Old 07-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
amtrakboy

Default Balance Rejection--Please explain!!

Hi guys!!
I have here a photo, rejected for "high sun," and the "overall balance" rejection. I am 100% totally lost as to just exactly what they mean by the "balance" rejection. It is rather vague. Please explain what I might do to improve it. Thanks for all advice/criticisms/suggestions!!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=465948315

I might also ask, while I am here, how do you determine just the right angle of the sun to avoid the "high sun" problem--another of the problems I struggle with the most?
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

for me personally, if the shadow of one or both of the railheads is down more than halfway on the rail, or if its a face on shot, if half the snowplow is shadowed, its high sun.

In your shot, the front lighting is good, but the side is shadowed, and there isn't much definition of the trucks. This tells me the sun wasn't behind you, but off to the right side, almost directly in front of the train. I wouldn't call it high sun, but the lighting is poor.

compo/balance in this instance is telling you the crop is off.. too much space in front of the train, and the train is basically centered vertically in the frame..

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 07-30-2007 at 05:07 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
WembYard

The train is too far to the left. I would crop about halfway across the canopy (say at the peak of the roof) and a little of the top and bottom to keep the ratio the same.

High sun basically means that it is not shining on the trucks, usually caused by being high in the sky in the middle of the day during the summer. In this case though, I think that the sun is shining straight down the track, not really lighting either side of the train, so "high sun" can really apply at any time of day

HERE is an example that would probably be rejected for "high sun", although it was taken at ten to eight in the morning. The sun is not high in the sky, just at the wrong angle to correctly light the subject.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
amtrakboy

Thanks a million guys!!! I am going to try that same location earlier in the day(around 8am our time here in St. Louis). Let's see what happens!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
amtrakboy

I recropped the picture, for illustrative purposes only, to put it out there to see if this is how you meant I should crop it to overcome the "balance" rejection. Even though I now know it would be hit for "high sun," at least I want to gain an understanding as to how it should be cropped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Texas Eaglecopy.jpg.JPG (53.3 KB, 105 views)
Old 07-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
Rich K

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard
In this case though, I think that the sun is shining straight down the track, not really lighting either side of the train, so "high sun" can really apply at any time of day
I have had rejections for high sun which more correctly would fall in the category of "head-on sun" rather than high sun, just as WembYard explains here.

One of my favorite spots for photographing Norfolk Southern train traffic is pretty much useless this time of year until after about 6pm. Before that the sun seems to travel a path directly over and in line with the tracks, which keeps either side of the train in shadow and makes the railhead shadow reach all the way to the bottom of the rails even at 8am. After 6pm the sun is a little northwest of the track and evening shots are possible.

You might want to try a different time of day, or maybe even a different time of year, to retry this one. Also, I think a little tighter crop is in order here, similar to your example in post #5.

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy
I recropped the picture, for illustrative purposes only, to put it out there to see if this is how you meant I should crop it to overcome the "balance" rejection. Even though I now know it would be hit for "high sun," at least I want to gain an understanding as to how it should be cropped.
I'd cut some more off the bottom myself...

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrakboy
I think more needs to be done instead of just a simple crop. If you go back to that location, take a few steps to the left to avoid that high clump of grass that's a little distracting. You've got a long section of NOTHING impeding the view of the tracks to the left of that grass, so try to line up the right side of the frame just to the left of that grass. Also, it appears there is a tree or something else further down the tracks just out of the frame. You can use that to add something interesting in the background on the left side, especially since this is just a basic wedgie shot. Maybe you can even incorporate what looks to be an overpass in the background, too. IMO, the picnic area out in front of the train just doesn't do enough for the image, and if anything, takes the attention away from the main subject.

You might want to try to get down lower to "hide" the powerlines in back of the train, although you'll probably still see the poles sticking up.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #9
amtrakboy

Thanks Jim!!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

This shot also looks soft or slightly out of focus.

Joe
Old 07-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard
HERE is an example that would probably be rejected for "high sun", although it was taken at ten to eight in the morning. The sun is not high in the sky, just at the wrong angle to correctly light the subject.
You can tell from the shadows of the handrails that it isn't high sun - but you have to be paying close attention.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote