might be discretionary - a preference for warmth, though I prefer the cooler, not cold - more purple in the sky to aqua.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #9
Decapod401

I should add that I am talking about slide scans, where there is very likely some temperature/color mismatch between the film image and the scanner. I have processed quite a few digital images from my wife's digital point-and-shoot, and it takes quite a bit less effort.

I usually start my temperature/tint adjustment with LR's white balance tool, and it almost always requires further manual tweaking.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #10
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I'll often use Photoshop's "Auto color" to proof a shot if I'm suspicious or get a rejection as such.

...the sky a bit aqua
Auto-adjust (IrfanView) cut the contrast a bit, but did not alter the colors in this scene. I'll see what my other computer does with it.

As for the sky color, it's classic Ektachrome. Kodachrome was much more "steely", like a colorized black and white (which is what Kodachrome actually was!).

I actually thought this slide would be the slam-dunk, and the E44 shot would be shot down for no-light-on-the-nose!

Old 03-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #11
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
As for the sky color, it's classic Ektachrome. Kodachrome was much more "steely", like a colorized black and white (which is what Kodachrome actually was!).
One of the knocks on Ektachrome vs. Kodachrome was that Ektachrome faded much more rapidly, although your slides look strong 40+ years later. On the other hand, I have a friend whose 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 Ektachromes from the 1950's and 1960's are quickly becoming celluloid windowpanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
I actually thought this slide would be the slam-dunk, and the E44 shot would be shot down for no-light-on-the-nose!
I would have called it the same way - I had a short line S2 shot with almost identical lighting get rejected yesterday, but your subject matter trumped mine.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:02 AM   #12
Mgoldman

This is what I get with PS "auto-color":

/Mitch

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Color Issue.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	9103  
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #13
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
This is what I get with PS "auto-color":

/Mitch

Thanks, Mitch. Seeing the side-by-side really highlights the difference.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:54 AM   #14
troy12n
Banned

All you need to do is de-saturate yellow channel some
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #15
AmtrakFan1093

a little overexposed? The PS autofix brought out a lot of detail on top of the elevator.
AmtrakFan1093 is offline   Reply With Quote