Old 10-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
CSX1702

Default Got my New Camera Today

I just purchased a Nikon D3300. An upgrade from the D3100 I had. This will be an increase from 14.2 to 24.2 mp.

Also comes with 2 lenses and a bag and some new features (I was just introduced to a locking lens ). I will be riding on the Smoky Mountains photo special on November 5th and hope to get some good pics. I also hope to get out and practice my photography more and get more involved in it. Probably will not upload here much, if at all as I now see why most all of you have been singing Flickr's praises lately.

This is pretty exciting for me...The camera, not necessarily the loss of $600. I hope to improve on my skills and gain new ones!

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:14 AM   #2
CSX1702

Rode the photo special today. It ended up being an 8 hour ride, traveling the entire length of track that GSMR uses today (Dillsboro to Nantahala) and back. It was interesting to try to learn my new camera "on the fly." I certainly could've taken better pictures but all in all I had a great day of enjoying my favorite locomotive.

Here is my best shot from the trip:

Run-by at Fontana Lake

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 11-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
Grewup on the CW

Nice Shot! And in a location I've not seen on RP. Just a tip (for RP's sake) if this was on the sunny side it would be a sure bet for RP. Too bad there wasn't a spot on the sunny side. I'd even say it might pass now being that it is a steamer but that is just a maybe as they like the sunny side. On the other hand I got the 3300 and lens/package as well and it was a big step up from my previous camera. I've had it for 6 months now and it has been well worth the money or as I say, the investment. I'm still learning its capabilities but you just cant beat the 24 mega pixel.

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 11-17-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #4
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Nice Shot! And in a location I've not seen on RP. Just a tip (for RP's sake) if this was on the sunny side it would be a sure bet for RP. Too bad there wasn't a spot on the sunny side. I'd even say it might pass now being that it is a steamer but that is just a maybe as they like the sunny side. On the other hand I got the 3300 and lens/package as well and it was a big step up from my previous camera. I've had it for 6 months now and it has been well worth the money or as I say, the investment. I'm still learning its capabilities but you just cant beat the 24 mega pixel.
Thank you! RP rejected it for being backlit and I fully understand. One person was allowed on the other side of the tracks and it was a Trains magazine photographer. This was my first trip with the 3300 and I can't wait to get it out some more!

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 12-11-2016, 12:19 AM   #5
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Thank you! RP rejected it for being backlit and I fully understand. One person was allowed on the other side of the tracks and it was a Trains magazine photographer. This was my first trip with the 3300 and I can't wait to get it out some more!
Interesting. I wonder, was that because there was no room on the other side of the tracks? I am scratching my head as to why any charter operator worth his/her salt would stage a run-by in a location where there was almost no part of the train with front-lighting. On charters, some people do ELECT to shoot from the dark side (typically with the loco nose lit), but the primary shot is virtually always the bright side, unless the operator is going for some sort of artistic effect.

Was this trip led by a photographer? Usually the goal of a photo charter is to have the participants take home the best possible images....at least if they want repeat business.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:55 AM   #6
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Interesting. I wonder, was that because there was no room on the other side of the tracks? I am scratching my head as to why any charter operator worth his/her salt would stage a run-by in a location where there was almost no part of the train with front-lighting. On charters, some people do ELECT to shoot from the dark side (typically with the loco nose lit), but the primary shot is virtually always the bright side, unless the operator is going for some sort of artistic effect.

Was this trip led by a photographer? Usually the goal of a photo charter is to have the participants take home the best possible images....at least if they want repeat business.
Kevin, as far as I could tell there wasn't much room on the other side. And if they did let more than Ms. Boggs over there, then we all would've been clamoring to. It isn't as cleared off as the other side. My suggestion would be to wait till the afternoon to do a run-by here. The only problem is, the trestle is downhill with the engine on a run up the Gorge. So really unless they wanna ride the brakes, it's just a whistle/ smoke run-by.

The next run-by was the better one. I couldn't get a good spot in line, so I decided to take video and it was certainly worth it. A more up-hill location, and the engineer and fireman switched right before it. I know the engineer for this one was Kurt Newman and he definitely doesn't mind letting her sing. I believe the fireman may be Buddy Hooper, who was the engineer on the first run-by.

1702 Run-by

I am happy with what I got here for being on the wrong side. There are some fantastic photos that came from this charter, but most were from chasers.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 12-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
Grewup on the CW

Thanks for sharing the video, too bad RP's video site doesn't let you upload anymore. (HINT HINT RP)
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW View Post
Thanks for sharing the video, too bad RP's video site doesn't let you upload anymore. (HINT HINT RP)
Did they shut it down? I don't recall hearing anything about that.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Did they shut it down? I don't recall hearing anything about that.
Dead and forgotten.

Loyd L.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:58 AM   #10
CSX1702

Rail-vids never really did take off. No real need for a site like that with Youtube out there. RP still wins for photos. For not at least

Flickr

Out Of Place Album