Old 08-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #26
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kV
You revile me for shooting UP? You've just slithered lower than I thought you'd ever go with this shot.
Funny thing is, about 40 minutes before this, there was a stack train with a UP SD70M leader that I let go right on by...actually, I was still driving up in the car and didn't have any time to get a shot. But still, no sweat not getting it!

The Amtrak had other eastbounds on Main 1, which kind of screwed up my shots as I was expecting them on Main 2. Damn Amtrak...
Old 08-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #27
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Damn Amtrak...
OK, you have redeemed yourself.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:04 PM   #28
NicTrain35

I put remarks in all of my photos. I try to be specific, but then I can sometimes get too specific...

My pictures at RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3955
NicTrain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:29 PM   #29
CG_F45

First off...VERY interesting discussion , lots of interesting points of view.

I am with John, busyEMT, Ween, Pat, Wesley, Christopher Muller, Switched Out, Slopes09, and Nick on the imoprtance of comments. I think that when a photog does not add the comments, it suggests that they do not realy care about their photo, and are not that proud of. However, Chuck had some very interesting and valid points on how some capitons can be lame. I think all off my captions are very lame and phoamer/foamer-ish...examples....

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

These captions just epress my idiotic opinion, and prove Chuck's points.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This caption is probably the most idiotic of my captions, again...I am a foamer!

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

But then here, in this shot, I actually have a useful caption, that gives lots of good info.

So, I guess the disscussion of the validity and usefulness of comments can go both ways, but I like to include them (no matter how idiotic) just to show that there is a human behind that camera, who cares about his shots....

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:03 AM   #30
WembYard

I'm with the majority on this as well. Sometimes a picture on RP will catch the interest without the need for a remark (though it is always nice to have some further details other than just the location and engine number) but I often find myself taking a closer look at something after reading the photographer's remarks about it.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #31
LAHDPOP

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I've been busy. I like the comments. For me, they add a lot to the photo, and the setting.

I didn't say it was your fault.... I said I was going to blame you.

Click Here to see my rp.net photos.

Click Here to see my "personal collection"
LAHDPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:20 AM   #32
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

I rarely if ever click on a photo (unless its truely a winner) if there isn't a caption because I don't know what's going on and can usually tell what kind of locomotive, train, location, etc. it is from the thumbnail so why bother? There has to be something that the photographer can point out or tell about a photo even if it is "idiotic" its better than " ". Should RP add a section in the forum so people can ask for advice solely about what the remarks should read?

Here are some of my examples when I can't think of anything 'intelligent' to say:
Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 143761
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

PhotoID: 130134

PhotoID: 120581

Do I sound like an idiot?...probably...did people read it and look for the things I mentioned?...possibly. LOL

Most of the time I run out of room in the "remarks" section and sometimes comment the photo so people can read it. I have even contacted people to tell them that they should point something out to get more views and wouldn't you know it...the photo has 1000+ views. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't but its good to know what you're looking at.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:16 AM   #33
ccaranna

Well, I started to add remarks BACK into my photos. I will admit, I think there are few that are better with than without.

Most of them are "this train is heading eastbound" or "this train is bound for such and such location". I'm still not sure why anyone uninterested in Ohio railroads and operations would necessarily care which way and where the trains I photographed are headed, but they're in there just in case.

Here's a few that I thought worked better with remarks in the captions. Please look at them. I hope you enjoy them, and I hope they give a little more informational insight, as well as fulfill your daily dose of reading pleasure.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Of the several tunnels on this line, the Moxahala Tunnel is the longest at 1,300 feet and was the last to be completed by the Toledo and Ohio Central RR in 1918. The 1.1% grade on this portion actually crests inside of the tunnel.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

The manual switch in operation at "Dennison". This location is where westbound trains coming off of the Columbus Line Subdivision turn EAST onto the Columbus Subdivision into Yard A. Confused?

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This local, heading away from view, passes over the diamonds at CP Mounds. Named after a nearby ancient burial mound, it is the crossing of the NS Buckeye Line (former PRR) and the CSX Scottslawn Subdivision (former NYC).

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

This area in northwest downtown has seen a renaissance of sorts since Nationwide Arena was constructed in 2000. The former Columbus Union Station (demolished in the mid 70s) was located on the other side of the parking garage in the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.B.
I rarely if ever click on a photo (unless its truely a winner) if there isn't a caption because I don't know what's going on...
Sorry, still haven't gotten to this point, however. The picture still dictates whether or not I'll click on it, and not whether or not there's text below it.

Last edited by ccaranna; 08-07-2006 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling and a typo
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:32 AM   #34
LAHDPOP

"Persecuted Member." LMFAO!

See? Those captions do add to the photos, IMHO. Especially the stuff like the tunnel information, and the CP Mounds stuff. I love crap like that. It lets me in on the history, and/or the current operation of the line. Thanks!

I didn't say it was your fault.... I said I was going to blame you.

Click Here to see my rp.net photos.

Click Here to see my "personal collection"
LAHDPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:22 AM   #35
CG_F45

Chuck, your new captions are great! I especially like the one with the shot of Moxahala Tunnel, very informative.

Andrew- Your captions are great, and I do look for the stuff you mention.

I must say, your captions are a lot better than mine.

My two worst captions.

"These things sounded great" and "An Amtrak Dash 8 sits around..."

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:30 AM   #36
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
Sorry, still haven't gotten to this point, however. The picture still dictates whether or not I'll click on it, and not whether or not there's text below it.
You forgot the rest of the sentence that explains... "and can usually tell what kind of locomotive, train, location, etc. it is from the thumbnail." If its something thats deserving of a view(s) then of course I will whether it has remarks or not. My point was that a BNSF widecab in SoCal without something that stands out is just redundant.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #37
dodi4200

Send a message via Yahoo to dodi4200

IMO remarks are important in all shots.It add alot to it.i saw many shots are great but without remarks that makes me donot feel with the action in them.In all my shots i add remarks to make the other railfans know what is train was doing in the time that the pic was caught.also when i save pics in my personal collection i rename them and write the number of the train and direction of them.
(if you like an idea,thought alot in it and worked hard for it.you will get it)
click here 2 c my pix @ rp.net
dodi4200 is offline   Reply With Quote