Old 04-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #76
lalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post

It would be interesting to know how the screener would have cropped it
and why.
My guess is slightly less on the left as the poking car nose is distracting the attention to main subject.
lalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #77
tbelton

One change I would like to see is better use of a wide-screen monitor. Lots of dead space on both sides of the displayed content. I would think most all monitors sold now are wide-screen. Not sure if this could be a selectable option or either auto-selected by the website. I would guess close to half of the screen is not used on my system. The forum does use the complete screen, just not the main site.

Thanks,

Trey
tbelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #78
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Gentlemen,

I'm still following this thread and am taking notes as time permits. To those who have contributed, your suggestions and opinions are appreciated! There's been several recommendations that I'll mention with administration in an effort to improve the relationship between staff and our contributors.

For those with additional inquiries, please don't hesitate to share here or through me personally.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #79
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
And this is a good example of inconsistency. How is the above photo NOT bad cropping but this one is?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...86&key=1514299

Honestly, the first thing I thought about that CSX shot was "bad cropping" instead of John's observation.

Ted's shot is bad cropping and TJ's is not?

Perplexing.
It's not that bad at all. I now think we're going overboard with the nitpicking...
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #80
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbelton View Post
One change I would like to see is better use of a wide-screen monitor. Lots of dead space on both sides of the displayed content. I would think most all monitors sold now are wide-screen.
Well....not all of 'em.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:41 AM   #81
mark woody

Here's a thought to ponder, has calling out accepted shots in the forums contributed to screeners taking a harder line doing their job ? Do screeners take a certain pride in the job they do ? I'm sure they do, the site in general is testament to that, so if an accepted shot is treated badly by the forum will that screener then think to tighten up the standard, just a thought.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:08 AM   #82
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark woody View Post
Here's a thought to ponder, has calling out accepted shots in the forums contributed to screeners taking a harder line doing their job ? Do screeners take a certain pride in the job they do ? I'm sure they do, the site in general is testament to that, so if an accepted shot is treated badly by the forum will that screener then think to tighten up the standard, just a thought.
I think I've said this before...but I don't like to criticize anyone's accepted shot. Sure, I could find a ton of shots I wouldn't have accepted, but that's not the point. What's done is done. The only thing that really matters is what happens in the future.

It's almost like something you would find in grade school. "You told Johnny his drawing of a Thanksgiving turkey was good. Why don't you like my drawing?"
Old 04-27-2014, 03:27 AM   #83
JRMDC

Ron, I think that a good many or most, perhaps all, of the call-outs are call-outs of the screeners, not of the photographers. And the issue is inconsistency of the screeners, not inadequacy of the photographers.

Perhaps people should use a header for all such posts?: MY COMPLAINT IS ONLY WITH THE SCREENING

It is hard to discuss screening issues without specific examples.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:45 AM   #84
mark woody

Hi J, I'm not talking about inconsistency but rather comparisons that are apples to oranges and end up picking on the accepted shot rather than helping the reject, by all means bring your rejects for advice, on your shot, fix it or move on, no need to whine about someone else's shot that was accepted.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:51 AM   #85
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Ron, I think that a good many or most, perhaps all, of the call-outs are call-outs of the screeners, not of the photographers. And the issue is inconsistency of the screeners, not inadequacy of the photographers.

Perhaps people should use a header for all such posts?: MY COMPLAINT IS ONLY WITH THE SCREENING

Like for instance this one, which cropping is, let's say, lacking... isnt the sharpest, and has some heat distortion going on (look at the number boards)

Image © Chip Allen
PhotoID: 479351
Photograph © Chip Allen
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:51 AM   #86
lalam

Quote:
In my opinion, we are only discussing one side of the coin. Based on my own experience of post processing, I have many times gone from bad to worse on re-submissions. While trying to fix some specific issue like color, noise , I sometimes end up with some other issue which I realize only after comparing the image after getting rejected again. I think screeners must have been going through many such examples everyday and due to lack of time may not be able to communicate the specific reason.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:14 AM   #87
lalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbelton View Post
One change I would like to see is better use of a wide-screen monitor.
I use 17 inches monitor and have to scroll left,right,top and bottom to view complete image. Perhaps it would be nice if there is a feature of fitting the full image on screen on hitting "enter" as available in IrfanView.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:26 AM   #88
chipallen16

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Like for instance this one, which cropping is, let's say, lacking... isnt the sharpest, and has some heat distortion going on (look at the number boards)

Image © Chip Allen
PhotoID: 479351
Photograph © Chip Allen
Sorry that it gets hot in the south, lol. It has for centuries.

-Chip
chipallen16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:33 AM   #89
JRMDC

lalam, this is for you, if you use Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/image-zoom/

Woody, I hear you, I was responding to Ron whose statement seemed to me to be more general. I agree that if you have a screening complaint, on a shot, no need to invoke an accepted shot. At the same time, comparing accepted and rejected shots, while to me is not a valid complaint as to why the rejected should have been accepted and that photographer was treated inappropriately, can be at some level a valid complaint about the screener. It is a difficult line to judge, to some extent, but I think it can me made clear that the screener and not the photographer is the issue.

At any rate I never feel as though I am judging the photographer when I critique a shot. I can see where, at times, a photographer may perceive things differently, especially if an entire thread goes at a shot.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-27-2014, 04:59 AM   #90
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipallen16 View Post

-Chip
I don't have a problem with this - I am however fascinated that they let you have all that empty green on the left.

When I have a shot like this that I can't make any thinner due to the 1024 x 730 format that I shoot for, I would have cut more off the left and left more on the right in the belief that it is what "they" want.

Ergo, I would have had empty track over empty bushes.

And RP's aversion to heat distortion is just as bizarre and the open door issue.

Holding the Main at Minneola

Climbing out of Amboy

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 04-27-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:12 AM   #91
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

I don't have any beef with RP at all over the way my photos are screened. I think the screeners have a pretty good feel for what the majority of viewers would find an attractive railroad photo.

All I truly want from RP is to find a way to attract and then keep the high end photographers. Their photos are what truly makes RP enjoyable for me. Thank goodness for the Danneman's, James Belmont, Samuel Phillips, and a handful of others whose regular submissions keep me interested. I also appreciate the photographers like Ron Flanary and the John Dziobko collection which show railroad history in high quality. Hearing that Blair Kooistra has left RP is really disappointing. When quality photographs like these start to dwindle, my enthusiasm for viewing and sharing photos on RP wanes. What will it take? I don't fully know, but having an admin team that is checked in and enthusiastic would be a good start. Like Mitch said, treat it like a business and try to attract customers. My impression is that the admins don't care and have a take it or leave it attitude...and people are leaving.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #92
lalam

Quote:
lalam, this is for you, if you use Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/image-zoom/
Thank you. Used it but it doesn't seem to have option of full screen preview. "Fit image" option used in this addon fits the image in browser window but still wastes about 1 inch on each side of the image. Am I missing anything?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #93
Holloran Grade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalam View Post
Thank you. Used it but it doesn't seem to have option of full screen preview. "Fit image" option used in this addon fits the image in browser window but still wastes about 1 inch on each side of the image. Am I missing anything?
Are you talking about when you view Flickr?

Click image for larger version

Name:	13.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	8554

Because you can view a larger image if you go to the three dots on the right and choose download.

Name:	14.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	8555

Then

Name:	15.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	8556

and

Name:	17.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	8557

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 04-27-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #94
lalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Are you talking about when you view Flickr?

Attachment 8554

Because you can view a larger image if you go to the three dots on the right ad choose download
No Sir . As per the thread title, I was just wondering if there is any way to see the RP photo in full screen mode like IrfanView, as on my 17" monitor I need to scroll all sided to see the whole image.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #95
Holloran Grade
Banned

Wink

I suspect you need to adjust the resolution on your monitor.

What is the size of your screen in pixels?

600 x 800?

Mine is set to 1152 x 864 and I can kick it up to 1600 x 1200 if I need to.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #96
JRMDC

Lalam is not talking about monitor resolution, I now see; he is talking about eliminating all framing due to the website or due to the browser. He wants nothing but image on the screen.

A search for "firefox view images full screen" yields the following and other things. Google is your friend.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...-image-viewer/

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #97
lalam

Quote:
Thanks again. It is useful. Could not understand the "Thumbnails expansion Rules"option.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #98
JRMDC

Quote:
Thanks again. It is useful. Could not understand the "Thumbnails expansion Rules"option.
I have not used what you just installed, but I have used something else that also does a thumbnails expansion. IIRC, what it does is that if you put your cursor on a shot, after about 1 second it expands the shot bigger. Don't recall the details; it seemed more annoying than useful so I uninstalled it.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-27-2014, 03:06 PM   #99
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipallen16 View Post
And that's not a reason for them to excuse that type of thing. I live in the South too...

I was speaking again to the inconsistencies. There was a shot on here just the other day which got rejected for similar crappy looking distorted numberboards
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #100
coborn35

Quote:
No Sir . As per the thread title, I was just wondering if there is any way to see the RP photo in full screen mode like IrfanView, as on my 17" monitor I need to scroll all sided to see the whole image.
Your screen probably isnt set correctly on your monitor.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote