Old 12-26-2015, 04:52 AM   #1
Chris Wilson

Send a message via MSN to Chris Wilson
Default My account has been froze

I had my account frozen/banned (uncorrected reupload (very minor changes)) to a photo in mid October.

I have sent in numerous emails asking why, and no response. As well, I used the contact us section over the past few weeks and nothing back. Hopefully some insight as to what has happened.

Regards,
Old 12-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
KevinM

Hi Chris,

I would advise you to move on. Get a Flickr Account or a Smugmug Site. If you have been watching closely lately, it should be obvious that resource availability is an issue. E-mails are probably not on the priority list.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
RobJor

http://forums.railpictures.net/showt...t=17506&page=2

This was another case which resolved itself. I have no idea how those are implemented but could be for a set amount of time or until your request is processed but seems you have done what you can for now. As far as emails there may not be the time but I can also see a downside of putting a reply in writing.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
Noct Foamer

This is a very hectic and busy time of year for most people. Someone didn't respond to your email on Christmas Day? I mean, really.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
This is a very hectic and busy time of year for most people. Someone didn't respond to your email on Christmas Day? I mean, really.

Kent in SD
The OP said he sent numerous emails, so presumably some/all of them were sent prior to Christmas.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #6
miningcamper1

I suppose Halloween is hectic and busy as well?

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 12-26-2015 at 08:44 PM. Reason: revision
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
The OP said he sent numerous emails, so presumably some/all of them were sent prior to Christmas.
You might think a patron with close to 3,000 images would warrant a response.

Here's hoping the "customer service" side of RP improves dramatically in 2016.

Best of luck to you. Can't suggest much other then to give admin another poke after New Year's day.

'Shame no one from the entire staff is around on the Forums to resolve this for you.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:14 AM   #8
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
I suppose Halloween is hectic and busy as well?
Can be for spooks.

Kent in SD
Old 12-27-2015, 03:33 AM   #9
KevinM

Folks,

My original response was a bit cryptic, because I didn't want it to sound critical of anyone, including the site....because I really enjoy this site. Unfortunately, some of us regulars have noticed that lately, the site seems to be short of resources. There are site features, such as album creation that stopped working a while back and have not been repaired. Lately, it appears as if screening is much less frequent....as if there is only one screener. Also until mid-day today, the PoTW was a week and a half old....which has never happened in my memory. Comments are taking a day or two to get approved. The fact that these things are happening says to me that the folks who own the site have some resource/priority issues right now....which could well explain why they have not gotten back to people who sent them e-mails.

What is impossible to know is how long this might continue. Life events happen to people.....even website owners. When someone gets married, or a child is born, or a loved one is seriously ill, things like website administration understandably take a back seat to the things that are really important in life. That may well be what is happening here. At any rate, I did not want the OP to think he should be on the edge of his seat waiting for a response from Admin. Based on recent events, that's probably not going to happen.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:40 AM   #10
Chris Wilson

Yes, this was about mid October (I would upload a shot every few days as my profile would show on here)... We all have busy lives, and I understand everyone's commitments including my own and realize that. I figured I would take to the forums (on Christmas day when I had some free time of my own!) to see if anyone else noticed.

I use flickr as well, but enjoy the database/searching here.

For anyone wondering of the shot, it was of CN's new Track Geometry Car (TEST train) on its maiden run across Canada in less than ideal lighting.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/47866988@N05/22231543056

~Merry Christmas, best in the new year to all...~ (I rarely use these forums)

Thanks Out
Old 12-27-2015, 04:55 AM   #11
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Comments are taking a day or two to get approved.
I agree with everything except this. Lol. I'm pretty sure comments are on some time of "auto-approve" system right now based on some that are getting through (mine included). And some of mine have been accepted mere minutes after submission.

My thoughts on the state of RP: I think Rail-Pics still has the potential to be the greatest railroad site on the internet. And a really good photography site. Whether it has the resources or not is another question. I really enjoy this site because of the subject matter and how the search functions are set up. I do wish they would become more like Flickr in the way that pictures seem to look better on Flickr (higher resolutions, I'm guessing). I don't think RP should accept every shot but I do believe they could loosen up on pictures that are borderline accepted/ rejected. And the best thing RP has going for them is the forums. Good help and criticism. Definitely improved my photography. I learned by not only receiving criticism on my shots, but by reading posts on others' as well.

Bottom line. RP has a lot of potential. I don't know if they can reach it or not. Here's to hoping they can.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:08 AM   #12
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Folks,

My original response was a bit cryptic, because I didn't want it to sound critical of anyone, including the site....because I really enjoy this site. Unfortunately, some of us regulars have noticed that lately, the site seems to be short of resources. There are site features, such as album creation that stopped working a while back and have not been repaired. Lately, it appears as if screening is much less frequent....as if there is only one screener. Also until mid-day today, the PoTW was a week and a half old....which has never happened in my memory. Comments are taking a day or two to get approved. The fact that these things are happening says to me that the folks who own the site have some resource/priority issues right now....which could well explain why they have not gotten back to people who sent them e-mails.

What is impossible to know is how long this might continue. Life events happen to people.....even website owners. When someone gets married, or a child is born, or a loved one is seriously ill, things like website administration understandably take a back seat to the things that are really important in life. That may well be what is happening here. At any rate, I did not want the OP to think he should be on the edge of his seat waiting for a response from Admin. Based on recent events, that's probably not going to happen.
All of which implies "circling the drain" (like the dormant video side). And no one (not even Chase) posts to say otherwise.
I really would hate to see 500,000+ photos disappear.

Last edited by miningcamper1; 12-27-2015 at 05:10 AM. Reason: revision
Old 12-27-2015, 05:20 AM   #13
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post

My thoughts on the state of RP: I think Rail-Pics still has the potential to be the greatest railroad site on the internet. And a really good photography site. Whether it has the resources or not is another question. I really enjoy this site because of the subject matter and how the search functions are set up. I do wish they would become more like Flickr in the way that pictures seem to look better on Flickr (higher resolutions, I'm guessing). .......And the best thing RP has going for them is the forums.

Agree with all of the above. Not sure why they can't seem to find more qualified volunteers. Maybe the founders have found themselves more "enmeshed" in day to day family/work commitments? Maybe the intensity of the past years is burning them out a bit? That can happen to pretty much anyone. I think some fresh volunteers would be a great start, to provide more timely contact.

I have really come to like Flickr for posting my own photos, but RP absolutely beats it when it comes to search function. I belong to a number of groups on Flickr, but not one has a viable forum. That's something I have to come here for. I could be enticed to spend more time at RP, principally through the forum, but it just seems to be slowly rolling on its own with no sense of direction. What it does have is a bunch of good natured and intelligent regular participants. (Especially the friendly good natured part.) Hard to find that in the foamer world.

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 12-27-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:45 AM   #14
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

I have no idea if a site like this can actually make any real money for the folks who run it, but my inclination is it is mostly a labor of love and the folks who are running it are likely to burn out. Sad if true, hope it is not true, but I would not hold my breath.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:40 AM   #15
Chris Wilson

Still nothing, emails/messages. They don't seem to bounce.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #16
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
Still nothing, emails/messages. They don't seem to bounce.

Open a new account under new user name?

Kent in SD
Old 01-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #17
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
You might think a patron with close to 3,000 images would warrant a response.
You would think...

Quote:
Here's hoping the "customer service" side of RP improves dramatically in 2016.
It wont

Quote:
'Shame no one from the entire staff is around on the Forums to resolve this for you.
If only he worked for a horse, then he too could have immediate response!
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #18
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
I have no idea if a site like this can actually make any real money for the folks who run it, but my inclination is it is mostly a labor of love and the folks who are running it are likely to burn out. Sad if true, hope it is not true, but I would not hold my breath.
I think, like everything else in life, you get out what you put in. And it's pretty obvious in the past 3-4 years, the effort hasnt been there. So they just might be content to milk it for what it's worth and eventually pull the plug.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #19
Chris Wilson

With 10+ years of submissions, almost daily/weekly it is what it is. I enjoy it as I can look at my pictures here and see where my travels have taken me, and then search by location/locomotive/train symbol etc... I have fired up another set of contact us/and a email but nothing. Bummer!
Old 01-27-2016, 01:31 AM   #20
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
With 10+ years of submissions, almost daily/weekly it is what it is. I enjoy it as I can look at my pictures here and see where my travels have taken me, and then search by location/locomotive/train symbol etc... I have fired up another set of contact us/and a email but nothing. Bummer!
"We take pride in personally answering all correspondence, so expect to hear back from us soon!"

They really ought to remove that falsehood from Site Info.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:20 AM   #21
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
"We take pride in personally answering all correspondence, so expect to hear back from us soon!"

They really ought to remove that falsehood from Site Info.

Well, I suppose it all depends on how you define "soon." Maybe it's sort of like the debate if the earth is 4.5B years old, or was created in just 7 days. Some define that one as, "How long is a 'day' to God?" Similarly, maybe you'll get a response sometime "soon," i.e. in the next four billion years?

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 01-27-2016 at 02:14 PM.