Old 05-19-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
willie6622

Default cropping & size

I can't seem to get this photo accepted: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=126834

I was rejected for cropping, but then after I cropped it I can't get it close to the 1024 x 768 or the 800X600 they require. I guess I should probably put this in my personal collection file.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:31 AM   #2
bnsf sammy

too much sky, and a little too much on the sides
bnsf sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:01 AM   #3
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

I have a couple of suggestions for the photo (which can be taken with a grain of salt ).

1.) Keep the same vertical composition, but cut a little bit off of the left side in the original to have room when you crop it down. Maybe crop it between the Cherokee and the Ford. By all means, keep the river in the shot. The scenery adds to the photo.

2.) Maybe try this with a horizontal crop, and cut a little bit of the top and bottom out.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:03 AM   #4
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmherndon
Maybe crop it between the Cherokee and the Ford.
I'll agree with that. The vehicles really dont add anything to the shot. And crop some of the sky.

Nice picture.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 04:45 AM   #5
willie6622

Default adjustments

I cropped out one of the vehicles, but had to crop some of the hoppers(that was one of the things I liked about this shot) I'll see what happens. If this one doesn't make it I'll just let this one die! It wasn't taken with my good camera, and I'm not really crazy about the image quality, but I did like the shot. I sometimes carry my old 2mp Fuji with me, & was able to grab this shot on a spur of the moment type of thing. I'm going to have to take the 8mp job with me next time.

Willie
Old 05-20-2005, 06:21 AM   #6
RJSorensen

I have had to give up my vision of a vertical shot and change them to horizontal before. Often our, the photographer and the screeners eyes are not near the same. You have to decide if you are willing to change it that much just to get it in.

Please click here should you wish to view a portion of my railroad photography . . .
RJSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:08 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

Willie;

That's actually a very good shot. I like the open spaces and would not crop eithr the truck or the Jeep out of it as that will crop out some of the coal cars and some of the space too. What I would work on is the height. Start by croppintg closer to the road before you start on the sky. (The sky is also one of the things that makes the shot in my book.)

Go back to the original file. What I do when ready to begin sizing is to work on the height. I use Adoby Photoshop Elements for most of my editting which is a pretty basic tool. (I go wit PSP8 only when I really need to do some work.) Under Image, then down to resize and over to image size and then I put 768 in the height bar. That resizes the photo down with the width somewhere between 1100 and 1200 depending on if I did any cropping before. (I might put 1024 in the width bar, but usually I tnd to crop more out of the sides than anything.) After that, I crop the sides down until they're roughly 1024. If you prefer 800X600, naturally you just change the sumbers accordingly.

So to recap, I think the shot rocks. Crop down to the correct aspect ratio from the original leaving the cars, the river and most of the sky in and resubmitt. I think it's a keeper!

Joe H.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:35 AM   #8
willie6622

Default Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer their help.