Old 07-10-2007, 04:09 AM   #26
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45
I read a guys rail photography web page....
Excellent post, Ken.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #27
Switched out

Quote:
I read a guys rail photography web page where he gave tips on rail photography. .......Snip........
Well written Ken, I could not of said it better.

Christine.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #28
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
What website did you read that from? I'd like to read it myself.
Let me see if I can unearth it. It's been a couple years, and I didn't bookmark it.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #29
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Let me see if I can unearth it. It's been a couple years, and I didn't bookmark it.
It wasn't Jim Gillie (Grumpys world) was it? That's been gone for quite a few months now.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #30
JRMDC

Quote:
It wasn't Jim Gillie (Grumpys world) was it? That's been gone for quite a few months now.
Bummer! One can't even get it at archive.org!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #31
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
Well, I looked for it for quite awhile and can't find it. However, that name does ring a bell, and may have been it.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #32
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Bummer! One can't even get it at archive.org!
Yeah, it's really too bad. I am unsure if he just gave up the website or the hobby entirely. Anyone know?
Old 07-11-2007, 03:15 AM   #33
Frederick

Quote:
Yeah, it's really too bad. I am unsure if he just gave up the website or the hobby entirely. Anyone know?
I'm betting it was due to burnout.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:47 AM   #34
Mike B.
Banned

With nothing but coal trains to shoot, I would quit too!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 PM   #35
WisconsinCentral

My 2 Cents is this. I wouldnt particularly love to see a bunch of artistic shots that are from the 60s for one reason, the engines are gone and I'd much rather look at the engine 9 times out of 10 then a bunch of artistic shots of it through mountains, a mile away in the desert when its as small as a dust particle, or a exposure of any F Unit blasting past some signals. I love taking artsy shots, but most of the time if I choose to do that, I make sure I got a good shot of the power. Ive always had that eye for the abstract shot, or something that I dont get to do often (like wide open shots, profile views) because Im in the cities where its either to wooded, or too industrialized/urbanized. This isnt that artsy, but I do like how the shot turned out.

Image © Alec Holmes
PhotoID: 193117
Photograph © Alec Holmes

Its great to see the artistic shots when they do pop up in old collections, but the locomotives are what photographers back then focused on, and I for one am greatful!

Alec
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #36
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral
Image © Alec Holmes
PhotoID: 193117
Photograph © Alec Holmes

Its great to see the artistic shots when they do pop up in old collections, but the locomotives are what photographers back then focused on, and I for one am greatful!
That's also a nice way to work around the high sun problem. I like that shot.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #37
WisconsinCentral

Exactly, thanks Carl!

Alec
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #38
SamD

Quote:
Of course not every photograph on this website and others will remain, but just look at the technology we're using. Back in the days of steam, F-units, and even when SD40-2s were king, the easiest way to share your photos was to show them to friends or go to a meet. Now, all you have to do is make a few clicks and the entire world can see your photos. Yes, the supply of todays photos will go down with time, but it will never get as low as it is for steam, F-units, etc.
There might be something to that, but no matter the variables regarding how many people are shooting trackside, or how easy it is to distribute photos there's still the under laying dynamic in the micro view that will limit the number of "common power, common angle" shots people produce based on if the photographer decides weather or not to fire the shutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd
"gee, its just a model T"
"gee, its just another steam locomotive"
"gee, its just another F A-B-B-A set"
This is the under laying dynamic I'm talking about.

Ever not shoot a train because it's "just another GEVO/ SD70/SD40-2/whatever's common where you are? I sure have. In point of fact, since I mentioned SD40s, I'd all but given up on shooting UP SD40-2s unless they were under perfect conditions and I had a good composition. However a railfan from a different part of the Chicago-area who saw a picture I shot of a set of UP SD40s commented on how he hadn't seen UP SD40s in forever. I hadn't been aware that they had fallen out of use elsewhere on the UP's Chicago operations and regarded them as little better than GEACs but apparently I should have had more respect for their growing rarity.

Another example of this mindset was in a book of photographs from the post-steam CNW (up until the merger). One chapter off the book was devoted to the CNW's commuter operations, which the photograph admitted was not his favorite subject on the railroad at the time he took these photos. Yet he had the presence of mind to shoot them enough to fill a whole chapter of his book.

Now, if you think that just because digital photography causes people to just shoot everything, I'd refer you to a conversation awhile back on this forum in which a number of people said they were sick of seeing Metra pictures. What that thread didn't get into is that the oldest of the currently ubiquitously blue and red F40PHs are approaching 30 years of age. That's a long service life for any engine, let alone one in an assignemnt as grueling as commuter service. I don't know when Metra's finally going to get around to ordering more engines, but I don't expect the oldest F40s (numbers 100-120) to be around much longer. The newer F40PH-2s are a bit younger, but not by that much. As a result, I shoot Metra every chance I get to produce a halfway decent image. I'm not sure if all rail photographs around Chicago have adopted this altitude.

If history is any guide, probably not.

Even if their are a larger number of pictures out there, and it's easier to share them, the fact it's something you can't go out and see yourself but have to rely on other people to share will create a demand.

Believe me, in 30 years we'll all be as happy to see a picture of a Metra F40 at that crossing in the MILW E8 photo under cloudy skies as we are to see an E8 from 30 years ago there today.
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #39
JRMDC

It's been about 16 days since this thread was rolling, Sam, and I've long since forgotten what it was all about and why I cared at that time.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote