Old 10-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40
Default Selling framed photos

Does anyone here have a good way to market framed railroad photos? With my current job, I have good access to both frames and prints, so I can naturally see this going somewhere. Every time someone's contacted me so far, I've only made a pittance selling just a print or even just a digital file.
Where and how can I sell these things?
Even just photos in general, I have a handful of landscapes that I figure are good enough to sell.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
lock4244

From what I've seen here, strategically placing an attractive young woman somewhere in your images seems to work wonders in terms of marketing.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
trainboysd40

brb, photoshop.
But in all seriousness, where do I go to say these are available?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Matthew, I've wondered the exact same thing, but unfortunately cannot provide any advice. Hopefully we can both get some input from other members.

I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to sell one of your railroad related photos with one of those photoshopped, errr "interesting" skies.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Have you tried local craft shows, trainshows, etc? You will always find railroad fans or people who just like the shots I am sure.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
Lee Baxter

Walters on the right path, the model train show we just had at Liverpool,NSW had a lot of stands selling framed and unframed prints in all sizes.

Lee
Lee Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
NathBDP

You could try local shows but your prices will have to be lower. Sold about 11 prints to a collector last year. It was my first major sale but I live in an area where there is a decent demand for emerging photographers. Generally people are not interested in a straight up wedge shots with the locomotive in them, and unless you just want to sell to railfans you will be limiting yourself. You can certainly do railroad photography in such a way that the image is appealing not only to railfans but ordiinary folks alike. That's often my goal.
NathBDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:56 AM   #8
trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathBDP View Post
You could try local shows but your prices will have to be lower. Sold about 11 prints to a collector last year. It was my first major sale but I live in an area where there is a decent demand for emerging photographers. Generally people are not interested in a straight up wedge shots with the locomotive in them, and unless you just want to sell to railfans you will be limiting yourself. You can certainly do railroad photography in such a way that the image is appealing not only to railfans but ordiinary folks alike. That's often my goal.
heh, that's easy for me...
I'm going to be trying to find some places for a few of my best landscapes as well, I'm pretty sure some of my oversaturated sunset shots will sell well.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
wds

Maybe somebody with the right experience and connections could partner with RP and set up a railroad stock photo agency. Heck, they've already got a screening process in place along with great contributor and viewer bases! Oh wait, this sounds a bit familiar. Didn't somebody already suggest that a month or three ago
Old 10-31-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
Maybe somebody with the right experience and connections could partner with RP and set up a railroad stock photo agency. Heck, they've already got a screening process in place along with great contributor and viewer bases! Oh wait, this sounds a bit familiar. Didn't somebody already suggest that a month or three ago

80% or more of the stuff on here would definitely be of good enough quality for stock photography. But I dont see there being enough of a market for a railroad photography specific agency.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:38 AM   #11
Rich K

You need to be careful when selling photographs that contain logos or trademarks, as you might be inviting a copyright infringement problem.

For example, selling a photo of a train with BNSF power in which the logos on the locomotives are visible can get you in hot water. Even subjects like photos of John Deere tractors are not accepted because John Deree has copyrighted the green color they use.

I sell photos of many kinds using several of the most popular stock photography sites, but in general they won't even accept a photo with any sort of brand name, logo, trademark, etc. visible. A couple of them will make an exception for images with editorial merit.

Not long ago a friend told me that TTX Corp. was looking for photos of their rail equipment in action. I submitted 12 images to them, they purchased 2 at $250 each. I would not have even been aware of this if not for a heads up.

Webmaster of The Railfan Gallery

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.net
Rich K is offline   Reply With Quote