Old 05-16-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
NYSubway18

Default Does it always have to be sunny?

Just curious. I happen to really like snow shots, and many cloudy days can really let greens and oranges pop. Hard to have a bright sunny day and snow...so what do I do? Forget snow pics and all cloudy days or try again? What do you guys think of these?

This was the middle of a full April snow storm - and there are only a few shots of this engine in the database - none in the snow.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1049019913

I know this one is cloudy, but thought there was enough interest in the shot to make it decent. Then again I am a bit biased. Should I just shelve this one?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=255951735

Just looking to improve, and figure out what can and can't get it. Seems there are cloudy pics in the DB, but maybe they are getting tougher?
NYSubway18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:14 AM   #2
Alan

From my experience, RP doesn't except photos unless they were taken on a bright sunny day. I took some great photos of the BNSF between thunderstorms on a cloudy day and all were rejected. Go ahead and shoot what you like. Not getting your pictures posted on RP isn't the end of the world.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Guys guys guys, come on now. Don't start yet ANOTHER rant thread. PLEASE, for everyones sake. The first shot isn't a snow shot, it's a crap weather half wedgie half roster shot. The 2nd is so so. I like it except the tree is just too prominent. It looks like a wedgie with a tree in the way.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #4
bigbassloyd

No, it doesn't always have to be sunny. When it's not sunny, you need to make a better scene than you would normally get away with in good lighting (Read no standard boring wedgies).

This weeks POTW is a perfect example of what to do on cloudy days...

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
Wizzo

The other comments are correct - to get a snow storm shot accepted, its got to be heavy(ish) snow.

Shameless plug as we get so little opportunity to shoot these in the UK - here's a snow shot

Image © Stephen Dance
PhotoID: 270869
Photograph © Stephen Dance

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
jdirelan87

Getting cloudy shots on is a two part process. Part 1; interesting/well composed. Part 2; good post processing. Sorry, but your two rejected shots have neither.

(7 of my last 30 shots on RP are cloudy)
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Bryan Jones

12 out of my last 14 shots posted here are cloudy day shots. However because of the interesting subject matter they made it in. Here are links to just a few:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...282534&nseq=11

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=283286&nseq=2

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=283137&nseq=6

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=283131&nseq=9

Its not impossible to have cloudy day shots accepted, you just have to have an above average subject. Average power probably isn't going to cut it.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
Bryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Guys guys guys, come on now. Don't start yet ANOTHER rant thread. PLEASE, for everyones sake. The first shot isn't a snow shot, it's a crap weather half wedgie half roster shot. The 2nd is so so. I like it except the tree is just too prominent. It looks like a wedgie with a tree in the way.

I really fail to see where those two were "ranting"?
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
NYSubway18

No rant, just a question. I'm just trying to learn. Nice that some of you GOM's came out of the womb taking perfect pictures.

Quote:
The first shot isn't a snow shot
Funny, in New York we call the white stuff that falls from the sky snow. Seemed like a lot for Arizona.

If the shots aren't up to par, that's fine - that's what I'm here for. To find out what's wrong, what is acceptable here, and how I can improve. I love trains and I love photography - just want to put them together. Thanks to those who were helpful with some comments and examples.

In the interest of learning, jdirelan87 what areas can improve in the PP'ing on my shots. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
Ween

Quote:
Nice that some of you GOM's came out of the womb taking perfect pictures.
GOM's? Learn me.

Quote:
what areas can improve in the PP'ing on my shots.
Cloudy shots (to include snow storm shots) can be tricky to process because the light just isn't your friend. The camera's sensor isn't human eyeball good, so the resulting images just don't look like reality. The only real examples I have to show a camera shot and a processed-to-more-reality shot are these:

Straight from the camera:

Processed:
Old 05-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #11
NYSubway18

Quote:
GOM's? Learn me.
Grumpy Old Men Heavily used on one of the model train forums I've been on for years. There's always a few that always seem to have nothing positive to say, and are always quick to jump on others. They've lost all patience with people trying to learn, and I've lost all patience with grumps that don't seem to enjoy this great hobby.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 PM   #12
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSubway18 View Post
Funny, in New York we call the white stuff that falls from the sky snow. Seemed like a lot for Arizona.
To translate what I think Ben meant and what I seem to see, it's not a lot of snow in the shot. Perhaps more of an explicit mention in the caption of a Spring snow in Arizon in April might merit the shot getting in the database, but I doubt it. It's not a lot of snow and it looks more like noise than snow at first glance.

Also, the shot is leaning to the left as if the train is about to roll down a hill and off the picture. I also don't think the engine is rare enough to merit this shot getting in, but I could be wrong.

Your posts seem to be more sarcastic than need be, too. I don't recall any "GOM" saying anyone here takes perfect pictures.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #13
NYSubway18

Hi Joe,

I did mention it was a Spring Snow, so the pics is just not good enough. That's fine. I was asking a question, no rant at all, just looking for some help to improve and just thought his response was uncalled for. On another board where I am a lot more seasoned I hate to see newbies jumped on and put off. Many go away never to enjoy their hobby of choice again. Not going to happen to me here even though I am new here, and had a rough week but I have seen others get chased off unnecessarily by guys like him. So yes, I had my full NY sarcasm out for show, but tongue was firmly in cheek.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:23 AM   #14
Dennis A. Livesey

The first thing to learn here is that RP is about:

"Hey, that's a great picture of a train!"

It's not about:

"Hey, that's a picture of a great train!"

The quality of the photography is paramount here. RP does not really care about what is rare today but more about how well, or interestingly it is photographed.

That's one of the main reason's I'm here. I love great photography and I don't want to waste time on images that are not.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:59 AM   #15
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Didn't know 22 was considered old? Ween, may I have permission?

Fail.

Ben
Old 05-17-2009, 04:10 AM   #16
NYSubway18

22?! OK, you're too young to be that cranky. Maybe I mis-read the intent of your post. I'm used to seeing that reaction to others who are in their 60s and 70s - but seeing as I have 11 years on you that shouldn't be the case. You tell me.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #17
SCFrankie

Your best bet is to go out on clear days, or at least days where some blue sky is showing. I would not avoid overcast skies completely, sometimes if there is a rare movement we just can't help but accept the weather.. But if the ball is in your court, aim for days with better weather.

You can use this website to find the hours of a particular day where the sky will be clear and/or transparent:

http://cleardarksky.com/csk/index.html#chart_list

It only projects 3 days at a time, but is a very helpful chart when planning an outing.
SCFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #18
Joe the Photog

I find that if you're shooting on cloudy days, finding colorful engines really helps hyour chances, too

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This one took a lot of processing to get just right. Another thing that helped it get in is that it was (is?) the only shot in thedatabase from this angle of the bridge. I pointed out in the "Commments To Screeners" box that if the sun had been out, it would have been straight over the road sign on the bridge, backlighting the shot doubly.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

If it's raining and cloudy, make it part of the caption, esp. if it's due to a hurricane. Shooting an orange U18B no doubt helped.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Or get a crew change with the NS f units.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

The last shot was also the first on the web of the lettering on the L&C GP. The thing is not to stay away from trackside when it's cloudy or rainy, but to understand that getting a shot on here may be harder than when sunny. Regardless, railfan when you want. Never mind the weather.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:21 AM   #19
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Adding interest to the scene or reducing the amount of overexposed/overcast sky in the frame will increase your chances of acceptance, in my opinion. As was said in another thread, let overhead bridges be your friend on these types of days.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:35 AM   #20
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

No, it doesn't have to be sunny. Look at my photos, and you'll see some good bad and downright terrible examples of acceptable cloudy day shots.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #21
wds

Just a thought - try pumping the contrast and sharpening a bit if you haven't already. I've found in the past that sometimes "light" snow magically becomes more apparent with just a bit of tweaking.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=216800

W.
wds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #22
NYSubway18

Got one...

Image © Chris C. Shaffer
PhotoID: 284579
Photograph © Chris C. Shaffer