Old 08-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
gradymck

Default Commonwealth Railway Relocation progress

Back up in Virginia last week & caught a CWRY rock train heading towards the Maersk Terminal. When they arrived they backed onto the new connection and starting dumping ballast on the new ROW between VA 164 & I-664. For information this is located in Southern Virginia in Portsmouth. The railroad is Commonwealth Railway.

Also.......the VPA enginnering site is locted here & details progress of the relocation.

http://www.vpa-engineering.net/rail_project/

Grady McKinley
gradymck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
ShortlinesUSA

Grady,

Thank you for posting this update. The Commonwealth will look nothing like present this time next year. I've been meaning to ask, are they handling rock trains to the Vulcan yard any more? The last couple of years we've made the trip to the beach, the rock yard looks deserted, but I don't know if it's just time of year or if that traffic is no more.

Thanks again for the post and look forward to hearing more from you on the forum.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
gradymck

Default Vulcan Yd & other CWRY customers

Mike,

Are you refering to the Vulcan Yard near where I-664 crosses the current ROW in Cheaapeake (Off Pughsville Road)? This is the yard not far from Chesapeake Sq. Mall. If so...then as far as I can tell no. I haven't seen anything in that yard in quite sometime. As far as I can confirm right now....the customers on the Commonwealth are as follows...

Ciba (on Wilroy Road)
Maersk Terminal (Big customer)
U.S. Amines (Chemicals next to the old BASF site in Portsmouth). The BASF plant is in the process of being tworn down....so U.S. Amines is the only customer past the Maersk connection.

CWRY might also have a customer in the Wilroy Industrial Park.....but I don't think they do.....

Grady
Old 08-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
gradymck

Default CWRY re-alignment

Also Mike....as an FYI the Commonwealth has been targeting fall of this year to have the new alignment complete. At that point the old tracks will be abandoned. The last big project is the overpass for U.S. 17 over the new alignment. The overpass is about 75% complete.....I should be back up there in the next few weeks & will update again.

Grady
Old 08-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
ShortlinesUSA

Grady,

That's the Vulcan yard to which I was referring-- you can see it off your right when crossing the current alignment on I-664. Appreciate the updates.

Mike

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote