Old 07-31-2008, 04:33 AM   #1
Somebody in the WWW

Default Policy on trucks/bogies being cut off?

I had this shot rejected for "Part of Subject Cut Off/Missing". Of course it could have been rejected for other reasons too (damn low light).
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=555186&key=0

Rejected again on appeal when I tried to use the reasoning that the point of the shot is not to show close-up detail on the bogies (trucks) as it is a picture of a train going over a viaduct.

Does RailPictures not like any shots with the bogies hidden? I have had shots taken at station platforms with the bogies hidden by the platform accepted, but if shots of trains going over bridges are rejected for not showing the bogies that rules out photographing at most rail over-bridges in Australia
Somebody in the WWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
JBCagle7073
Alpha Phi Psi

Send a message via AIM to JBCagle7073

There is no real policy in writing around here. The rule of thumb seems to be that if the picture works in the eye of the screener then its accepted or held for further review. I would say they could also say that it is bad cropping since the weight seems to be towards the right and the bridge seems to cut right across the center of the screen. With a little different positioning it could be a shot with a chance. I personally don't care for the tree on the right side of the frame but that's personal preference.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody in the WWW
I had this shot rejected for "Part of Subject Cut Off/Missing". Of course it could have been rejected for other reasons too (damn low light).
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=555186&key=0

Rejected again on appeal when I tried to use the reasoning that the point of the shot is not to show close-up detail on the bogies (trucks) as it is a picture of a train going over a viaduct.

Does RailPictures not like any shots with the bogies hidden? I have had shots taken at station platforms with the bogies hidden by the platform accepted, but if shots of trains going over bridges are rejected for not showing the bogies that rules out photographing at most rail over-bridges in Australia
After getting a local girder bridge accepted:
Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

I would tend to think that you've got to give something more than part of the bridge, and part of the train. The majority of obstructing bridges I've seen on RP, showcase most / all of the bridge, and some scenery. I would try to get the entire bridge in frame, get some elevation, or both.

Good luck!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:57 AM   #4
Lee Baxter

No idear Oscar, but this lot are in the DB, as you know! Could have something to do with the lead locos or the shadow, the low light looks fine to me, one of the best times to shoot in. sorry i cant help more.
Image © Brooke Baxter
PhotoID: 206543
Photograph © Brooke Baxter

Image © Brooke Baxter
PhotoID: 240646

Image © Brooke Baxter
PhotoID: 189657

Image © Brooke Baxter
PhotoID: 188963

Image © Trevor Harris
PhotoID: 154994
Photograph © Trevor Harris

Image © Trevor Harris
PhotoID: 154863

Image © Trevor Harris
PhotoID: 154831

of interest are the ones of similar composition to yours.
Regards Lee
Lee Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 AM   #5
nikos1

I think it will get accepted with some CW rotation and some more space in front of the engine.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Somebody in the WWW

Tried another image I took there, also rejected for the same issue.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...5&key=84951677

I don't really care about getting any of those shots accepted as was only a visit to test the spot & I can go back easily enough in the future. How should I compose such a shot in the future? I was thinking (apart from bringing a better lens!) to get a wider shot with less of the train.

At least I got one shot accepted today - a boring wedgie of an electric set. Yay for me
Old 07-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
JimThias

So which is it...subject cut off or obstructing foreground object? Are those rejections from two different screeners?

To me, it's no different from the three pictures by Trevor that Lee posted above. But those were in 2006, so it's safe to say they've decided not to accept photos on bridges like that any more.

Last edited by JimThias; 07-31-2008 at 12:28 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

I don't need to see other shots in the database to know that Somebody's shot does not work. Here's why. Too much bridge and train. It's a glorified side angle roster shot. There's nothing else to look at in the shot except for an ugly shot, which Somebody can't help, of course, and a train, which he can help by not taking such a close-up shot. I don't know if there is any way to compose this better since it *looks* like where you;re standing is not far from the bridge and you can't pull back any. It also looks like if you could pull back, there's no real scenery to sepak of there. This may not be a good spot to get an RP shot.

Joe
Old 07-31-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
Darryl Rule

It looks like RP still accepts shots with the bodies or wheels cut off as of this morning:

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 244749
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

P.S. Joe, love your quote at the bottom of your posts. One of the greatest moments in movie history.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Rule
P.S. Joe, love your quote at the bottom of your posts. One of the greatest moments in movie history.
I definetly agree with you there. I watched it again the other night and that whole speech by James Earl Jones is incredible, like you said, one of the best moments in movie history. Not sure my wife gets into the whole "Field Of Dreams" thing as much as I do. But that scene where Ray asks his father if he wants to play catch kills me every team.

Now that that's out of the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Rule
It looks like RP still accepts shots with the bodies or wheels cut off as of this morning:

Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 244749
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
The difference between Andrew's shot and Somebody's shot is simple -- scenery. There is more to look at in AB(2)'s shot than just the train. He also took it from further back which makes the train less the center of attention than Somebody's.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of Andrew's shot. I think too much of the train is cut off, but on the other hand, "the Reading" goes a long way in making the shot, too.

Just my opinion, of course.

Does remind me of one of my appeals to a shot rejected for "foreground clutter." I replied, "that's not foreground clutter, that's a railroad bridge."

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Joe
Old 07-31-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
Darryl Rule

Joe, I totally agree, I wasn't so much comparing AB(2)'s shot to the one in the post, I guess I was just pointing out that, done correctly, shots with wheels cut off can still get in. I had a shot rejected a month or so ago of a BNSF unit posed on the turntable in Birmingham rejected for foreground clutter, but since it was on a turntable, I thought it might get in. I guessed wrong apparently.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
willig

I'm pretty sure there's no hard and fast rule about cutting off bogies. It's simply about what works and what else is in the shot to make it interesting. These shots are all of pretty uninteresting Metrolink trams and they've all got the bogies masked, but I think there is more in the shot to take in.
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 232618
Photograph © Graham Williams
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 235658
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 234745
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 232644
Image © Graham Williams
PhotoID: 235147

Or maybe I was just lucky?

Last edited by willig; 07-31-2008 at 04:02 PM.
willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
Somebody in the WWW

Seems that I am destined for bad luck (photography wise) in the vicinity of this area. Revisited it recently, and I can't even get a basic wedgie accepted without it being dinged for something new: Bad Color.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=577044&key=0 (First attempt)
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=577049&key=0 (Second attempt)

Is this a result of poor post-processing on my behalf, or the lighting at the time?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody in the WWW
Is this a result of poor post-processing on my behalf, or the lighting at the time?
Looks oversaturated in the red channel. Compare to this shot which seems to have also been taken at a time when the sun was low.
Image © Trevor Harris
PhotoID: 251067

As for the lighting at the time, that is of course your call. The browns in the foliage also suggests that something is off, but it is really up to you to tell us.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
Switched out

Looks to be a little under exposed to me have a go at adjusting the exposure a little I don't think it needs much and if your editing program will allow try and lighten the shadows a little. Speaking of shadows it might get pinged for distracting shadows on the third loco.

Cheers,

Christine.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote