Old 04-29-2007, 05:05 AM   #1
Everywhere West

Default Sp 4449

Any truth to the rumor that 4449 is being given to the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento?
"You ain't stopping at this hotel, kid. My hotel! The stars at night, I put 'em there. And I know the presidents, all of them. And I go where I damn well please. Even the chairman of the New York Central can't do it better. My road, kid, and I don't give lessons and I don't take partners. Your ass don't ride this train!"

Last edited by Everywhere West; 04-29-2007 at 05:07 AM.
Everywhere West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
nwrails

No truth to it, cause it's nothing more than a typical railfan/foamer rumor. As usual, if a rumor is too crazy and stupid, it's never true.

Anyways, why would a fully operational locomotive with a excellent crew who maintains and operates her, be given away?

Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everywhere West
Any truth to the rumor that 4449 is being given to the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento?
nwrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:28 AM   #3
Studogg120

Not sure to the truth of being moved to California. But they are looking for a new home for it so they could have it on display. Brooklyn yard isn't the best place for it because it's UPRR property, so knowing UP, no one is allowed to even see the roundhouse. Check out www.sp4449.com.

Last edited by Studogg120; 04-29-2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Missing letter(s)
Studogg120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Everywhere West

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwrails
No truth to it, cause it's nothing more than a typical railfan/foamer rumor. As usual, if a rumor is too crazy and stupid, it's never true.

Anyways, why would a fully operational locomotive with a excellent crew who maintains and operates her, be given away?

Daniel
The person that was telling me about this wouldn`t fall into your catagory at all.

The reasoning behind it was as Studogg120 confirmed about losing their current facility.
"You ain't stopping at this hotel, kid. My hotel! The stars at night, I put 'em there. And I know the presidents, all of them. And I go where I damn well please. Even the chairman of the New York Central can't do it better. My road, kid, and I don't give lessons and I don't take partners. Your ass don't ride this train!"
Everywhere West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
Studogg120

I don't think they lost their facility, they just want a place for it to be on display when it's not running.
Studogg120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:56 AM   #6
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studogg120
Brooklyn yard isn't the best place for it because it's UPRR property, so knowing UP, no one is allowed to even see the roundhouse.
Ive walked right in. Quite easy, actually.
Image © Mike Bjork
PhotoID: 166931
Photograph © Mike Bjork

Sadly, the future of SP4449 isn't all to certain...

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
nwrails

The general rules for visiting the Brooklyn Roundhouse is that the roundhouse is located on private property owned by the UP and if you chose to enter the property, you do run the risk of being "removed" by the UP police.

Though if you do make it to the roundhouse and behave yourself, ask a volunteer if it's fine to look around, you don't leave the roundhouse and wonder off into the yard you'll usually be fine. If there is no one around, I'd suggest getting your ass out of there as you are basically asking for trouble, with last year's break-in and theft of material from the roundhouse.

As to the 4449, like I said, it's nothing but a false rumor.

While there is the threat of having to leave Brooklyn Yard within the next few years, it's the Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation's (ORHF) goal to have something in place before it's time to move out of Brooklyn Yard.

I also wouldn't say that the future of the 4449 and other equipment is too uncertain. Temporary structures could be built or equipment be temporarily moved to another location in the Portland area and not be moved out of state like some other people seem to think is going to happen.

The future move from Brooklyn Yard is effecting everyone, not just the steam locomotives. While I'd like to begin the main phase of the restoration of the SDP40F at some point soon. But unfortunately it probably won't happen until other matters are resolved and some other projects are completed. Including the future move.

Daniel
nwrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
Tåg

The SP4449 and SPS700 are the property of the State of Oregon, if anything they will go back to being on display at Oaks park.