Old 10-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
rino54

Default New rejection categories ?

Good evening ?

I was wondering if two new categories could be introduced for screeners to help them to reject some of the pictures. The misuse of Photoshop tools creates really unreal (and sometimes ugly) pictures.

First one would be abuse of saturation tools. Just have a look to these shots :
Image © Matthew Hicks
PhotoID: 253837
Photograph © Matthew Hicks

Image © BurghMan
PhotoID: 254920
Photograph © BurghMan

Second would be abuse of highlight tools. Shadows have to be dark and not light like in some pictures.
Image © John Bowler
PhotoID: 254873
Photograph © John Bowler

Image © Dave Toussaint
PhotoID: 254675
Photograph © Dave Toussaint

What do you think about it ?

Renaud
Old 10-13-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
JRMDC

My views:

Matt's shot: I believe the orange trees are larches, and from personal experience I know their color can be pretty strong. I do find the greens in the shot too strong. However, the core issue is the HDR processing of the shot and it has been discussed elsewhere in that regard.

burghman's: I think it is too saturated, but I have not been to the location in question so ultimately it is only my speculation. I do know that a bit of saturation is popular (there is a reason people loved to shoot Fuji Velvia back in the day!) and seems to be a part of photography these days.

John's: the shot looks fine to me

Dave's: to me, the HDR applied here is waay too strong so I agree with you. If Dave is willing, I would love to see him post a version to the forum with the HDR applied in about half-strength, so we can get a feel for the possible variations. Maybe a new HDR thread?

BTW it is a very nice shot and I favorited it despite the HDR.

In general, HDR and pseudo-HDR processing is relatively new on RP and I think it will be a while before things settle down to more of a standard.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Ween

I think Burghman's looks fine to me. Being a native Pennsylvanian, the fall colors look about right. Also, look at the train itself...nothing looks over saturated on it (but, it's not like you can't use selective saturation these days ).

Dave's HDR shot looks like most HDR shots: fake. Sorry, I'm just not a fan.

I'm still waiting for Matt to post a link or attachment to the unprocessed version of his shot which he can't seem to figure out how to do...

Last edited by Ween; 10-13-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

There's already a rejection reason for saturation, and overdone HDR would fit within the excessive manipulation (or over processed?) category.

I don't have an issue with any of example shots, they all look pretty nice to me...
Old 10-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rino54
Good evening ?

What do you think about it ?
I think the best idea for a new rejection category would be "Wedge Photo." 250,000 photos on this site is enough that the screeners could start really restricting what gets in. Why have quantity when you could have quality; the first criticism that comes up in conversations about RailPictures is always, "But I have to wade through so much crap to find the good stuff." Here's an opportunity to change that.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:42 AM   #6
bigbassloyd

I've been accused of over saturating on my fall shots, but its really that bright down here! I don't feel those linked shots are completely out of bounds

now, if there is a category for "Abuse of the word Photographer".. nail me everytime

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:21 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
I don't have an issue with any of example shots, they all look pretty nice to me...
I second that emotion. I'm itching to get some HDR software.

Joe
Old 10-14-2008, 02:31 AM   #8
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd

now, if there is a category for "Abuse of the word Photographer".. nail me everytime

Loyd L.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryan
I think the best idea for a new rejection category would be "Wedge Photo." 250,000 photos on this site is enough that the screeners could start really restricting what gets in. Why have quantity when you could have quality; the first criticism that comes up in conversations about RailPictures is always, "But I have to wade through so much crap to find the good stuff." Here's an opportunity to change that.
I personally disagree, in my experience its harder for me to get a Wedgie accepted than anything else, so maybe its restricted to some degree. IMHO I think having a ''common angle'' rejection would be unfair to a lot of contributors(pretty much everyone me included). Now if they want to restrict something, I have seen photos accepted just here lately from 2008 with questionable image quality.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:39 AM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
I agree and disagree. My view, maybe I expressed it before, don't remember, is this. RP is a combination of the major leagues and the minor leagues. The minor leagues are the wedgies and the major leagues are the more interesting stuff. The key is that RP gets the minor league players in the game. Then, some fraction of them move up to the major leagues. But without the minor leagues the entire enterprise cannot carry its weight, costwise, and it doesn't happen. Furthermore, without the minor leagues, talent does not develop for the major leagues. It works. RRPA cannot feed the RP major leagues, only the RP minor leagues can. One has to get in the game, and RRPA is not the game, RP is the game.

If you get rid of the minor leagues, the wedgies, the entire thing goes away.

Maybe the screeners could click on a "wedge" category and then those who want to can exclude that category of pictures.

I'm a wedgie avoider but I generally click on at least one every time I do a viewing session. There are always reasons to look at a well-exposed, ordinary shot.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-14-2008, 03:27 AM   #10
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I agree and disagree. My view, maybe I expressed it before, don't remember, is this. RP is a combination of the major leagues and the minor leagues. The minor leagues are the wedgies and the major leagues are the more interesting stuff. The key is that RP gets the minor league players in the game. Then, some fraction of them move up to the major leagues. But without the minor leagues the entire enterprise cannot carry its weight, costwise, and it doesn't happen. Furthermore, without the minor leagues, talent does not develop for the major leagues. It works. RRPA cannot feed the RP major leagues, only the RP minor leagues can. One has to get in the game, and RRPA is not the game, RP is the game.

If you get rid of the minor leagues, the wedgies, the entire thing goes away.

Maybe the screeners could click on a "wedge" category and then those who want to can exclude that category of pictures.

I'm a wedgie avoider but I generally click on at least one every time I do a viewing session. There are always reasons to look at a well-exposed, ordinary shot.
I think this is a well thought out response, but I'd also note more basically that this is "railpictures.net" NOT "artphotos.net". While I too often appreciate the more artistic shots (and strive to make my shots better) there are also many people out there who really want to see the trains - roster shots or tight wedgies - for a variety of reasons. I'm a model railroader also and can see the value in closer, basic shots for modeling purposes. New/interesting/different power - I want to see it. And this is the only place I can go to find a good minimum quality level if I'm looking for something in particular like that so this is where I'd start.

To exclude 'basic wedge shots' would not only exclude many photographers (who may never progress to 'good enough' for the site otherwise) but would also lose a significant constituency of people who want to see train pictures and not "3 points of light" or "tiny train in a river valley" or "rusting railroad paraphernelia" shots. The more "artistic" shots add considerable spice to the site and often attract high views (if done well), but if that was the only thing on here I probably wouldn't have even started contributing. I'm glad I did start and trying to add photos here has really "pushed" my development as a photographer (if I can make that claim!) and now I have a few night shots, glint shots, detail shots, etc. also.

It's pretty quick to skim through the thumbnails and only click on the ones you're interested in so I find it interesting how much people complain about shots, or types of shots they don't personally like.

My 1 cent (was 2 before the market went down)

Michael
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:31 AM   #11
chris crook

The last two points are very fine points indeed, and the best argument not to restrict photos any more than they already are.

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 AM   #12
JRMDC

Michael, I agree. RP wears multiple hats, successfully in my view. Not easy to satisfy multiple constituencies, but it works.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-14-2008, 03:49 AM   #13
Ween

Getting rid of wedgies = getting rid of daily traffic/contributions = more animosity against the site = loss of revenue. Not a smart business decision.

Expanding on what's acceptible = potential to increase daily traffic/contributions = more revenue. But then you sacrifice purity!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #14
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Janusz (and group),

You must understand that I'm a "bomb-thrower" by trade, and I delight in provoking a good discussion - which is exactly what happened here. You are correct in your assertion that railpictures does encourage refinement in some photographer's styles. And you are also correct in asserting that RRPA is not going to be a production factory for good photographers, as there's no onus on "measurable quality" there.

I'm not for the complete ban of wedge shots, but i'd like to see fewer of them. It isn't hard to learn the technical end of photography without resorting to cliche angles.

* disclaimers apply; I take wedge photos.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:05 AM   #15
Freericks
Met Fan

I happen to like wedgies, having thumbed through my Dad's Lucius Beebe books a least a hundred times each when I was a young kid!

I also really like roster shots... as I'm a locomotive guy.

In fact, up until recently, I used to look at the majority of calendar shots and think, "Nice photo, but he didn't really get much detail of the engine from that angle..."

And as much as I do love getting artsy now myself (well, as artsy as I can get... my getting artsy is sort of like Archie Bunker doing a Pas de Deux with Ralph Cramden...) I am much more likely to admire a nicely lit, dead on boring roster shot of an Erie Lackawanna GP35 than I am a good deal of the Screener's Choices! And I'll remember it for a lot longer than some gorgeous, stunning, beautiful shot in which I get to once again play the always fun game of "Find the Train."

Last edited by Freericks; 10-14-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:07 AM   #16
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Janusz (and group),

You must understand that I'm a "bomb-thrower" by trade, and I delight in provoking a good discussion - which is exactly what happened here. You are correct in your assertion that railpictures does encourage refinement in some photographer's styles. And you are also correct in asserting that RRPA is not going to be a production factory for good photographers, as there's no onus on "measurable quality" there.

I'm not for the complete ban of wedge shots, but i'd like to see fewer of them. It isn't hard to learn the technical end of photography without resorting to cliche angles.

* disclaimers apply; I take wedge photos.
Would your "wedgie" ban include avatars??

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:14 AM   #17
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Doesn't everyone want to see more of what they want and less of what they don't?

I think there's a pretty good balance of work here now... here's 7% of what's been uploaded today:

Image © Dave Schauer
PhotoID: 255186
Photograph © Dave Schauer

Image © MrDan
PhotoID: 255183
Photograph © MrDan

Image © edja noezsanto nitijoso
PhotoID: 255175
Photograph © edja noezsanto nitijoso

Image © Craig Williams
PhotoID: 255176
Photograph © Craig Williams

Image © Chris Butts
PhotoID: 255167
Photograph © Chris Butts

Image © William E. Griffin, Jr.
PhotoID: 255161
Photograph © William E. Griffin, Jr.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image © Rail Archive Stephenson
PhotoID: 255109
Photograph © Rail Archive Stephenson

Image © Mike Bjork
PhotoID: 255074
Photograph © Mike Bjork

Image © John Bowler
PhotoID: 255067
Photograph © John Bowler

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 255034
Photograph © Jim Thias

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image © Michael Da Costa
PhotoID: 255017
Photograph © Michael Da Costa

Image © John Ryan
PhotoID: 254981
Photograph © John Ryan

Where else are you going to find that many solid shots covering so many different aspects of train photography? Rosters, newsworthy, artsy, North America, Europe, history, scenery, detail...

Last edited by ottergoose; 10-14-2008 at 04:19 AM.
ottergoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:21 AM   #18
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore
Would your "wedgie" ban include avatars??
:: Points out that an overhead isometric illustration of a locomotive is not a wedige ::

Old 10-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #19
lock4244

So what is the official definition of a wedgie? What exceptions are acceptable? Should there be a more stringent screening of wedgies shot in the west where, honestly, you'd have to be really lazy or new to the area to shoot a wedge given the fantastic, open scenery? You can shoot non-wedgies in the east, but it generally takes more effort than to simply pull over, shoot a fantastic scene, drive off to next awesome vista beside the friggin' road like out west.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here

Last edited by lock4244; 10-14-2008 at 05:37 PM.
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #20
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244
So what is the official definition of a wedgie?
You are bringing up some very ugly Junior High memories for me with that question.

Last edited by Freericks; 10-14-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #21
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks
You are bringing up some very ugly Junior High memories for me with that question.
As I've posted in the past:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bully_wedgie.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	3420  

More Pics Here
Old 10-14-2008, 07:00 PM   #22
JMeade

Getting back to the saturation debate. Some cameras don't capture a rich variation of colors as the higher tier ones. I'm a Canon user and I know for sure that a 5D and 1Dx cameras have a more accurate color composition than a xxD camera. We have the saturate to compensate for that.

I do agree that if a few colors are blown out due to saturation it should be rejected. An easy fix would be to desaturate the colors that are overblown in Photoshop.
JMeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #23
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeade
Getting back to the saturation debate. Some cameras don't capture a rich variation of colors as the higher tier ones. I'm a Canon user and I know for sure that a 5D and 1Dx cameras have a more accurate color composition than a xxD camera. We have the saturate to compensate for that.

I do agree that if a few colors are blown out due to saturation it should be rejected. An easy fix would be to desaturate the colors that are overblown in Photoshop.
Accuracy of and variation in colors and saturation are not the same thing. The saturation level of any image from any camera can be increased or decreased and that can be done overall or by color range. 5D and 1D cameras do not systematically increase saturation compared to other Canon cameras (although, if shooting jpgs, one can change in-camera settings to raise or lower saturation). That is not their advantage.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #24
lock4244

I shoot with a Nikon D200. Typical processing for me includes a bump in the saturation of 5 to 8 in CS3, though I can't recall what the 5 to 8 is a measure of... %? I like to think my shots are close to what the eye sees in terms of colour saturation, though there will always be variances. I don't prefer oversaturated shots, but they seems to please the screeners and the public in general.

More Pics Here
Old 10-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #25
rino54

Hello,

Wow! so many contributions in a day!

Well my message was not against any photographer. I'm going to check about this HDR thread because to my knowledge it's not easy to do moving subject in HDR.

About saturation, I agree about the way some digital cameras are "oversaturating" sont colours like red or orange. And many fall pictures in rp look "too much".

Anyway, thanks for your comments

Renaud