Old 11-25-2005, 04:19 AM   #1
firegator

Default Train wreck

Hi-- Anybody have information on the wreck which occured today in Momence, Ill.? A little information and some photos are available on: InternationalFirefightingNews.com-- At least 60 cars and 5 locomotives from a collision-- 4 of the locos burned-- Hazmat involved-- Looked to be a tremendous collision-- Hope the crews are all OK-- Regards, da Gator
firegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:11 AM   #2
Frederick

The site is down, but I think that it occured over a diamond.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 06:58 AM   #3
firegator

Default Train wreck

Hi again-- According to what news I can find, an eastbound NS train collided with a southbound UP-- As Frederick said, it appears to have occured over a diamond-- One source said there had been a tower there until a few years ago-- 3 crew members were reported to have suffered minor injuries-- The hazmat was reported as alcohol leaking from involved tank cars, but the alcohol did not catch fire-- Sure glad the crew wasn't injured worse than they were-- Cheers,, da Gator
firegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:07 AM   #4
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Heard about this too. We were about 25 miles south of there today hunting. Unfortunately, I couldn't convince my dad to take a quick poke up there to see the aftermath. I do believe though that I saw the line south of there and it was empty, usually we see at least one train on there at some point.
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

NS 9443, CN 6026, and MEC 375 are involved I know for sure.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
J

Freight trains collide at diamond crossing south of Chicago

Two freight trains collided Thursday in Momence, Illinois, a small town south of Chicago, and forced the evacuation of some streets downwind of the tracks because of a leaking rail car, authorities said.

Union Pacific spokesman Mark Davis said two houses were evacuated because of the spill of grain alcohol, which can be flammable. The Kankakee County Emergency Services and Disaster Agency said the spill was contained.

Three minor injuries to crew members also were reported.

The collision between a southbound Union Pacific train and an eastbound Norfolk Southern train happened about 07:45 about 55 miles south of Chicago.

The Union Pacific train was headed to Little Rock, Arkansas, when it struck the side of the Norfolk Southern train, which was headed to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Davis said.

None of the crew on the 90-car Norfolk Southern train was injured, said company spokesman Rudy Husband.

Two locomotives and 14 rail cars on the Union Pacific train derailed and the collision sent three locomotives and 31 rail cars from the Norfolk Southern train off the tracks, Davis said.

The cause of the crash was under investigation, Davis said.

He said crews would work through the night Thursday to reopen the affected stretch of track by Friday.

Officials said the situation was under control Thursday afternoon. But traffic on Illinois Highway 1--the main thoroughfare in Momence--was expected to be detoured until at least Friday morning because a portion of the Norfolk Southern train was blocking the road at an intersection.

A similar crash occurred at the intersection on March 23, 1999, when two freight trains collided, sending more than a dozen boxcars and three locomotives off the tracks. That accident caused minor injuries to three crew members on the two trains. - The Associated Press, The Chicago Sun-Times
J is offline   Reply With Quote