Old 05-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Pa2010

Default Is there something I am missing here?

After 3 consecutive rejections, I post this picture I took that looks just as good if not better than one in the same location years ago.

This was rejected (- Poor lighting (Backlit): The image is backlit or doesn't feature enough light on the nose or visible sides of the subject.)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1048097940

I found this on the site from a while back..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...140624&nseq=11

What is wrong with the lighting??? Cant get any brighter than a white locomotive. What gives?
Pa2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
Doug Wolfe

I think the problem is the nose of the unit in your shot...It is pretty dark. If the sun were on the nose I think that shot would be in. You probably can not over come this one.

On the older shot the nose is fairly well lit.

Last edited by Doug Wolfe; 05-18-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Doug Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
Ween

Also, there's a tad more leeway on older shots making into the database. But, yeah, the nose is too dark on yours. Look at the lead unit's shadow...it's between you and the nose.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
Dennis A. Livesey

Welcome to RP!

RP, in general, wants low sun at your back, the image level, good color and contrast, no compression, correct sharpening, and no foreground clutter.

Politely listen to the advice you get here, don't get upset, don't compare your shot to another in the database, and you will learn what a photo needs in order to be accepted to this database.

And you will become a better railroad photographer.

For free.

All of us feel the sting of rejected photos here, even the old-timers. My last took a couple of go rounds.

And wouldn't you know, my pictures and my skill are the better for it.

Again, welcome and good luck.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa2010 View Post
After 3 consecutive rejections, I post this picture I took that looks just as good if not better than one in the same location years ago.
Hey Paul, one thing you have to understand about RP is that quality control has increased over the years. Images that are now considered "below par" were easily accepted just a few years ago (not implying Mr. Mackey's shot is below par, just making a point that current submissions should not be compared to those of a few years ago as a means to jusity their acceptance). If you want to see more evidence of this change in quality control, look back at pictures that were submitted in '03.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:18 AM   #6
Pa2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Hey Paul, one thing you have to understand about RP is that quality control has increased over the years. Images that are now considered "below par" were easily accepted just a few years ago (not implying Mr. Mackey's shot is below par, just making a point that current submissions should not be compared to those of a few years ago as a means to jusity their acceptance). If you want to see more evidence of this change in quality control, look back at pictures that were submitted in '03.
Why such high standards? Would there be too many photos to choose from then? It seems like the grand total is pretty high though. I see the slight shadow on the nose, but its not that bad in my opinion. I can still read the number boards, still see SOO LINE printed and I can still see its red in color. I am limited in my photography skills/camera quality/time to chase a rare train on these rails, so I guess I really dont stand much of a chance of getting any shots of the St Paul Ford Hauler on RP. That's a bummer because it will be history in the not too distant future. Ford will eventually close this place.
Pa2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:38 AM   #7
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Why such high standards? Would there be too many photos to choose from then? It seems like the grand total is pretty high though. I see the slight shadow on the nose, but its not that bad in my opinion. I can still read the number boards, still see SOO LINE printed and I can still see its red in color. I am limited in my photography skills/camera quality/time to chase a rare train on these rails, so I guess I really dont stand much of a chance of getting any shots of the St Paul Ford Hauler on RP. That's a bummer because it will be history in the not too distant future. Ford will eventually close this place.
"The best railroad photos on the 'net!"
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Why such high standards?
RP is about great photographs of trains.

RP is not about photographs of great trains.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 05-20-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post

After six or seven years, however long this site has been around, that's the besy way I've heard it explained.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:53 AM   #10
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post

I'm going to agree with Joe... really well stated Dennis.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
Dennis A. Livesey

Joe and Charles, thanks for the note.

Obviously I pocess inspired eloquence.

Or maybe it was just the second glass of wine...

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well: