Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Jeff Terry

Default Snow blower rejection

I'm baffled by this one. Any suggestions for improvement? I thought the shot was rather unique.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=847979221
Jeff Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
KevinM

You've got me, Jeff. Looks like a sure Top of the Last 24 to me!

Edit: This is the kind of situation for which the appeals process was designed!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 12-14-2010 at 12:56 AM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
Ween

It looks like it was shot on Private Property...if you're an employee or had permission, appeal and say that...
Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
troy12n
Banned

Their loss...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #5
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
It looks like it was shot on Private Property...if you're an employee or had permission, appeal and say that...
That's a stupid thing to say... you been there?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
First of all, you're the one that sounds stupid by saying "...you been there?". Jeff is a railroad employee, I'm not certain if it's for the one pictured or not but he appears to be standing close enough to the tracks to be trespassing. Ween simply said it LOOKS like he could be trespassing. That's a pretty fair statement judging by the focal length and his location next to the tracks.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
coborn35

Why does it matter?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:37 AM   #8
Mgoldman

So many sarcastic answers come to mind but instead I'll have to agree with Kevin. There's no p... whoops, almost let one slip out. I'd certainly appeal this one. One can only hope it was meant to be accepted but the wrong button was pressed.

Cool shot - great capture!

- D. Valentine.

(and I tried so hard)
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:41 AM   #9
JRMDC

In my observation RP has always stayed away from MoW equipment photos. Not that they never get on, but in quite a number of cases the only issue appears to be simply that they are MoW and RP is not into that.

One comment on this shot, unrelated to PEQ, I think the shot is poorly balanced. The snow is being blown off the left side and the biggest action appears to be just at or off the left edge. The snow chunks are bigger, the "cloud" is higher. Next time include more on the left.

Sort of like steam, you need to leave room for the plume. Here, you have the equipment ideally placed in the frame were it not blowing at the time.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 AM   #10
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
What Brad said. It has the *appearance* of a trespassing shot, and CK himself has said that photos that appear to be taken while trespassing will get bumped for PEQ. Sources:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showp...4&postcount=14
http://forums.railpictures.net/showp...&postcount=101

Now that you know where I was coming from, do you still think it was a stupid thing to say? If so, please explain...
Old 12-14-2010, 02:49 AM   #11
Joe the Photog

They could have given it a Poor Lighting reject too.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 AM   #12
nikos1

This trespassing stuff is getting stupid, I guess next we need to start rejecting everyone shots of the yard power sitting by the local yard office, or god forbid you cross the track to get on the right side for the sun. Its one thing to reject a shot of a moving train where someone is standing in the gauge, but if the photog is not putting himself in physical danger then I don't see any need to apply the tresspass PEQ.
The rejection makes no sense to me in any regard but I really hope it was not for trespassing.....

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:06 AM   #13
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
They could have given it a Poor Lighting reject too.
Whats wrong with the lighting? Its not like its a roster that need the trucks fully lit and all that jazz.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:11 AM   #14
PLEzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
This trespassing stuff is getting stupid, I guess next we need to start rejecting everyone shots of the yard power sitting by the local yard office, or god forbid you cross the track to get on the right side for the sun. Its one thing to reject a shot of a moving train where someone is standing in the gauge, but if the photog is not putting himself in physical danger then I don't see any need to apply the tresspass PEQ.
The rejection makes no sense to me in any regard but I really hope it was not for trespassing.....
Just because the photographer isn't about to get run over by a train doesn't make it any less illegal.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:17 AM   #15
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Whats wrong with the lighting? Its not like its a roster that need the trucks fully lit and all that jazz.
We all know that for RP's tastes, the lighting is not what theytypically accept.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:48 AM   #16
KevinM

Perhaps it isn't a trespassing issue after all. Maybe the Screener thought you were too close to a dangerous operation....what with all of the snow and ice flying around.

Again, I would appeal stating the facts....you are a railroad employee, you telesmashed the scene etc. etc.

Yeah, they could hit you for lighting....but this is hardly a common shot.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:00 AM   #17
coborn35

I have a hard time thinking that screener would forget Jeff Terry is a railroad employee. He is a pretty well known contributor.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
Old 12-14-2010, 05:54 AM   #18
Mgoldman

Quote:
This trespassing stuff is getting stupid.....
You could always use the ever popular "Taken with permission". Most railroads I know are more then happy to accomadate railfans crossing the main line and putting cameras and camcorders on the right of way, at least as it would appear based on comments left...

As for known railroad employee's shooting on railroad property, from an outsider, or those not in the know, such photos would still appear to be trespassing.

If tresspassing was is an issue, why not add that to the list of rejections. Seems quite a few rejection reasons are not being used and could be dropped in favor of one less vague. That way the photographer could appropriately appeal or drop it rather then waste time trying to fix or question.

I like it - despite what Janusz stated, I like the framing. It appears the snow is colliding with the frame border.

What is always puzzling is why such an image would be rejected as it is certainly more interesting, even educational, then a percent of standard wedges submited the same day. Maybe it's not the 'best on the Net, but neither are collision and derailment shots, nor the bulk of the cloudy day wedges.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #19
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

That makes my ears hurt but looks good to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #20
Jeff Terry

Default Not Trespassing

Just to clarify, I was NOT trespassing. In fact, this photo was taken from my car as I left the hump, where I'd just put in 12 hours on duty.
Jeff Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #21
troy12n
Banned

Joe is right on the lighting, it's slightly backlit to me or at least not full front/side lit, not enough to keep it out IMHO. But all this trespassing talk is ridiculous... there is nothing to indicate that this was trespassing. Nothing at all. There are lots of yards which have service roads next to them, some even public. Plus the guy is a RR employee.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #22
Ween

Quote:
But all this trespassing talk is ridiculous... there is nothing to indicate that this was trespassing. Nothing at all. There are lots of yards which have service roads next to them, some even public. Plus the guy is a RR employee.
No it's not ridiculous; there's certainly merit to the argument. I stated my case that it could *appear* to be trespassing; I never implied that it was. I can understand how someone might think it was trespassing, especially because Jeff mentioned something about the hump yard, which in my experience, those are embedded on railroad property. But to use your line of thinking, Troy, there's nothing to indicate he wasn't trespassing.

Also, nothing in the photo or in the Remarks states that Jeff is a railroad employee, so that argument is moot.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #23
coborn35

Cant believe I am actually backing Troy up but....
Image © Craig Williams
PhotoID: 322841
Photograph © Craig Williams

Image © Craig Williams
PhotoID: 329454

Image © Craig Williams
PhotoID: 322937

So now Brads point is moot.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #24
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
No it's not ridiculous; there's certainly merit to the argument.
Like what? Nothing to indicate it at all. It looks like it is in a yard, could be a team track, could be a siding, you dont know where it is. I have seen several pictures in the past few days that I know you can only get to by either driving through a (locked most of the time) gate with several No Trespassing signs or cross a 2 track main line trestle and walk a mile to get to. But it's not my point to say anything and the shots were good.

Quote:
I stated my case that it could *appear* to be trespassing; I never implied that it was.
What? What were you IMPLYING then?

Quote:
But to use your line of thinking, Troy, there's nothing to indicate he wasn't trespassing.
That's terrible logic, so by your line of thinking you need a disclaimer that you werent trespassing in every shot. You need to get over yourself...
Old 12-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #25
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Terry View Post
I'm baffled by this one. Any suggestions for improvement? I thought the shot was rather unique.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=847979221
I think it's a great shot and thanks for sharing it! The snow chunks being blasted all over really give it the "action" feel and you captured it well. The lighting could be more "sunny calendar wedgie perfect" for rp.net but who cares - I don't think it detracts at all from the shot. You could always try submitting it to magazines. If rp.net doesn't take it on appeal that's their loss.

Regards,
Michael

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Click Here to view my Toledo Railfan Photo Location map!
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote