Old 05-20-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
JRMDC

Default Hey Joe, where are you going with that camera in your hand?

Did we see an earlier take on this shot here in the forum a year ago or so?

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
nikos1

In B&W if i remember right. I always liked how it looked in color better than B&W after i saw it on RRPA.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

Good memory, J. (Although it's ony been a few months.) I just couldn't find the right processing on it back then. Then, I was still using PSE 2.0. Upgraded to 7.0 and now I'm going through a lot of old pictures and seeing what I can do different. Time away from the shot also helped me realize I had been editting the wrong version. A frame a few seconds later had better light and put more emphasis on the train rather than the house. I had also wrongly thought a B&W version was the way to go. I'm much appreciative of the views it got. It blew away several other shots I loaded today. Still not exactly sure why.

Previous version --

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1527555

B&W --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joethephotog/3428334668/
Old 05-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Good memory, J. (Although it's ony been a few months.) I just couldn't find the right processing on it back then. Then, I was still using PSE 2.0. Upgraded to 7.0 and now I'm going through a lot of old pictures and seeing what I can do different.
I'd love to hear what you are doing in 7 that you were not doing in 2. Maybe it is time to upgrade my PSE 3.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Joe the Photog

I probably cannot explain it good at 2:35 a.m. I might not be able to explain it in eight or nine hours. But we'll see then.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Wizzo

Nice location Joe - I liked the earlier shot we discussed here, good to see this one get in.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

I'd suggest anyone upgrade to 7.0 esp. from an older version. 2.0 would not read RAW files, so that was a major drawback. I used DPP to open them up, do some slight editting and then convert. I got to where I really liked DPP, too. First, it would open the files up as the camera "saw" them. Meaning if you took the shot in B&W with a green filter put on in camera, that's the way it opened them. (Obviously, once open you could revert to color, red filter, etc. etc.)

But I missed this the first few times I used 7.0. Now I think DPP may have been holding me back. Consider the CPDR shot --

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Open it side by side with the RRPA version --

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1527555

Big difference, almost embarrassingly so. The colors are off in te RRPA shot and that can't all be blamed on 2.0. The shot was a tad over exposed when I took it on account of what I call sunny cloudy conditions. A poke of sun woujld come out and then go right back in. One shot from this series was horribly over exposed and another way dark. The train was going slow though, so I was able to change settings as he rolled toward me.

So 7.0 let me work on the "recovery" and "fill light" which with some tweaking brought out detail in the ballast not there, or not seen, inn the RRPA version. The "clarity" and "vibrance" sliders are a good tool, but after that, most of what I did was justto edit it as I would any other shot. I wasn't going down a check list saying this is what I did then, so I'll do this instead. The colors came out better and I know I adjusted the white balance some.

This is going to be my shot that I point to when others ask if shooting in RAW really helps. This shot, while not perfect by any stretch, went from being rejected to being on the front page as one of the Tops of 24. I don't really think I got that much better at post which, frankly, is one of my main weaknesses in photography.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
JRMDC

thanks for the description, Joe.

PSE 3 does read raw. It doesn't have clarity and vibrance sliders, nor does it have anything called recovery or fill light (just shadows/highlights). But I am doing OK with it (especially with a free 3rd party plug-in to do channel mixing) and I will stick with it for now.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
SCFrankie

Joe,

I have the same problem with my photos of the CPDR, they just happen to run at the worst possible time of day when the sun is in a horrible spot. All northbound shots are going to be against the sun, which (at least in my photos, and apparently yours as well) causes overexposure and poor lighting. The editing your have done is a dramatic difference from the RRPA version. You can't even tell that there was ever an issue.

FYI, the annual freedom weekend aloft is coming up in Simpsonville and Fountain Inn, which means you can shoot the CPDR with colorful hot air balloons in the background. The only problem of course is they rarely run on the weekends (aside from GE specials). The event begins this Friday, so there may be a window there for both northbound and southbound trains.. I will certainly be out there, depending on the weather of course..
SCFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 AM   #10
WembYard

Joe, I am toying with the idea of upgrading to PSE 7 from version 5 - do you have any idea 7 if will open RAW files from a Canon G10? The Adobe website is not very forthcoming on the matter.

I do like that that shot by the way, the red locos and blue house add a nice splash of colour to the picture.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard View Post
Joe, I am toying with the idea of upgrading to PSE 7 from version 5 - do you have any idea 7 if will open RAW files from a Canon G10? The Adobe website is not very forthcoming on the matter.

I do like that that shot by the way, the red locos and blue house add a nice splash of colour to the picture.
Looks like ACR 5.2 works on PSE 7 and supports the G10.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4220

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 05-22-2009, 02:58 AM   #12
WembYard

Thanks Janusz. I spent ages looking for a list of supported cameras and didn't realise that there were some other downloads
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote