Old 05-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default Who is this guy?

My computer started coughing and choling when it was loaded his favorited photos page. No photos of his own in the database and nothing in his profile. Just a heck of a lot of our photos in his favorites.

http://www.railpictures.net/members/...e.php?id=24231
Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
JRMDC

What issue are you raising?

It is common that people without shots on the database do favorites. All five of the favorites on my last shots are people without uploads here. Perhaps he is just a person who enjoys looking at shots and likes to give recognition to a lot of them, but doesn't shoot himself.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

You're possibly riht. Probably right, even. It just seems odd that he wouldn't even add a few lines in his profile. I know we've had people "borrow" shots\, then put them on Flickr and imply that they shot them. Addmittedly it seems stupid to think that someone would favorite them here and then steal them.

I do wish we could track folks who favorite our shots. Meaning there'd be someway I see how many of my shots one guy favorites without actually having to go through them one by one.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Marking a favorite makes it easy to go back and find a photo or a spot you may want to make plans to see or shoot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
Marking a favorite makes it easy to go back and find a photo or a spot you may want to make plans to see or shoot.
That's what I do. Or to remind me of the spot in the first place.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 AM   #6
ExNavyDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
My computer started coughing and choling when it was loaded his favorited photos page. No photos of his own in the database and nothing in his profile. Just a heck of a lot of our photos in his favorites.

I think this guy (and a couple of others) must "favorite" virtually every photo in the D.B.

His profile had over 8000 items to load, 99.99% are the thumbnails of his "favorites".

Personally, I think there ought to be an upper limit to the number of favorites. Even 500 would be better than 8000+. That's just a ridiculous number.

Mike

My RP.net Photos Here

My Smugmug Galleries Here

Last edited by ExNavyDoc; 05-14-2009 at 06:10 PM.
ExNavyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:32 AM   #7
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNavyDoc View Post
I think this guy (and a couple of others) must "favorite" virtually every photo in the D.B.

His profile had over 8000 items to load, 99.99 are the thumbnails of his "favorites".

Personally, I think there ought to be an upper limit to the number of favorites. Even 500 would be better than 8000+. That's just a ridiculous number.
No limits, I just think the page should load 15 at a time like the other photo pages on the site.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #8
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

I nominate Travis for having the best list of favorites ...
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
Bryan Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post

Whoever it is, he favorited every photo I have submitted this week and left a "great shot" comment on all of them I think. Sounds like another Vic.Louie or David Nutter, mark every photo as favorite, leave the same comment on each and submit nothing to the site. It should be required that you upload photos to the site before being able to leave comments or mark photos as favorites.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
Bryan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:03 AM   #10
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Favorting thousands of photos kind of makes favorting pointless doesn't it? I agree with Travis, it would be nice to have a set amount of thumbnails load up per page instead of all of them at once.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Indeed, 15 per page would make it a lot easier to load. I agree with Bryan in that you should submit some photos before having the right to leave comments. I'd probably allow the favorites though, as new photographers to RP.net may be looking for certain locations, etc. to shoot in the future.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #12
Doug Wolfe

I think a few of them are younger rail fans. Another person with a lot of favorites has some shots on another site and he is clearly a high school student at best.
Doug Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

I have a lot of favorites, but it is usually from browsing shots. Ive seen this ''kid'' on a few of my shots, he seems to be one of the many who favorites everything that gets uploaded everyday.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #14
UCRP93

I know the most common individual who favorites just about every photo on the website is David Nutter. I've learned to respect him though. He is deaf, but still attempts to railfan (using video; screen name is 'FlyBikes089' on YouTube). He cannot type coherently, but at least he is trying.

As for the rest, such as "sd40kid, Vic. Louie, MetroLinkKid874, CM Persky and Matej0", I couldn't begin to fathom who they could be. I'm sure that these are all youth from YouTube or some such site, so I wouldn't be too worried about them "stealing" photos. And as explained, David Nutter is pretty innocent; I'm sure he's favoriting photos just for the sake of favoriting them, and nothing else.

Click here to see my photos on RailPictures.net
Click here to see my videos on YouTube

One of very few people that like CSX and GE both!!

UCRP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
SCFrankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Jones View Post
It should be required that you upload photos to the site before being able to leave comments or mark photos as favorites.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
I disagree. Some people are gold mines of information, but not great photographers. I have seen quite a few photos where a poster comments adding a great deal of information to the photo and/or scene. I know this website is not big on the technical side of railroading (such as locomotive history), but that doesn't mean those of us who do like that kind of thing should be left out.

Of course I have no room to talk since I do have a single photo on the database. Sure, it is unlevel, poorly lit, and doesn't feature a train but I am damn proud of it.
SCFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #16
Joe the Photog

I don't agree either that a person has to have shots in the database in order to post comments or favorite shots. That seems just a tad snobbish to me. I do think the favorites should be limited to 15 a page and it woujld be nice to be able to search your own favorites to see who favorites your shots the most.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #17
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Perhaps they could do something along the lines of what they do with the non-elite members here on RP. Allow 10 comments and 10 favorites each day per member?

Chase
Old 05-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #18
matth

A filter to ignore repetitive "favoriters" would be nice. There are three guys who favorite every shot I post. I don't want to prohibit them from favoriting shots, but I would like to be able to filter them out so that I can easily tell if anyone new has favorited one of my shots. Daily limits on numbers of comments and favorites would help too - great idea Chase! Some of these guys seem to want to favorite the whole database. What's the point?

RP.net Photos
Google Map Site
matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #19
Joe the Photog

If you limit the number of times people can comment or favorite though, you're not hurting them; yiou're hurting the folks whose pictures they comment or favorite. I just want some way of keeping track of who favorites and how many times. I'd also like it if you had to give at least some information in the profile about yourself before you can comment or favorite.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 AM   #20
matth

Joe I see your point, but the reasonable railfans from whom I would desire favorites/comments wouldn't violate the limits, say 10-20 per day. As for these other guys, I could care less if they ever favorite or comment on any of my shots again. Due to the shear volumes involved, their "accolades" are worthless. And its creating problems on the website (such as attempting to view profiles filled with hundreds/thousands of favorites). I think we're all in agreement that something needs to be done.

RP.net Photos
Google Map Site
matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #21
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by matth View Post
Due to the shear volumes involved, their "accolades" are worthless. And its creating problems on the website (such as attempting to view profiles filled with hundreds/thousands of favorites).
Given the first sentence, why does anyone care about the second sentence? Why is anyone viewing the profiles of these individuals providing worthless accolades?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-18-2009, 03:04 AM   #22
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

I defintiely thinking limiting the amount of photos commented/favorited each day would be a good idea. 10-20 sounds logical to me, and if they want to comment/favorite more than the daily limit, they could always get an elite membership, which would also help pay back for all the space they're using on their profiles.

My 0.2
Chase
Old 05-18-2009, 03:21 AM   #23
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Why does it matter how many comments or favorites can be made in a day? That is the same as saying you can only post two post in the forum each day. Not everyone can come on here everyday, so what do you do with the person that scans a weeks worth of new uploads and is only able to favorite X amount of shots. Getting your photo favorited or a comment does not hurt you in any way. Block certain favoritors? Why? You know 3 people that favorite ever photo you have, do the math in your head. The only problem here is slow loading photographer profile pages in which 10 favorites a day will not change after 6 months. Yea, that is 1800 favorites.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:21 AM   #24
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
which would also help pay back for all the space they're using on their profiles.
Well, first of all, I seem to have a sickness, I just can't stop commenting on this thread.

It is almost certainly the case that a separate set of thumbnails are not being stored for each profile, rather, the profile part of the database stores IDs only and the page is generated dynamically when requested.

So if someone has 1000 favorites, the system probably stores 1000x6=6000 digits, call it 6000 bytes, 6 KB, 0.006 MB, call it waaaay, waaaaay, waaaaaay short of being something like "all the space they're using".

I guess I just don't understand the concern or perhaps even the passion in the thread. But then, I don't get many favorites, so I don't much care about their individual validity or meaningfullness.

And no, it isn't because I have few favorites that I want to hang on to the few I get.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-18-2009, 05:34 AM   #25
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
So if someone has 1000 favorites, the system probably stores 1000x6=6000 digits, call it 6000 bytes, 6 KB, 0.006 MB, call it waaaay, waaaaay, waaaaaay short of being something like "all the space they're using".
Hmm, when you put it that way, it doesn't really seem like they're using up much space at all. I just figured (due to the pages taking so long to load) that they were using a decent amount of space, although I seem to be wrong. Perhaps I should keep my mouth shut until I get my facts straight.

Chase