Old 04-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
CP 8848
Banned

Thumbs down Railpictures.net resignation statement.

Dear Group,

Due to some recent issues that occurred between me and the Railpictures.net forum community, combined with Railpictures' strict photo acceptance policy, I have decided that I will no longer contribute to Railpictures.net.

This is a hobby, which I greatly enjoy, however some of you people insist on stealing the fun away from me. I think my Railfanning will be much more enjoyable if I keep it to myself, rather than sharing my experiences with people who I think are friends, but are really enemies and where I have to worry about making my pictures absolutely perfect, even though the outside conditions where the pictures are taken are not perfect.

I'm sorry that I'm only 13 years old and can't choose the perfect word and phrase for every discussion. An adult friend of mine told me that people would understand that I'm only 13, so I've made the effort to tell everybody I'm a young Railfan, but I guess some of you don't understand, and for whatever reason you like attacking me just as a bully on the playground would. My mother tells me I'm immature at times...I wonder what she'd call some of you guys?

For those of you who really are my friend, I thank you for giving me the photography advice, that has greatly improved my pictures. I will continue to post on YouTube for those who care....

Thank-you and have a nice day.

Daniel D.
8th Grade Advanced English Student

My pictures(View them ASAP, as I will be pulling them off the site soon):

Image © Daniel DiFiore
PhotoID: 318860
Photograph © Daniel DiFiore

Image © Daniel DiFiore
PhotoID: 318150

Image © Daniel DiFiore
PhotoID: 316281

Image © Daniel DiFiore
PhotoID: 314092

Image © Daniel DiFiore
PhotoID: 307538

Image © Daniel DiFiore
PhotoID: 307088

Image © Daniel DiFiore
PhotoID: 306822

Last edited by CP 8848; 04-06-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Seriously. Your quitting. Did we really need to know?

Did I really have to respond as an ass? yes

Old 04-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
JRMDC

Interesting. I don't have a recollection of your having received undue criticism. I did a quick search and found one thread where someone politely said you should be more careful with your captions. I might find it easier to buy into this criticism of the forums were you to actually point to examples of mistreatment. Who attacked you, when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 8848 View Post
but are really enemies and where I have to worry about making my pictures absolutely perfect, even though the outside conditions where the pictures are taken are not perfect.
Enemies? You think that some here actually think of you as an enemy? Can you tell the difference between getting criticism and being considered an enemy? This word use seems really off-base; I am curious why you used it.

As for "absolutely perfect", yes RP wants shots at a high technical standard. Sometimes it is overly picky in the view of some, including some times my view. But in my observation over years of forum participation, the much greater pattern is that people are unwilling to accept that their shots are not good enough when they are not.

As for bad conditions, there are days/locations where an RP-level shot is simply not possible, or is not possible when taking standard wedgie-type shots. One has to accept that. I myself took some shots two weekends ago that I knew had no chance on RP when I shot them. That happens all the time. That is part of the RP process/experience. If you do not want to accept that as part of the process, certainly pass on RP.

Quote:
My mother tells me I'm immature at times
This could be part of the problem ...

In general, this is an adult site, governed by adult expectations of interaction. Non-adults (sub-adults? ), teenagers, whatever, do participate here successfully, however, which suggests that the problem is your inability to adapt to this adult-oriented portion of the world. Hardly a sin for a 13 year old, but please consider the possibility that is is you and not the rest of us that is the problem.

And, please, give examples of mistreatment. We can all learn from that, but not if we don't know about it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
Did I really have to respond as an ass? yes
Well, no, you didn't. You don't teach kids with that sort of a response, you just get a brief feeling of importance or superiority for yourself, while showing others part of your true colors. How is your response going to help a 13-year old learn to get by in an adult world?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
CP 8848
Banned

Do you recall me posting a thread titled "Back when you could get anything on RP.net..."? It was removed because of all the people attacking me there.

DD
SW
Old 04-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Christopher Muller

Quote:
This is a hobby, which I greatly enjoy, however some of you people insist on stealing the fun away from me.
The only one stealing it from you, is you. Railfanning and photography is what you make it. If you revolve around a site that has "strict standards" and base your experiences on that, it is on you.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Freericks
Met Fan

I'm sorry to see you leave...

I think you have to consider that every post that calls out photos in the database results in the original poster being chastised. This is the nature of calling others out, even if you do so in a benign manner.

It's sort of like sitting in the splash zone at Sea World. You can't sit there and then be upset that the whale got you wet... you can't make a post that calls other photographers out (even under the mitigated circumstances with which you did it) and not get flamed.

Don't take it personally. You were simply sitting in the splash zone.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
bigbassloyd

Things seem much more serious when you're 13.

Walk, or don't walk. No need to advertise it.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
Old 04-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
Joe the Photog

With all due honesty and sincerity, someone needs to alert his mother so she can take away his computer time. As a father of two, if I saw my son or daughter behaving like this guy is, I would delete their forum account myself. (We already have strict online rules for them, one being that we are in the room when they are on line and we keep track of what they're doing. No forums of any kind for them yet.)

Keep taking pictures, kid. You're not too bad on that end. Grow up some while you're at it.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Well, no, you didn't. You don't teach kids with that sort of a response, you just get a brief feeling of importance or superiority for yourself, while showing others part of your true colors. How is your response going to help a 13-year old learn to get by in an adult world?
He stated in his removed thread that he has issues on other forums as well. No lessons to be learned by the unwilling. I'm not responsible of teaching him anything. Like the rest of the US, the parents need to step up and stop blaming others for thier kids issues and problems.

Last edited by travsirocz; 04-06-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
JLMcDaniel

Personally, I love that this site has such high standards. At first it was quite discouraging, but once I got my first picture in and learned more about high quality photography it improved my abilities rapidly. As far as any criticism in the forum... well, I am new here so I don't know specifics... I'm sure no one meant to be rude. They are just trying to help you. Even the people posting in this thread now seem to be trying to help. As a forum administrator for a site catering to musicians of all ages (the youngest being 10 and the oldest senior citizens), I have noticed that the younger people tend to post these temper-tantrum "goodbye" threads while the adults just disappear. Please note that I am also not intending to be rude, but I think it would do you well not take the internet so seriously. Sharing your photography and getting noticed for it is a good thing, especially on this site where it challenges you to improve. It is a shame if you decide to leave. Going by your photos here you do have potential.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
He stated in his removed thread that he has issues on other forums as well. No lessons to be learned by the unwilling. I'm not responsible of teaching him anything. Like the rest of the US, the parents need to step up and stop blaming others for thier kids issues and problems.
Cutting to the main issue, what is the point of "being an ass" in that situation? Is that who *you* want to be? That is what struck me about your post, it is as though you are proud of "being an ass."

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 04-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Cutting to the main issue, what is the point of "being an ass" in that situation? Is that who *you* want to be? That is what struck me about your post, it is as though you are proud of "being an ass."
That's it J. I'm leaving. I don't need your BS or anyone elses. Picking on me is doing nothing to improve this situation. Make sure to look at my photo links below because they will be there for awhile yet.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #14
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

You're 13. Chill. Look at others' photos that got accepted and compare them to your own.
Imagine what you would think if something you were about to say was said to you by someone else.
Don't be really defensive about anything.
Don't be afraid to think your photos suck. I can't recall most of them, but they probably do
I was 13 and on this forum once, and I was in exactly the same spot as you. Well, my photos were probably worse. I'm still here, and people love my shots now.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
Old 04-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
troy12n
Banned

Part of what the internet is that makes it so great, is you can be anything you want. You can be a "13 year old 8th grade honor student", yet act like an adult and treated as such, or you can be a 13 year old 8th grade honor student, and act like a 7 year old kindergarten brat and get treated as such.

It's all about what you make it. And from what I have seen of your behavior you have done the latter. I have to admit though, this is the first time I have seen someone resign from a web forum in writing.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
nikos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
It's all about what you make it. And from what I have seen of your behavior you have done the latter. I have to admit though, this is the first time I have seen someone resign from a web forum in writing.
You haven't been on many forums then, this type of feel sorry for me good bye letter type nonsense is pretty common, usually the person will start posting again in a few days, just a way to get attention.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #17
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

I say leave the photos on and just take a summer off and work on your ideas for photos and get better. And as you get older someone will step on your toes thru life and may as well get over having thin skin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #18
CP 8848
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Muller View Post
The only one stealing it from you, is you. Railfanning and photography is what you make it. If you revolve around a site that has "strict standards" and base your experiences on that, it is on you.
...and that's why I have decided to leave.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #19
JimThias

Quote:
Do you recall me posting a thread titled "Back when you could get anything on RP.net..."? It was removed because of all the people attacking me there.

DD
SW
No one was attacking you and no one here is your "enemy."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 04-07-2010, 01:58 AM   #20
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Quote:
...and that's why I have decided to leave.
Well, for Pete's sake, get ON with it! Out, out, out!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:42 AM   #21
Ween

Agree with John...if you're going to announce that you're leaving, then just leave. No one cares one way or another, really.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but that's the way it goes. Move forward and leave this chapter of your life in the past...
Old 04-07-2010, 02:43 AM   #22
CP 8848
Banned

"get on with it and leave"

To everyone who says or thinks that I say this:

Since I am quiting and it doesn't matter:

You are a prick. Get a life and stop picking on me, you worthless piece of shit.

Thank-you, and have a nice night.

Last edited by CP 8848; 04-07-2010 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Stupid pussy's keep pestering me.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:46 AM   #23
travsirocz

Quote:
Since I am quiting and it doesn't matter:

You are a prick. Get a life and stop picking on me, you worthless piece of shit.

Thank-you, and have a nice day.
hahahahahaha.....fail

Video version of you in this thread.

You started out of line and finished in a hole.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:48 AM   #24
CP 8848
Banned

Quote:
hahahahahaha.....fail

Video version of you in this thread.

You started out of line and finished in a hole.

Go back to minnesoda...with a lowercase "m"
Old 04-07-2010, 02:51 AM   #25
Ween

J,

You still feel good about sticking up for this kid?

Love,
Ween