Old 11-17-2020, 11:16 PM   #1
vcode455

Default Partial roster shot

OK, I like Tom and what he posts, but a 90% roster shot? Does the rarity overshadow the fact that both ends are cut off?

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/754436/
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:08 AM   #2
J-M Frybourg

This is obviously something that would (rightfully) never be accepted if it were showing an engine from any other country in the world.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:50 AM   #3
miningcamper3

I looked elsewhere for shots of that particular engine. They are super, super rare! I found just 2 that were good enough to enlarge and save. I assume it got in because 90% is better than nothing!
miningcamper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
RobJor

Big fan of Tom and Milwaukee, Tom a former Milwaukee man, I was short timer I don't believe this is the image he took. My Speculation is that it was cropped to eliminate the front and rear coupling. If that is the case the cure is worse than the disease???

Bob

P.S. as an aside the the sky is something I cant understand for a 1981 slide, some type of damage or a print?? My second most viewed submit was rejected due to spots in the sky. Afraid to do more cleaning I spent forever getting rid of every last spot
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
KevinM

Perhaps Tom will join us and explain why the image is framed this way. One possible explanation is that the lens he had wasn't wide enough and he had his back against some immovable object, like a wall or a fence. Even in that situation, I would probably avoid shooting broadside and step to the right to make it work. Not knowing a thing about the "rules" for roster shots, that's what I'd do. I've never liked the super-tight roster look that seems to be so popular here. Even if I am shooting a "here's a locomotive" shot, I want a little space. If it is coupled to something, I would cut off as much of the front-coupled machine as possible, but still leave a bit of the trailing unit.

This could also be a case of an image that wasn't level, or had something really distracting near the edge, and when the work was done to make it "fit" the RP mold, the cure was indeed worse than the disease. Hey, I can see it in the data base if it is extremely rare and this is all the documentation that exists of a machine that has long since become razor blades.

I am thinking that it was accepted because the RP Admins/Screeners trust Tom's judgment with regard to merit. I think they place similar trust in some other contributors as well. With regard to Jean-Marc's opinion about whether or not a similar image from a non-US source would have also been accepted, I don't think he is wrong. In the end, RP is a business and the folks who control the content have to make a call with regard to whether or not they think a given image will "sell" with a primarily US audience and primarily US advertisers. Unfortunately, business decisions virtually always make someone angry. After 40 years seeing business up close and personal, it's just become a fact of life from my perspective.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:07 AM   #6
J-M Frybourg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
With regard to Jean-Marc's opinion about whether or not a similar image from a non-US source would have also been accepted, I don't think he is wrong. In the end, RP is a business and the folks who control the content have to make a call with regard to whether or not they think a given image will "sell" with a primarily US audience and primarily US advertisers. Unfortunately, business decisions virtually always make someone angry. After 40 years seeing business up close and personal, it's just become a fact of life from my perspective.
While I may somewhat agree with this, then Railpictures' claim that they show "the BEST railroad photos on the net", besides being unsubstantiated advertising, is a lie. RP could perhaps pretend with some credibility being the best "on the net" (meaning anywhere in the World) if RP were fully fair, and treat equally all contributions from anywhere. If this is an American enterprise, and a business biased one, then the reality is closer to "some of the best railroad photos on the American net".