Old 03-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Dave Schauer

Default More Bad Crop Mystery

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...83&key=7186439
This one has me scratching my head. Uploaded and received a bad composition/bad crop rejection. The subject matter is centered almost evenly and there is a nice margin of space around all sides. Appealed and used the logic that this should be treated as a solid roster-type shot where it is centered, sunny and a nice 3/4 angle. Rejected without comment. I could understand if the snow blast was heavy and weighted to the right side, but it was directed at the camera. Suggestions?
Dave Schauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
KevinM

Hi Dave,

Can you go a little wider and get some more on top, while keeping the bottom as-is? Historically, RP has shown a dislike for images with the subject centered vertically. There are no absolutes here, but I am fairly certain that if you work the subject more toward the lower third, you'll have a better shot at acceptance.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

I want to say, go tighter.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Dave Schauer

Thanks Kevin. I know what you mean about RP liking shots weighted more to the sky (which drives me crazy) so yesterday when I received the first rejection for bad crop I did exactly what you said (wider view with more weight to the top). It came back as poor composition. Still scratching my head.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...50&key=6877089
Dave Schauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

It may or may not have an effect on the rejection reason, but I feel the going away composition isn't working without an impressive snow plume from the blower. I think a head on lit composition would look a little better.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schauer View Post
The subject matter is centered almost evenly and there is a nice margin of space around all sides.
EXACTLY. BOTH images are centered. The second, for the most part, all you did was go wider, all four sides, still centered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schauer View Post
Appealed and used the logic that this should be treated as a solid roster-type shot where it is centered, sunny and a nice 3/4 angle. Rejected without comment.
Don't you hate that? 8 letters, so hard to type out... a courtesy you might expect on an appeal, especially for someone like yourself who has uploaded well over 1,500 images.

At the very least, you would think admin would add a new rejection - "Centered". Perhaps the most common unidentified rejection on RP.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote