Old 04-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
bigiron

Default Any way to make this work?

OK, I got this one rejected for "noise" but you can see the cloud ceiling is rather low and there is a misty fog in the air due to that and I am looking for suggestions to make the screeners feel like this a good addition to the site.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...81&key=5989388

The weather was not only foggy but very windy as evident by the whitecaps on the river and I thought that would add to the appeal but the "noise" they are rejecting would be a realistic result of the conditions and does that doom this shot? Thanks for any advice as I was happy to find this spot to compose the shot but did the weather hurt the result too much? We know shots are accepted in all types of weather conditions as they should seeing trains run no matter what and to me this beats some of the regular wedgie shots and would add interest IMHO.

Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
Noct Foamer

Any chance you over sharpened, and that made the droplets appear as grain?

Kent in sD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
Any chance you over sharpened, and that made the droplets appear as grain?

Kent in sD
Right, it is hard to talk about noise if you don't know what was done etc. I don't like the noise rejection when I get it usually after I am told to change the image, correcting one rejection leads to another problem.

I would deal with the out of focus junk in the foreground which would make the the whole image more appealing. Then I look at my history as I usually keep the submitted image active assuming it will be rejected and reduce the sharpening which should be the last step.???

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
SFO777

I'm seeing ISO noise on the trees. TO me looks like high ISO thing. Also, the sky looks like it has banding issue/blown highlights.
SFO777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
miningcamper1

Maybe the choppy water comes across as "noise" to some.

The rocks do have a bit of a halo. Doesn't bother me, but it might be a big deal to others. The out of focus post is a little distracting.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:02 AM   #6
SFO777

Did you try turning down the exposure and upping the contrast? It's really well-framed/composed photo.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #7
Dennis A. Livesey

I would say the issue is not the weather but the overall coarse texture of the image. The noise and the haloing off puts the viewer rather than draws them in. IMO.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

When I opened the shot, the first thing I thought was the camera needed to be panned slightly to the right. The upper portion of the protruding rock bothers me that it's coming out of nowhere so to speak.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
SFO777

I think the composition is wonderful and well done. A bit more of the rock on the right would have been a benefit I think but nice as is.

What about:

running over the water with a darkening brush in photoshop, try to get some color in there. add some contrast to the water too.

running over the other side of the river with contrast brush, try to cut some of that fogginess, get some contrast in short in there.

I think the water should look more green