Old 01-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #101
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Screeners post on forums, acting as if they really want members input and change. Members give opinions of what could improve the site. Screeners disappear and are never heard from again. Stop me if you've heard this one before.
Come on now, I can think of at least 3 times last year that one of them posted

Oh, and you forgot the part about asking for input, then ignoring suggestions
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:57 AM   #102
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
This is the heart of viewing photography in general. It's art, so it's inherently subjective. You are asking for objectivity, but since there are no hard measurements, it can't be done. This is further complicated by having two "schools" of thought regarding foamer photography. The first is a railfan who has a camera. To him, a shot of a "rare" engine is cool. The second is a photographer who happens to like trains. He would never understand why someone took a mundane shot of a "rare" engine, just as the other guy would never understand why the 2nd guy would take a photo of the train deliberately blurry. Levelness you can check, "good" composition not so much.

Kent in SD
This has been stated before, but never quite so succinctly. I agree, and can cite examples ad infinitum. That's one reason I decided to stop talking about it (rejections). I was either barely hearing my own voice in a cacophony, or I was alone in the room at other times. Either way, I finally concluded my opinion only mattered to me and few, if any, cared. But, I'm satisfied I have a good sense of how things are supposed to work, and how photos are supposed to look. If others don't agree, it really doesn't matter at all. And, if RP rejects my shots (which is admittedly rare, I must admit), I think I've bitched my last time. Also---I grudgingly admit I've actually learned a few things from other photographers who comment on this forum. I found out my feces actually had a terrible odor.

As Alfred E. Newman so sagely noted: "What me worry?"
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #103
CSX1702

Suggestion: start screening comments again.

Image © MissyG
PhotoID: 514753
Photograph © MissyG

You know what, never mind, these are hilarious.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #104
coborn35

Yeah I agree. Why do they even pretend to screen comments when they consistently let absolutely unprofessional comments through.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #105
Ron Flanary

I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG

....I've never commented on this tag line, but I love it! Yes, I do see railroad photography as an art form, but I don't demean anyone else if they see it as a way to document the railroad for other purposes. And, I create far more "mundane" shots than I do anything that would excite an art critic.

Indeed....railroad photography is what you make of it. There are some very broad and basic guidelines I think we could all agree on---but after that: do whatever turns you on!
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:47 AM   #106
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Yeah I agree. Why do they even pretend to screen comments when they consistently let absolutely unprofessional comments through.
Actually very tame compared to Youtube and some Flickr comments.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #107
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Indeed....railroad photography is what you make of it. There are some very broad and basic guidelines I think we could all agree on---but after that: do whatever turns you on!
Ditto. ...

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 01-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #108
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Suggestion: start screening comments again.

Image © MissyG
PhotoID: 514753
Photograph © MissyG

You know what, never mind, these are hilarious.
A perfect reason on top of many to never go railfanning up there.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #109
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
A perfect reason on top of many to never go railfanning up there.

Loyd L.
I always liked it over there, personally. Mountain railroading at its best with only a few derailments per day.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 01-20-2015, 07:14 PM   #110
Tgranville

Send a message via AIM to Tgranville Send a message via Yahoo to Tgranville

Loyd,

Not ALL of us are bad up here. We just have more than our fair share of wackjobs.

My RP.net Photos

My Flickr Photos
Tgranville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #111
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Mountain railroading at its best
You need to get out more

Loyd L.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #112
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgranville View Post
Loyd,

Not ALL of us are bad up here. We just have more than our fair share of wackjobs.
I would never suggest the whole crew is bad Tom. Just a lot of them.

I would hang out with you and several others in a heartbeat... if you come down here.

Loyd L.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:55 PM   #113
Noct Foamer

Quote:
I always liked it over there, personally. Mountain railroading at its best with only a few derailments per day.

Hmmm. Don't park next to the tracks, I guess.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:25 AM   #114
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
You need to get out more

Loyd L.
I live in Ohio, so that's a given..

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 01-21-2015, 02:50 AM   #115
Mgoldman

Quote:
Hmmm. Don't park next to the tracks, I guess.

Kent in SD
Are there wreck videos posted on Railvideos.net, lol? Are there?

Would this even be accepted - some of the worse video I've ever seen and I'm not talking about subject.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:31 AM   #116
Noct Foamer

There was a railroad here, the DME, that took over some very bad C&NW tracks that were totally shot. They had derailments almost weekly. The most famous one happened when a train was sitting in a siding for a meet. A rail under the lead engine snapped, putting it on the ground. With that, the DME got the dubious distinction of being the only railroad to derail a non-moving train. The rails have since been fixed and even upgraded to 140 CWR in many places.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:52 AM   #117
JRMDC

I find it hard to believe that the DME is the only RR to ever have a train derail while standing still. I suspect, for example, this happened to the Penn Central many times.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:43 AM   #118
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I suspect, for example, this happened to the Penn Central many times.
Wouldn't a "derailment" require rail in the first place? They way I understand it, the Penn Central was more or less riding on the ground in later years.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 01-22-2015, 12:45 AM   #119
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Quote:
Wouldn't a "derailment" require rail in the first place? They way I understand it, the Penn Central was more or less riding on the ground in later years.
Penn Central definitely had trains "derail" while sitting still. In their later years, I remember stories by friends and family who worked for the PC talking about trains sitting on sidings and rails sinking into the ground because the track had become so poorly maintained.

My Grandfather told me once before that he went to a "derailment" where a train whose motive power was out of fuel had sit on a siding for more than 2 weeks and the rail had gradually slipped several inches under the ground as a result from several days of rain. The train was ultimately unloaded and the cars scrapped on site, engines craned onto flatcars and hauled back to a shop where they were auctioned off after the startup of Conrail. He believes the rail is quite likely, STILL in the ground at that location.

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:49 AM   #120
Mark Gayman

Question Press credentials for contributors

I have thought that if RP could issue "press" credentials to US contributors, we might have some legal edge to make some authorities think twice about interfering with 1st Amendment rights during the safe and legal practice of our hobby from public property.

The credentials here are an example:

http://www.ia-pp.com/iapp-press-pass...FQ4waQodtUwAtQ

There should be some criteria for obtaining the credentials, like a certain number of accepted photos in a certain period of time, or a certain number of photos in the database, and there should be an expiration date. Being an Elite member should not be a criteria, IMHO, but it also should not be free.

---------------------
Mark Gayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:38 AM   #121
Ween

Cindy Lauren Scott has a little Jessica Simpson thing going on...and now everybody knows where she lives.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:12 AM   #122
Firefighter1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Just my two cents, but I wouldn't want to post higher-resolution images here or anywhere else....and I suspect that I am not alone.

Why? Well, because unfortunately, people regularly steal images off RP and other similar photography sites. The copyright law is a joke, because there are no copyright police that you can call when you see a violation. Instead you've got to hire a lawyer and go after the culprits yourself....at great personal expense. That's an option if you're a wealthy, famous photographer. Not so much for those of us who are just serious hobbyists.

The great thing about a 1024 x 683 image is that looks reasonable on a PC screen, but it doesn't meet the standards for most commercial applications.
Never thought of it that way, but even when people post images on sites like Flickr and such you can still steal someones full size image. Nothings fully safe on the net. And watermarks are easily removed with some paintshop work. Sad that people steal and try to profit off of others work though.

My Other Pics
Firefighter1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #123
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
BINGO!!!

Status quo. There is already plenty of commentary on the forums from the past several years out there. No sense in replying to this topic if it's a 'one and done' post for the admins. RPN became stale about three years ago. I prefer the Flickr community, layout, and options much more.
Surprised nobody acknowledge this dead on assessment of the site. The admins here have clearly decided they have no interest of keeping this site relevant. The site will continue to decline in patronage until it can no longer ride off its past popularity. I nothing to convince me otherwise. Too bad too, because for a while there it was almost a really great site, but the interest just wasn't there from the powers at be.

I use to check this site several times a day, seven days a week. Now a check a couple times during the work day to kill time and rarely on the weekends. The quality is dropping, the production is outdated and stale and the lack of interest is really off putting.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #124
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Gee, Bob on this one I would have to side with Jim and Loyd on the level issue.

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 501385
Photograph © Robert Jordan

The water line is WAY off; not just a .0001.

In Aperture it would took me 2 seconds to fix.

Attachment 8839
LOL yeah there's gonna be one heck of a flood off to the right somewhere if that shot is level!
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:56 AM   #125
xBNSFer

Quote:
There was a railroad here, the DME, that took over some very bad C&NW tracks that were totally shot. They had derailments almost weekly. The most famous one happened when a train was sitting in a siding for a meet. A rail under the lead engine snapped, putting it on the ground. With that, the DME got the dubious distinction of being the only railroad to derail a non-moving train. The rails have since been fixed and even upgraded to 140 CWR in many places.

Kent in SD
Oh, somehow I doubt they were the first to do that! I can't remember where but I'm sure I read an account in my travels of some sub-100lb per yard rail collapsing beneath modern 100-ton covered hoppers on some god-forsaken branchline trackage somewhere, and long before DME existed!
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote