Old 11-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #1
Chris Wilson

Send a message via MSN to Chris Wilson
Default No more cabshots?

We just got our new locomotive the other day and I brought the camera to work. Not the greatest lighting so I went back in the evening for some night shots. Photos are taken with permission, if thats why they are being rejected...

This is also the first locomotive from Savage to be painted into Canac. Kind of neat.

This was rejected for blurry? Looks good, dosen't it?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=408554105

And this...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1209717868

Thanks for your time. We had sunshine for 1 day in 30 north of Lake Superior this past month.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

It is blurry. Try a bit of sharpening, just a bit as on this HD screen I can see some quality loss. The cab shot.....eh? Just a control stand in my opinion, not a cabshot. The chair is cut off and it's too tight. Go wider.

Ben
Old 11-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

I agree with Ben on both points. But here's what I'd suggest. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it sounds like you can control the setting with these shots. Not the camera setting, but the actual setting. Try having the engine parked in a better spot. It's kinda bland, the trees behind don't help and while maybe nit picking, I don't like the scattered weeds in front of the rails.

If you can't control where the engine is parked, control where the car is parked. The shadow of the car and the photographer detracts.

Joe
Old 11-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
Chris Wilson

Send a message via MSN to Chris Wilson

Thanks Guy's understandable..

For now the 8701 will be there until we get some antifreeze and fuel in here. In addition, the beltpack has to be reprogrammed, and a radio installed! I did spot a SW1200RS about 20 feet infront. Just waiting for the friggen sun to show itself!

I do have some other cabshots, and will play with them. Thanks for the advice on the nightshots. I bought a Rebel Xsi and am still learning.

Thanks Again and will play around some more!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
GMEMD

8701 just came from NRE in Capreol, ON, where it was repaired and repainted. I think it was originaly a GP7, but I never got to see the cab card so I'm not sure.
GMEMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
TheRoadForeman
Banned

U.S. Railroaders need to be careful about bringing their cameras to work with them since FRA Emergency Order 26 is in effect. This forbids electronic devices used inside the cab except for company issued electronic equipment. Under no circumstances may an engineer use such equipment while he/she is in the cab. We railroaders in the U.S. need to be careful what we are posting since this E.O. came in effect.

-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
khalucha

I have a stupid question and not trying to start a pissing match here but what is considered an "electronic device?" It is such a broad term that you can consider a watch that you are wearing and electronic device since it is battery powered.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha
I have a stupid question and not trying to start a pissing match here but what is considered an "electronic device?" It is such a broad term that you can consider a watch that you are wearing and electronic device since it is battery powered.
A watch is an exception to tell time with, bringing such electronic devices to work as a video camera or a P&S/DSLR camera can distract you from doing your job as in calling out signals, slowing down for temporary and permanent slow orders and whistling for public crossings at grade.

CN Conductor

Click here to view my pictures on RP.net
trainmaster_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
khalucha

OK. I am not in that field of work so I have no clue. I have seen before though that someone will say something like that and not look at the whole picture as to what is considered that. I had that at work and then they turned around and specified as to what exactly they were looking for.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
Old 11-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
TheRoadForeman
Banned

The FRA does state all things that they consider Personal Electronic Devices in the Emergency Order. It is very broad and does not leave much room for interpretation. I did however, mess with an employee and tell him that he could not wear a hearing aid!! He was not that amused when I did finally tell him the truth!

-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #11
khalucha

That is what I was thinking originally, if someone had hearing aids it could be and issue.

Thanks,

Kevin

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff