Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 08-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #76
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I'd be curious to know what they rejected the 4501 shot (at Wytheville I think) for
Glade Spring, and I honestly can't remember.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #77
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post

Those came to mind the quickest.

Loyd L.
All 5 of those look fine to me. I especially like the 4501 shot. I guess that's why you'll never have to worry about me screening!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #78
lefflerlad

I'll just post this one here for some discussion:

Image © Steve Wilt
PhotoID: 585719
Photograph © Steve Wilt

Last edited by lefflerlad; 08-13-2016 at 07:06 PM.
lefflerlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #79
conrail1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefflerlad View Post
I'll just post this one here for some discussion:

Image © Steve Wilt
PhotoID: 585719
Photograph © Steve Wilt
I wish we had a certain thread back because this would have gotten ripped apart.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #80
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail1990 View Post
I wish we had a certain thread back because this would have gotten ripped apart.
The fact that the train is tied down makes it that much more of a headscratcher that the photographer would upload a shot with the trailing engines/train cut off, let alone that it was accepted.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:01 PM   #81
conrail1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
The fact that the train is tied down makes it that much more of a headscratcher that the photographer would upload a shot with the trailing engines/train cut off, let alone that it was accepted.
I was referring more to the cropping, unlevelness, overexposed and poor image quality.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:45 AM   #82
Mberry

Quote:
I was referring more to the cropping, unlevelness, overexposed and poor image quality.
That's what I'm saying as far as the cropping goes, with the train not moving it should be easy to not cut off the power/train.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:47 PM   #83
JimThias

Quote:
How about this one? Looks like it's time to dig out some of my animal-on-rails shots.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #84
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
How about this one? Looks like it's time to dig out some of my animal-on-rails shots.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
That reminds me of the time I came across a good size snapping turtle stuck between D&H rails. I wasn't about to pick it up, so how to save it? A ramp of old tie debris did the trick.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #85
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
That reminds me of the time I came across a good size snapping turtle stuck between D&H rails. I wasn't about to pick it up, so how to save it? A ramp of old tie debris did the trick.

Pick them up by the base of the tail and you won't get bit. They can reach you from half way around their shell though. There is an old wives tail that if a snapping turtle bites you, it won't let go until it hears thunder. I've been careful to not test that.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #86
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
Pick them up by the base of the tail and you won't get bit. They can reach you from half way around their shell though. There is an old wives tail that if a snapping turtle bites you, it won't let go until it hears thunder. I've been careful to not test that.

Kent in SD
That's just a regular box turtle, not an alligator snapping turtle.

Regular turtles, you just pick up by the side of the shell on each side. They might snap at you, and act mean, but they don't have any sort of substantial teeth (they are herbivores) and if they happen to get you, it wont hurt.

Alligator snapping turtles, yeah, you can pick up by the tail if you have to, they WILL bite, and it WILL hurt. The whole "hold on till it thunders" is a wives tale, effective for kids, as I still remember my dad telliing me that like almost 35 years ago

But what the hell, seriously, why are shots like this accepted?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #87
JRMDC

Quote:
Whimsy!

Hard to believe RP has any, sometimes, when they go to the turf on 0.1 degrees rotation.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:21 PM   #88
miningcamper1

Quote:

Because "the people" loved it 10,000+ views worth? Maybe they will give in and post Mitch's dog shot someday!

Old 08-21-2016, 01:56 AM   #89
Noct Foamer

Somewhere, I have a photo of half of a deer lying between the rails. Maybe I should send them that. It should be good for several thousand views too.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:02 AM   #90
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Because "the people" loved it 10,000+ views worth? Maybe they will give in and post Mitch's dog shot someday!
If you look at the details of views, you will see he linked it to some stupid facebook group, which accounts for probably all but 10 of those views
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #91
miningcamper1

Quote:
If you look at the details of views, you will see he linked it to some stupid facebook group, which accounts for probably all but 10 of those views
I doubt that a webmaster ever saw a view they weren't happy to get. Cha-ching!

Old 08-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #92
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
Somewhere, I have a photo of half of a deer lying between the rails. Maybe I should send them that. It should be good for several thousand views too.

Kent in SD
I had a few rail-kill shots a long time ago. Reaction was so negative that I tossed them into the cylindrical file.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:18 AM   #93
JimThias

Quote:
10,000+ views, favored by 40. Hmm....

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 10-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #94
John Russell - NZ

This is my first forum post since joining years ago, mainly due to the same frustrating forum entry delays detailed in the original post. I've had a similar screening experience to Rene as maybe most of us have. Resubmitted images can be accepted without editing or rejected for a different reason if corrected. I suspect it's often no reason but preference since the reason given may simply be incorrect. I too can't see this inconsistency changing anytime soon. Not sure if more screeners would make any difference unless an international focus is wanted, which seems most unlikely. The new daily upload allocation (apparently due to high photo rejection rates) may address screener/owner concern about site content and ratings. Since this thread started with an idea, here's one: Rejected photos on appeal go to a forum panel or simply get accepted on a trial basis and automatically removed if not favorited in time.
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #95
bala

Hi,

I have also faced similar type of situation wherein the picture got rejected because it was 'awkwardly' placed.

Certain pictures lose their charm if it strictly adheres to Rp.Net's strict rule of thirds.

Again, it depends purely on how the Screener views the picture.

Also, sometimes Consistency seems to be lacking. I am attaching a picture of mine which got rejected because of 'Clutter' & another another one from another contributor which got accepted 2 days back. The link is here:
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/590860/

My RP.Net link is [http://www.railpictures.net/showphot...?userid=64797]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9776.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	983.1 KB
ID:	9260  
bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #96
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala View Post
Hi,

Also, sometimes Consistency seems to be lacking. I am attaching a picture of mine which got rejected because of 'Clutter' & another another one from another contributor which got accepted 2 days back. The link is here:
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/590860/

My RP.Net link is [http://www.railpictures.net/showphot...?userid=64797]
There's a big difference between the accepted photo and yours. If the scene makes sense with some of the rear of the locomotive being blocked by trees or buildings, that may be OK. A through girder bridge with the trucks and frame totally obstructed I would expect to be rejected.

Doug Lilly
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #97
John Russell - NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
10,000+ views, favored by 40. Hmm....
Now back to that photo Jim. For me this sort of photo raises those questions about popularity and ratings. I viewed the photo full size only to find out what happened to the turtle not to study it in greater detail! Yes, this is a commercial site, largely paid by advertising that some of us elect not to see. This aspect of the site is a consideration in the context of screening. I suspect it's one reason why, with some of the screeners at least, overseas train photos seem to have a higher bar for acceptance. That certainly is the perception anyway from what I have been told from many members world-wide. I dare say Jean-Marc is right in his crusade - even if he does get more leniency than most of us here.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #98
John Russell - NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
The key thing that we must remember is that RP.net is a private site....essentially a small business. As such, the owners pretty much have the right to determine the content. I think they try to conform to their stated rules and that they try to be fair, but they don't have to be. They can pick and choose if they want.....just as you could pick and choose if you set up a website and were paying the bills to support it.
Kevin has put it all so well. I would add that a lot of images RPN does accept would not be accepted on other sites such as trainspo.com because of their rules. Some sites in US won't accept photos outside North America unless location is lied about.

Also consider the volunteer input in the screening of many hundreds of photos, comments and messages every day (and I suppose video postings too.) Those who work to make this site what is and says it is do a great job overall. I wouldn't be the photographer I am today without all the rejections and corrections along the way. I do hope Rene will keep posting his photos here but, sadly, I fear not.

Sorry for such belated replies. The wait to enter this forum (2 years which I thought might never end) was frustrating when I so wanted to contribute to this thread which I find the most interesting ever on RPN.

Last edited by John Russell - NZ; 10-03-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #99
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post
Now back to that photo Jim. For me this sort of photo raises those questions about popularity and ratings. I viewed the photo full size only to find out what happened to the turtle not to study it in greater detail! Yes, this is a commercial site, largely paid by advertising that some of us elect not to see. This aspect of the site is a consideration in the context of screening.
Exactly. Accepting a photo like that is click-bait.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #100
Rene de Vries

Hi all,

just to make sure nobody thinks I have died ... again... I am still very much alive.
And I have actually posted some more pictures on RPN.

@ John, thank you for your email - and I'm sorry for not having replied to it yet.
I think everything has been said by now. There are certainly pictures on RPN where one wonders what the screener was thinking when he gave the thumbs up.
And sadly, there will be absolute stunning pictures that never made it through the screening process..

@ Loyd, that black and white picture is absolutely stunning!

When it comes to posting pictures, I think one should realise that there will always be a reason as to why a picture could be rejected.
Either the train is in the middle of the picture or it is too close to the edge. There could be dead space or the train could be too small.
Of course, you will find pictures that were the screener's choice (although there was dead space, the train was tiny in the picture or was positioned smackdown in the middle of the picture).
It is the way it is, screening is basically random and you either live with it or leave RPN altogether.

Although rejections are somewhat frustrating, I think by now I have figured out what the screeners want.
It is true that certain pictures that are accepted on RPN would not be accepted on its European counterpart. There are dozens and dozens of pictures with cut off trains on RPN that wouldn't stand a chance over here.
But that is fair enough, if you post pictures on an American site, you have to accept the fact, that you're trying to appeal to a predominantly American audience.
And most Americans are probably interested in American trains (and not so much in the European stuff).

So I just keep trying to select pictures of which I think they have a good chance of being accepted..
Sometimes you win and sometimes.... well, you don't..

I couldn't turn my back on RPN completely, there are absolute stunning pictures on this site and I have favorited over 160 off 'em.
Maybe one day the screening process (and the rejection process) will be more transparent... although I am not counting on this to happen.
Untill then I will occasionally post pictures and will see if they are accepted or not

Kind regards

René

ps. I actually really liked the turtle picture.
I was able to shoot a picture of a fox lying on the tracks a few years ago:

http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/gal...&id=59045&ix=0

(just click on the link in the green part of the screen)

Ah well, some will like it, some won't.. de gustibus non est disputandum
Rene de Vries is offline   Reply With Quote