Old 11-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #51
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris crook
Dude, your panties are bunching.
I see your wheels started to spin, but then the hamster died.

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #52
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain
I was standing on a concrete base that holds a signal bridge in place, to get this shot. the crew(who waved), and the people sitting on their porch(not in the frame),also Didn't seem to care. Most people around here see me standing track side with a camera hanging on my shoulder and wave because they know what I'm doing.
It was integral to the composition I was looking for.
That's great, but it is in no way comparable to what cockyboysd40 did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore
I see your wheels started to spin, but then the hamster died.
...nice one.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #53
lock4244

I always remember bumping into a guy at around Cresson, PA., back in 1997 or 1999 who proudly told me he'd taken the libery to rummage through stored position light signals at AR tower (CR kept them for spare parts). Helped himself to a few of the signal heads as souviners as he was movong out west. Why some feel they have a God given right to be on RR's property (and take whatever they please) is beyond me. I believe most or all RR's have rules banning employee's from being on the property unless they are on duty, so even their employee's aren't welcome.

We're not supposed to be there, but most RR's seem to tolerate railfans. However, blatant, in your face trespassing will pretty much ensure the rest of us get alot of grief simply standing at a crossing with a camera.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #54
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
That's great, but it is in no way comparable to what cockyboysd40 did.
I almost thought you left out the y in cocky upon first reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
We're not supposed to be there, but most RR's seem to tolerate railfans. However, blatant, in your face trespassing will pretty much ensure the rest of us get alot of grief simply standing at a crossing with a camera.
I say probably 39 of my 41 pictures were taken at crossings, usually I will walk up the tracks if its a wide open area, and I never get on the tracks. I was sitting on the roof of my truck once parked trackside and a Virgina State Trooper drove by and didn't do anything so...
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #55
SCFrankie

I think I'm stuck in between..

I do find locomotives interesting, but can't identify them other than obvious stuff like GP9's, a GP38 or those ever famous GP10's.. I can tell older EMD's from GE's, but that is about it.. Newer locomotives have me baffled. Because of where I am and where my daily routine takes me I rarely see trains (once every few months at best), so I will take anything I can get. I am just grateful I get to see them.

Photography is a rather expensive hobby, IMO (upfront cost that is). Since I don't have a reliable camera I don't usually waste too much of my time taking pictures. My interest lies with shortlines, unfortunately there seems to be a void when it comes to RPN on that subject which makes it a challenge to find good photos with clear skies and level horizons...
SCFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:13 PM   #56
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
However, blatant, in your face trespassing will pretty much ensure the rest of us get alot of grief simply standing at a crossing with a camera.
I'd be willing to bet at LEAST half of the pictures on this site were the result of blatant, in your face trespassing...somewhere...at some point.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #57
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I know that about 2% of my pics on this site were on top of signals, and of my latest 30 (not including signals) there is 1 from railway property. I'm actually pretty good most of the time (who wants a wedgie from 5 feet away, anyways) but I do have my moments where I go a little extra ways to get the shot.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #58
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
I'd be willing to bet at LEAST half of the pictures on this site were the result of blatant, in your face trespassing...somewhere...at some point.

Trespassing is trespassing, but safely crossing the ROW to get better light vs. climbing on a signal or welcoming yourself into a yard, etc?

12 of 115 makes 10.5% if you count crossing the ROW or just being closer than the 50'. If you're going to go through the trouble to risk 'blantant' trespassing, take the time to ask first. You may actually reap more benefits in the long run...speaking from experience. The worst that will happen is you'll get a no, and could get anything in between.

Last edited by EMTRailfan; 11-09-2008 at 01:22 PM.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #59
JRMDC

I think there is a huge difference between standing safely on what is railroad property but not on the ROW versus climbing onto a piece of RR equipment, signal or otherwise, to get a shot. The former seems like driving faster than the speed limit but moving at the same speed as all the traffic while the latter seems like going the wrong way on a one way street.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #60
Ween

Think of it this way: what's the difference between climbing on a signal to get a shot and climbing on/into a parked train to get a shot?

Nothing.

I doubt anyone would do the latter, so why is the former somehow acceptable in anyone's mind?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #61
bigbassloyd

I was all over the railroads property last month, at Cass Scenic Railroad!

The Railroaders' job is hard enough, why make them worry if you're going to jump in front of their train?

I always do my best to stay at least 20 feet from the track, and wave to acknowledge that I do see the train.

I find it hard to believe people actually climb on trains and signals for shots! One false move, and you're somebody's bad memory for life...

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 11-09-2008 at 04:28 PM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #62
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd
I was all over the railroads property last month, at Cass Scenic Railroad!

Loyd L.
Oh come on, that doesn't really count, Cass Scenic or any scenic for that matter isn't a real railroad.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #63
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

I'm sure everyone here has trespassed, and are still trespassing. I'm sure I do, I haven't been called in, nor do I know of any railfans that have here. I mostly stand at crossings anyway since I am usually chasing a train. I never have climed on a signal before, I used the concrete block that held the signal bridge in place on one of my shots since it was the only way I could get the elevation I needed.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:08 AM   #64
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
Trespassing is trespassing, but safely crossing the ROW to get better light vs. climbing on a signal or welcoming yourself into a yard, etc?
If you've placed ONE toe onto RR property, you've trespassed. Driving 1 mph over the speed limit is still considered speeding, yet everyone does it.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:29 AM   #65
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
If you've placed ONE toe onto RR property, you've trespassed. Driving 1 mph over the speed limit is still considered speeding, yet everyone does it.
I agree, hence the 'trespassing is trespassing.' My argument is only driving that 1 MPH over (safely crossing the ROW)vs. driving 55 MPH through a school zone (climbing on a signal or equipment.) Besides that, I don't know ANY cops that will bust you for 1 MPH over.

Last edited by EMTRailfan; 11-10-2008 at 02:33 AM.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:42 AM   #66
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
I agree, hence the 'trespassing is trespassing.' My argument is only driving that 1 MPH over (safely crossing the ROW)vs. driving 55 MPH through a school zone (climbing on a signal or equipment.) Besides that, I don't know ANY cops that will bust you for 1 MPH over.
Irrelevant. Breaking the law is breaking the law.

And I still stand by my estimate that at least half of the shots on RP came by way of trespassing to some degree.

And we all speed as well on the way to those photo spots. Except, of course, the guys who ride their bikes.

Last edited by JimThias; 11-10-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:46 AM   #67
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
And we all speed as well on the way to those photo spots. Except, of course, the guys who ride their bikes.
Officer: "You know what the speed limit is sir?"

Me: "No, I didn't see any signs"

Officer: "You can't see signs at the speeds you were going"

My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote