Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #26
railfanzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomus78 View Post
FB can go back and see. Especially since he denies any wrongdoing.

If you rob a bank then go back an hour later and return the money. You still robbed a bank.
All true, but in my dealings with them, I got the impression from them that the photo needs to be up at the time of investigation. By the user taking it down, they basically did what Facebook would do, and remedied the issue.

Granted, they make look at it differently if 10 photographers all reported violations. We'll see soon enough...

Flickr stuff - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nanosphoto/
My Railpictures.net Photos
My published photo portfolio
My one photo on JetPhotos.net
railfanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:33 AM   #27
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by railfanzone View Post
Great business model. I guess I'll be forwarding his name along to all my modeling friends to make sure they do not patronize his business.
But...BUT...he just got 18 "likes" today!
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #28
railfanzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
And he doesn't count the ones he lost. He started out yesterday at 546 likes, per a screen shot of his page a friend sent me when he found one of my shots there (at about 7pm yesterday). As it stands at 9:42pm Eastern, he's at 539 likes. Net minus 7 people...still in the red as far as I'm concerned...then again, he probably doesn't think that way - you know, logically...

Flickr stuff - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nanosphoto/
My Railpictures.net Photos
My published photo portfolio
My one photo on JetPhotos.net
railfanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #29
khalucha

He must have seen that auto insurance commercial on TV with that chick that says, " They can not put anything on the internet that is not true."

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...1akvrqq5&&tt=b

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #30
Kyle Korienek

Talking

My favorite part of this whole thing is that he made a reference to virginity lost to bubba. Yet, when I see his personal profile, he's some giant slob with dozens of pictures of beautiful women in seductive poses around trains. Logic would dictate that this guy is pretty lonely and there is some serious insecurity going on with his "love" life and life in general.

Plus, I found one of my pictures on his personal FB, so I guess my pictures don't suck that royally

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."

Last edited by Kyle Korienek; 02-11-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 AM   #31
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 AM   #32
coaststarlight14

And you can't report the page as copywright infringement, i think because the owner listed it as a place or something...

ugh, some people...

Photos on RP: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=39940
coaststarlight14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #33
loomus78

Well something that could be done as far this site is concerned. Make it so photos cannot be saved. I have been to sites that do not allow such activity. I think it's time that if the powers at be are serious about copyrights then they should enact safeguards. Especially if our watermarks are not allowed to be distinguishable on a photo.
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #34
loomus78

Here's another one although this one at least gives the photog credit.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRailroadNation
Milepost 105.00
loomus78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #35
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

I really don't care if the place gives us credit or not. Its shitty to steal pictures and post them elsewhere without the original photographers consent. I've had problems with several large websites (gawker.com and jalopnik.com are some, two blogs that are pretty awful) using my photos for stupid stuff after snagging it off flickr. While they put my name on there (whatever my flickr username is at the time) and on one even linked back to the original picture, its still illegal. But abuse of photographic copyright is so insanely rampant in internet culture these days, its nearly impossible to put a stop to it.
My suggestion at this point? Bitch mightily to whoever will listen.

Last edited by Cyclonetrain; 02-11-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #36
Cyclonetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomus78 View Post
Well something that could be done as far this site is concerned. Make it so photos cannot be saved. I have been to sites that do not allow such activity. I think it's time that if the powers at be are serious about copyrights then they should enact safeguards. Especially if our watermarks are not allowed to be distinguishable on a photo.
The problem is you can write all the script and code you want, it won't be effective. There are extensions and userscripts for Firefox that are workarounds for disabling right click and save as, and it is pretty easy to just take a screenshot on any computer and crop out everything but the picture. Visible watermarks are the only way to at least let people know where the picture originated from, but people have no qualms stealing those either, and make your pictures look a bit garish in my opinion.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #37
Ween

What don't these fool morons who want to show off other people's photos just link to the original photo from the original site????? That way view whores are happy, lonely teenager losers are happy, and everyone just goes about living...
Old 02-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #38
Joe the Photog

What I dislike is the indifference of some photographers. Some don't care if their work is stolen and no credit is given. Many say they at least want credit and using them without permission is fine. It doesn't do any good when a photographer says he doesn't care how his work is used. If you really don't care, just don't say anything and let the folks who do care of the situation.

As photographers, we get to decide how we want to display our work. Most of us choose a web site like thhis one or Flickr to load our shots to and then send links out. It kills me to see this new link from Jon where shots are lifted straight from RP. Credit is obviously given, but that's now how the photog wanted his picture to be seen. And the guy(s) doing the page are either oblivious or just don't give a crap.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #39
Joe the Photog

To me, this comment shows a lot of indifference to me as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
What don't these fool morons who want to show off other people's photos just link to the original photo from the original site????? That way view whores are happy, lonely teenager losers are happy, and everyone just goes about living...
Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #40
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonetrain View Post
...and it is pretty easy to just take a screenshot on any computer and crop out everything but the picture.
Exactly. It's something I've done tons of times when I've wanted to create an image of something that wasn't downloadable, or of a frame in a video. A screen capture is the most basic way to "steal" a photo for other use and nothing can stop it.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #41
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
To me, this comment shows a lot of indifference to me as well.
Quote:
I realize that sarcasm dosn't play well through cyberspace, but that last sentence was tongue-in-cheek.

The first question still stands though...why not link to the photo instead of right clicking, saving as, and then uploading to someplace like FB? I don't see anything wrong with that...or am I still being indifferent?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 AM   #42
nikos1

Because then one has to click on it and be bombarded with popups from RP. I always do link but it displays better on FB if you post the actual image, I'd prefer the image to be linked myself but as long as they keep the copyright bar and dont try to claim it as their own then I dont have a real issue, its something you have to accept when you post your images online.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #43
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
I dont have a real issue, its something you have to accept when you post your images online.
No, you don't. I'm not saying go crazy any time it happens and start talking about getting lawyers, but at least asking the guy not to do it anymore is a start.
Quote:
The first question still stands though...why not link to the photo instead of right clicking, saving as, and then uploading to someplace like FB? I don't see anything wrong with that...or am I still being indifferent?
I do the same thing when posting a shot by someone else, but also type the photo credit in so no one skims over it and automatically assumes it's my shot. This way, if they click on the shot, it's in the manner the photo chose it to be anddepending on the web site,they can find more of his or her work.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 02-12-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #44
crazytiger

I don't want to post another thread for this... Check the view count.

http://imgur.com/gQTp1H9

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #45
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
I don't want to post another thread for this... Check the view count.

http://imgur.com/gQTp1H9
As not seen on RP, because somebody jacked it.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #46
Cyclonetrain

probably slapped on reddit. typical of that website too. no credit to be found anywhere.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #47
crazytiger

Yep. It ended up with over 3000 points in /r/pics and landed over 1,000,000 hits.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #48
Mgoldman

Quote:
What I dislike is the indifference of some photographers... Many say they at least want credit and using them without permission is fine.
I prefer being asked for permission but honestly - so long as credit is given, what difference does it make when it's used in a non-profit or nonpolitical way?

You get your name out and the hobby (whether trains or photography) is better promoted.

The only issue I could see would be if the image is used to support a perspective you might not agree with. In most instances, however, it's simply a share and display. Or for educational use which I think is a positive thing.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #49
Joe the Photog

I would rather my picture be used in the way I meant for it to be used -- either on my web site, RP or Flickr. Word of mouth is one thing, but no one really sees a shot lifted from here and thinks, "Wow, that ______ ________ is a really good photographer. Let me find out more about his work." It's more a nuisance than anything, but it really irritates me when my work is lifted without asking permission.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #50
Mgoldman

Quote:
Word of mouth is one thing, but no one really sees a shot lifted from here and thinks, "Wow, that ______ ________ is a really good photographer. Let me find out more about his work."
True - they never see your photo at all...

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote