Old 03-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
UP_1995

Default Dealing with photo lines

I was with the CNWHS yesterday and we had the 244 a Alco RS1 While I dont beileve this is RP worthy because we were loosing light fast and the photo line. However how would you guys deal with this location because of the photoline ect.

Tips?
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=22754 my vids here
http://www.rail-videos.net/showvideos.php
http://www.youtube.com/user/cnwfan
UP_1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
JRMDC

I don't understand the question "deal with the photo line." You pick your spot, on the line or away from it, and go for it. In this case the light was gone, nothing to be done. Next time someone should arrange for the plants/weeds to be removed, with appropriate permission as needed.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

I'm not sure what you mean by "how would you deal with this location because of the photo line?" Are you talking about the angle that you picked, or are you talking about dealing with a hoard of other photographers ending up with the same shot, or what?

With regards to this shot:
- Get ride of the shrub in the foreground
- Wait a few months until it's green and not brown
- Better light would certainly be nice, of course
Old 03-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
UP_1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "how would you deal with this location because of the photo line?" Are you talking about the angle that you picked, or are you talking about dealing with a hoard of other photographers ending up with the same shot, or what?

With regards to this shot:
- Get ride of the shrub in the foreground
- Wait a few months until it's green and not brown
- Better light would certainly be nice, of course
A bit of both.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

First the scene...

and then the photo line.

Last edited by travsirocz; 03-21-2010 at 06:37 PM.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
UP_1995

I thought we were more helpfull then the above vids around here. While I got one decent responce the youtube viedos were not needed and they were not one bit of help, sorry. I thought I would get some advice about photo lines since im new with them.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_1995 View Post
I thought I would get some advice about photo lines since im new with them.
Avoid them and get creative.
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
TAMR159

Quote:
I thought we were more helpfull then the above vids around here. While I got one decent responce the youtube viedos were not needed and they were not one bit of help, sorry. I thought I would get some advice about photo lines since im new with them.
Have a sense of humor!

Honestly, the best way I've found to deal with photolines is to just avoid them entirely. Too much of a hassle for a shot that's identical to 20 other peoples' shots. "You're in my shot!" "Shut up, you're ruining my video!" "Everyone move to the left 2 feet, there's a twig in my shot!" "How about I come down there and kick your ass?"

No thanks, I'll avoid the charters entirely or find a nice, tucked-away spot that I can have to myself...
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
travsirocz

Weren't needed????! The videos completely solve both problems you have. Trackside garbage and a line of people in the way.

Last edited by travsirocz; 03-21-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
John Craft

Quote:
In the words of the great philosopher, John Winger, "Lighten up, Francis."

The location for the photo line clearly wasn't chosen by a photographer, much less one putting any thought into how everyone in the group can get a good photo. I would "deal with this location" by picking another one, or putting the camera back in the bag.
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
KevinM

Quote:
I thought I would get some advice about photo lines since im new with them.
Hi Todd,

How you "deal" with photo lines depends on a lot of things. It really helps if the charter operator gives you some intel on the photo locations prior to the trip. The best ones typically put together a list of run-by locations and will sometimes even give you diagrams showing the photo line positions. That kind of information allows you to plan your angles and make a bee-line for the spot you want as soon as you are off the train. As soon as you get there, look for obstructions, shadows or other issues that might dictate a different plan. Don't wait for the photo line to completely form or you may not have much choice where to stand. If you do get stuck in a spot with someone or something obstructing your shot, don't be afraid to ask the "obstructor" to work with you. If you're still not successful ask the charter operator for help. Those folks get repeat business by making customers happy, so as long as you are nice, they will almost always try to help you.

As others have implied, sometimes it is good to get away from the photo line and get a unique angle. Some of the best shots on RP habitually wander away from the line. If you're going to wander however, it REALLY helps to know the spots in advance. You will usually need to know what you're going to do in advance. And of course, make sure that whatever you do does not foul someone else's shot. Be aware that at some photo spots, you won't have room to wander and you'll just have to settle for the photo line shot.

Again, if there are personal conflicts, being nice generally works better than cussing or yelling at the folks who are causing the issue for you.

As for the spot in your shot...... As John Craft noted, no experienced charter operator would have picked that spot or those lighting conditions.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 03-21-2010 at 10:24 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
UP_1995

There are about two locations they picked to do photo run bys at The Y camp is one and 'gravel pit siding is another, For those that havent been on the BSV heres a link that will hopfully show you where the locations are
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...06201&t=h&z=17
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...06201&t=h&z=17
Old 03-22-2010, 01:37 AM   #13
pderekh

note to self for next trip...bring machette!

seriously, I was expecting to see people in your shot, i.e. the photo line.

Last summer I went out to shoot 4449 in Indiana on it's return trip. I was there mid morning and just held my ground, especially after lunch time and didn't move. As long as people are respcting property lines, shouldn't be a problem. The ligthing that day, however... and then don't get me started on learning the difference b/w oil and coal in terms of smoke. Did I mention the smok was better in town when I was chasing him trying to find some side-light?
pderekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 AM   #14
Ween

Quote:
In the words of the great philosopher, John Winger, "Lighten up, Francis."

Wow. Big-time fail. Sgt. Hulka said that.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #15
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

When I was chasing the 315 on the Cumbres and Toltec, I got my position by the Cumbres section house. I was the first one there. Soon after many photographers lined up behind me. Then they started screaming at me to get out of the way. I gave them my finger and told the I was there first. They eventually moved elsewhere. I got my shots and plenty of them ended up on RP.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:13 AM   #16
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Oh, so YOU were that guy!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:18 AM   #17
coborn35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
When I was chasing the 315 on the Cumbres and Toltec, I got my position by the Cumbres section house. I was the first one there. Soon after many photographers lined up behind me. Then they started screaming at me to get out of the way. I gave them my finger and told the I was there first. They eventually moved elsewhere. I got my shots and plenty of them ended up on RP.

Chris Z
YES! Atta boy!
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:30 AM   #18
cblaz

Quote:
Hopefully the photographers were chasers, and not paying patrons.

The "I was the first person there" rule is good, unless the first person to a location doesn't understand how to compose a good photo. Many photo lines will start like 3 feet away from the ballast and angle away with out people realizing that if they all took 10 steps back, they could include a really nice depot or prop in the photo.

- Chris
Old 03-22-2010, 04:33 AM   #19
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post

The "I was the first person there" rule is good, unless the first person to a location doesn't understand how to compose a good photo. Many photo lines will start like 3 feet away from the ballast and angle away with out people realizing that if they all took 10 steps back, they could include a really nice depot or prop in the photo.

- Chris
So your saying to maybe add something other then the train? Get outta here!
Old 03-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #20
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post

- Chris
Actually, I purchased a chase pass for 75 bucks. I know a lot of the other photographers didn't have one. And here is that particular shot I got and I wouldn't budge.
Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 298335
Photograph © Chris Zygmunt

There was another fellow next to me, as you can see by the partial shadow on the bottom. I think he said his name was Jim Conway, also helped stand my ground.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #21
KevinM

Quote:
Actually, I purchased a chase pass for 75 bucks. I know a lot of the other photographers didn't have one. And here is that particular shot I got and I wouldn't budge.
Image © Chris Zygmunt
PhotoID: 298335
Photograph © Chris Zygmunt

There was another fellow next to me, as you can see by the partial shadow on the bottom. I think he said his name was Jim Conway, also helped stand my ground.

Chris Z
Chris, I am curious as to where those other folks wanted to shoot. If they were to your right, I can't imagine you'd have been in their shot. If they were behind you.....well, there's not much behind you to add to the scene you captured here. If they were across the bridge and on the hillside behind you, I suspect they could have either framed you out....or photoshopped you out, at that distance.

I think I would have passed on the use of hand signals though. There are animals out there....the two-legged kind....some of whom have far more testosterone than brains.

Offering chase passes was a great idea. I wonder how many they sold? If I were there I certainly would have jumped at the opportunity. The operation you were shooting posed a difficult dilema. Most of us want to support these types of events because they have no future unless we do. Unfortunately, on the line in question, the chasers invariably get more and better shots than the riders. The chase pass is a great compromise, especially for the folks who truly could not afford the charter fare.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #22
John Craft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post

Wow. Big-time fail. Sgt. Hulka said that.
I thought everyone said it at some point during the movie.

But then, it's been a long time since I've seen it.
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:44 AM   #23
sd9

Quote:
Photolines, responce, viedos...all kinds of new words, BTW I learned a lot from the viedos.
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:33 AM   #24
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

The thing about photo lines is that you simply have to get the best shot.
Image © Matthew Hicks
PhotoID: 317089
Photograph © Matthew Hicks

Showed up around dawn not knowing when she'd come, picked out my spot and stuck to it, and just took a good photo. Not exactly the best I could have done, but I feel confident that I got the best shot there. Well, maybe second to the guy with the ladder, but certainly a damn good shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foamers.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	5287  
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #25
chuckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159 View Post
Have a sense of humor!

Honestly, the best way I've found to deal with photolines is to just avoid them entirely. Too much of a hassle for a shot that's identical to 20 other peoples' shots. "You're in my shot!" "Shut up, you're ruining my video!" "Everyone move to the left 2 feet, there's a twig in my shot!" "How about I come down there and kick your ass?"

No thanks, I'll avoid the charters entirely or find a nice, tucked-away spot that I can have to myself...
This post gave me a good laugh! Thanks Nick! This reminds me of when I was shooting the A&A or even worse-Sanford Road on a Saturday morning!

My photos on flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53728467@N08/
chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote