Old 03-07-2007, 03:23 AM   #1
Ween

Default Nikon D40X

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond40x/

10.2 megapixels, $799 with lens. Nikon takes a swipe at Canon's XTi. That price is pretty sweet for such a capable camera. Keep the competition going and we all benefit!! Can't wait to see Canon's next move!
Old 03-08-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
jb17kx

Hmm... Somebody jumped the gun with the D40 they bought not 3 months ago...
jb17kx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Ween

That's the 'problem,' if you can even call it that. With all this competition in the 'entry' level dSLR, the rush is on to pack more and more in these dSLRs while the prices keep coming down. Either way, the 'old and outdated' models are still great products and produce great images.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
Mark Rosnick

Talking Already outdated

The real problem is technology is moving so fast, that I'm sure Nikon is already working on the D40X's replacement. Back in the day, Nikon had the good old F. Started production in the early '60's, ended production @1971. Then the F2 from '71 to '80. F3 from '80 to just recent. Canon was the same way, the F1 was around @10 years before the New F1 came out in '81. Computers have changed everything. I agree though that you still can get nice images out of "older" digital cameras. I have a D70, and thought of upgrading to a D80, but I'd have to switch from CF cards to SD cards, and I already own 5 cards ranging from 256mb to 2gig. So I'll keep on shooting with my "outdated"dinosaur.(At least in computer terms)
Mark Rosnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Mike B.
Banned

Why wouldn't you spend the extra $200 a get a D80?
Only one control dial and no status LCD are what would bother me the most.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Why wouldn't you spend the extra $200 a get a D80?
Only one control dial and no status LCD are what would bother me the most.
While I can't speak for Ween, I think a major problem for most people would be the extra $200.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #7
Mike B.
Banned

If I understand it correctly, Ween got the D40 which is $600 rather than $800 for the D40X. $400 is quite a bit of money and the D40 is good way to save some money while still getting a good camera. But for only $200 it would be worth the extra money to get the better camera, in my opinion.
I am rather biased though as I own a D80 and absolutely love it.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:47 AM   #8
Ween

Fools! C'mon, you guys know I'm a Canon guy (XT specifically). I could care less about the D40/D80 differences; the point of my post is that we as the buyers are going to benefit from the competition that's going on in the dDSLR market among the manufacturers (Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony/Olympus) all trying to out-do the other by packing more features/megapixels/bells & whistles into their new cameras while the list prices continue to drop.

I don't know what a used XT is going for, but it's certainly alot lower than I paid when I got mine new because there are so many other choices out there that offer as much or more than it does. Even so, it still produces excellent images...who cares if it's new?

Competition is good. The manufacturers can't sit on their laurels or they'll be left behind This competition forces them to keep upping the ante with each new offering, and that's good for us, the buyers...
Old 03-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #9
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Fools! C'mon, you guys know I'm a Canon guy (XT specifically). I could care less about the D40/D80 differences; the point of my post is that we as the buyers are going to benefit from the competition that's going on in the dDSLR market among the manufacturers (Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony/Olympus) all trying to out-do the other by packing more features/megapixels/bells & whistles into their new cameras while the list prices continue to drop.

I don't know what a used XT is going for, but it's certainly alot lower than I paid when I got mine new because there are so many other choices out there that offer as much or more than it does. Even so, it still produces excellent images...who cares if it's new?

Competition is good. The manufacturers can't sit on their laurels or they'll be left behind This competition forces them to keep upping the ante with each new offering, and that's good for us, the buyers...
As a consumer, competition is the best thing one can hope for and it is especially true in an industry such as cameras. With digital cameras having such a short production life, it's essential to buy what you're happy with. If it's at all possible, don't settle for something you really don't want very much. As long as you buy what you wanted and you are happy with the results, it won't matter what the new cameras have. If you aren't very happy with your camera you'll keep wanting to trade it in and as new cameras constantly come out, it won't be easy to keep it in your bag. If you're the type of person who has to have the latest and greatest, you are going to be spending a lot of money on camera equipment that you don't need (most likely).
So basically get what you'll be happy with even when newer cameras come out.
There is one draw back however to all this competition. With the majority of consumers still under the belief that the more MP a camera has, the better it is, manufacturers are forced to keep upping the MP count while other improvements suffer. For the most part though, we all benefit from it.

Last edited by Mike B.; 03-09-2007 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #10
jb17kx

That's a good point Mike makes. Hell, I'm happy with the D40. It works, and it works well. I'd rather keep the money and put it to something like the new AF-S DX VR 55-200mm f4-5.6G IF-ED or whatever they call it. Really, there's no difference between 2.5 and 3 fps, and the extra 3.8mpx is just 800 extra horizontal pixels. Nice, but I'd probably set it back to 6 so that it didn't eat cards in 300-odd shots.

Think of it this way:
I have a D40 now. I don't have a D40X now. The D40 is therefore much better than the D40X.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb17kx
That's a good point Mike makes. Hell, I'm happy with the D40. It works, and it works well. I'd rather keep the money and ...
Yes, very important point. For me, I would have been quite happy with moving a Rebel XT from a Rebel (I needed a faster buffer), except the small grip was just too much and I had to spend up to get the 20D, at the cost of $200 or so that could have gone toward part of an additional lens.

The XT is more than enough camera for me, much less the XTi, or Nikon equivalent, or whatever. I don't see anything coming down the pike to induce me to upgrade. Even looking at all the cool technology on the recently introduced 1D mIII, which sooner or later will filter down into the cheaper bodies, I don't need any of it, and if I buy into a body with it I won't have the money for the 10-22 I want or any other more important goodies. (Maybe, someday, a long time from now, the 17-55 IS?)

Good times, technology-wise.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #12
Ween

Quote:
I don't see anything coming down the pike to induce me to upgrade.
I'm anticipating spot metering and full-frame sensors to come to the dSLR market at an affordable price sometime down the road...that would entice me, perhaps. That's why any future lens investments are going to film/digital lenses (i.e. not EF-S which are 'digital only' and wouldn't work on full-frame sensors like the 5D). I was kinda surprised that the Mk III has a 1.5 cropping factor; maybe that's the way the market's gonna stay, so who knows?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:21 AM   #13
jb17kx

The D40 offers spot and centre-weighted metering now. Full frame, not yet.
The question of whether full-frame will catch on for all DSLRs is interesting to examine, though.

Nikon also has a lens range based around 1.5x sensors, the DX Nikkor range. They've gone even further and manufactured most of the new DX lenses for the AF-S (internal motor) mount. DX lenses are shipped with all new D-series bodies, and the D40 and D40X have no body AF motor and so can only use AF-S and AF-I lenses.

Oh, I don't know. If I can ever afford a full-frame device, or if they come down in price, then I can probably afford new glass. And I'll cope with black edges and all that untill I get new stuff. I'm no stranger to changing systems, I went from Canon FD to Nikkor AF-S...