Old 01-10-2019, 02:09 AM   #1
Harrison Smith
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 2
Default Why do all my snow shots get rejected for "Cloudy/Common"

Take a look at:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...24&key=2092599
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...56&key=8336930

I have had other Amtrak/snow shots rejected. Why does Railpictures.net have to be so picky?

Harrison Smith
Harrison Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:34 AM   #2
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,740
Default

Trying not to be mean, but snow is white, not gray. You should increase the exposure more. For the composition part on the first one, don't center the primary interest in the middle of the composition unless you have great supporting details on the sides. It also appears to be needing some leveling work. The second one is also an awkward composition and will probably be rejected for that if you fix the exposure and resubmit.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 01-10-2019 at 02:36 AM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:17 AM   #3
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,225
Default

Why does Railpictures.net have to be so picky?

RP would not be RP if they were not picky! Just go back into the forum archives and see for yourself!

In the first I would also trim that one distracting weed considerably.

The second is like a moving roster shot. I honestly don't see it getting accepted.
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 01-10-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: revision
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 756
Default

A better location would help, location appears very hemmed in leaving very little flexibility in composition and room for only engine and a car or two.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
Mberry
Senior Member
 
Mberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 639
Default

You're likelier to get shots like these accepted if snow was falling at the time of your shot - just snow on the ground, combined with a common train/power is unlikely to get accepted. As Loyd mentioned, these shots need their exposure raised, though either way I don't see them getting on.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Smith View Post
I have had other Amtrak/snow shots rejected. Why does Railpictures.net have to be so picky?
If they weren't so picky, there'd be a bunch shitty photos on this site. That's what flickr and rrpicarchives is for.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #7
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
If they weren't so picky, there'd be a bunch shitty photos on this site. That's what flickr and rrpicarchives is for.
With that attitude, you would have loved hanging out with Doug Lilly, Bob Jordan, and me in Western Springs Sunday night.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
If they weren't so picky, there'd be a bunch shitty photos on this site. That's what flickr and rrpicarchives is for.
Lots of pics on here can be better than they are. I download them just for practice. Often a single click can do the job.
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 01-14-2019 at 05:55 PM. Reason: revision
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #9
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 756
Default

The coming at me shot was accepted which was nice, I was a little worried, but I liked the going away shot more, thought it had a chance but knew was uphill.

Bob

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...07&key=3551543
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #10
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
The coming at me shot was accepted which was nice, I was a little worried, but I liked the going away shot more, thought it had a chance but knew was uphill.

Bob

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...07&key=3551543
This one is quite soft which lessens the impact significantly. Your accepted one was far better technically, even though it's not your favorite.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #11
Decapod401
Senior Member
 
Decapod401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
The coming at me shot was accepted which was nice, I was a little worried, but I liked the going away shot more, thought it had a chance but knew was uphill.

Bob

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...07&key=3551543
Thanks for letting us know that that rejection reason is still in play!

Image © Steve Schmollinger
PhotoID: 683871
Photograph © Steve Schmollinger


Image © Steve Schmollinger
PhotoID: 682000
Photograph © Steve Schmollinger


Image © Steve Schmollinger
PhotoID: 681047
Photograph © Steve Schmollinger
__________________
Doug Lilly

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 PM   #12
RobJor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
Thanks for letting us know that that rejection reason is still in play!
On mine if wasn't so old I could have moved position and changed my shutter speed, checked focus and then have a sharp going away reject. Really thinking of getting a drone, heck with that standing in the cold shooting moving trains at night. With all the rail yards around Chicago I should be in the top 5 lickity split. (That's and old guy saying).

Bob
Oh, shouldn't give anyone ideas.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:57 PM   #13
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,740
Default

I was scared to death to fly my drone up there. Airspace restrictions out the wazoo, and that wind. I would like to attempt the grain facility at Ransom again though.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #14
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
Thanks for letting us know that...
...some photographers get, shall we say, more leeway?
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #15
Grewup on the CW
Senior Member
 
Grewup on the CW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 240
Default

Since we are on the going away thing, here is one of mine rejected for that reason. I thought the fact it was Father's day weekend, Steam, I'm grabbing the shot from the rear of the train and the person on the bike was trying their best to out race us would warrant a pass but it didnt.... Looking back there is other stuff I see wrong with the pic but that was the rejection I got.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WM734 2011.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	9693  
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:39 AM   #16
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Since we are on the going away thing, here is one of mine rejected for that reason. I thought the fact it was Father's day weekend, Steam, I'm grabbing the shot from the rear of the train and the person on the bike was trying their best to out race us would warrant a pass but it didnt.... Looking back there is other stuff I see wrong with the pic but that was the rejection I got.
Probably would have been accepted if it were Mother's Day.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #17
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I was scared to death to fly my drone up there. Airspace restrictions out the wazoo, and that wind. I would like to attempt the grain facility at Ransom again though.

Loyd L.
Yeah, attempting to use a drone near any major city is problematic. Large airports with commercial activity typically have Class B or Class C airspace, and it goes all the way to the ground within 5 nautical miles of the airport, although that can vary. To operate ANYTHING in that airspace (airplane, copter, blimp, balloon, drone), even close to the ground, requires communication with the responsible Radar Approach Control, a Mode C (altitude reporting) Transponder, and an ATC Clearance. You actually have to hear the words "Cleared into the Chicago Bravo Airspace, maintain (specified altitude), fly heading (specified heading)". No one gets to just wander in Bravo Airspace. Everybody is on a specific clearance and woe to thee who fails to comply with it. Charlie Airspace is less restrictive, but you still need communication with ATC prior to entering and you still need the transponder. Obviously, the vast majority of drones have no way to comply with these regulations. Possessing a current Sectional Aeronautical Chart for the area where you intend to fly will really help you understand the airspace situation and where you can and can't operate.
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:26 PM   #18
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Yeah, attempting to use a drone near any major city is problematic. Large airports with commercial activity typically have Class B or Class C airspace, and it goes all the way to the ground within 5 nautical miles of the airport, although that can vary. To operate ANYTHING in that airspace (airplane, copter, blimp, balloon, drone), even close to the ground, requires communication with the responsible Radar Approach Control, a Mode C (altitude reporting) Transponder, and an ATC Clearance. You actually have to hear the words "Cleared into the Chicago Bravo Airspace, maintain (specified altitude), fly heading (specified heading)". No one gets to just wander in Bravo Airspace. Everybody is on a specific clearance and woe to thee who fails to comply with it. Charlie Airspace is less restrictive, but you still need communication with ATC prior to entering and you still need the transponder. Obviously, the vast majority of drones have no way to comply with these regulations. Possessing a current Sectional Aeronautical Chart for the area where you intend to fly will really help you understand the airspace situation and where you can and can't operate.
Good information there. Do drone sellers share those restrictions with drone buyers?
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #19
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Good information there. Do drone sellers share those restrictions with drone buyers?
Most UAVs will display a warning, and require an override by the user to fly in restricting locations. Any UAV running on AIRMAP software will be unable to leave the ground unless a key is provided to assure permission was granted.

Loyd L.
__________________
Social Media elevates the absurd and mediocre to a point where they aren't anymore, and that is a tragedy.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:04 PM   #20
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Most UAVs will display a warning, and require an override by the user to fly in restricting locations. Any UAV running on AIRMAP software will be unable to leave the ground unless a key is provided to assure permission was granted.

Loyd L.
I really applaud what the manufacturers are doing. Before the advent of some of these controls, there were some really scary YouTube videos posted of people flying at altitudes well above 400 AGL and in the clouds. The latter really scares the heck out of those of us who fly under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR), because we rely on Air Traffic Control (ATC) to avoid other aircraft when we can't see them and of course, when we are in the clouds, we can't see anything.

To me, the key thing to make drone flying safe is training. The world of aviation has its own procedures, rules and regulations and unfortunately, the general public (and the media) are virtually clueless about how it all works. It is a completely different world. As a driver, you wouldn't want a clueless person on the highway who didn't know a thing about the rules. The same is true about aviators. Before anyone would hand the me the keys to an airplane (yes, light aircraft do have keys), I had to prove to the Feds that I was capable of operating in the National Airspace System without hurting anybody or creating any kind of havoc. I had to take many hours of expensive training, and take both written and practical tests to prove that I had the knowledge and skill to fly. I think it only makes sense that drone operators should have to take some sort of basic course, so that they understand how they fit into the system, and what rules they are expected to follow. Unfortunately, the sort of "orientation" class that I speak of isn't something you can cover in a 10 minute briefing.

Good discussion, even if we've wandered way the heck off topic.
__________________
/Kevin

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.