Old 12-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Mgoldman

Default What I love about RP

Aside from being an excellent source of outstanding images (among the wedges and sensational wrecks (those devoid of substance) and Darwin candidates - aside from that, it's the consistency of the screeners to remain inconsistent:

Unique:
Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 460075
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

Similar to already posted shot:
Name:  EBT Hopper Ends Sunny B LR.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  259.2 KB

All unique:

Image © Charles J Freericks
PhotoID: 458711
Photograph © Charles J Freericks

Image © Craig Walker
PhotoID: 459068
Photograph © Craig Walker

Image © Steve Crise
PhotoID: 459025
Photograph © Steve Crise

Image © Steve Crise
PhotoID: 459180
Photograph © Steve Crise

Image © Steve Crise
PhotoID: 459265
Photograph © Steve Crise

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 459558
Photograph © Ken Szok

Image © Ken Szok
PhotoID: 459560
Photograph © Ken Szok

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image © Travis Giles
PhotoID: 413610
Photograph © Travis Giles

Image © WMHeilman
PhotoID: 455872
Photograph © WMHeilman

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 329447
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 331664
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Image © Loyd Lowry
PhotoID: 317179
Photograph © Loyd Lowry

Image © Chase55671
PhotoID: 317625
Photograph © Chase55671

Good thing they were able to avoid accepting both my images... that would really wreck the database and make RP look like it was poorly managed.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

Really a shame your second one didn't get on. It's a great shot. Draws the eye right in.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
WMHeilman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Image © Travis Giles
PhotoID: 413610
Photograph © Travis Giles

Image © WMHeilman
PhotoID: 455872
Photograph © WMHeilman
Different trains, a year apart. Just happens to be at the same spot. Plenty of that on RP, absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

Mitch, get over it.
WMHeilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMHeilman View Post
Different trains, a year apart. Just happens to be at the same spot. Plenty of that on RP, absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

Mitch, get over it.
That explains it all - thanks! Oh, wait, there was a reason I put more then 2 examples in my thread.

Sometimes, with some sites, when you make light of an issue which can be confirmed by it's patrons, admin will elect to make corrections to improve the experience of it's patrons and viewers.

I see that is not the case - I'm over it.

Loyd said it best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I applaud your drive Mitch. However, it should be apparent to you by now that no one (in the RP command) appears to care.

Loyd L.
/Mitch
Old 12-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
troy12n
Banned

Here's a couple more to fuel your anger...

Image © Troy Nolen
PhotoID: 461265
Photograph © Troy Nolen

Image © Casey Bell
PhotoID: 458175
Photograph © Casey Bell

Of course it is apples and oranges to your "rusty shed behind some trees" shot I think.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Here's a couple more to fuel your anger...

Image © Troy Nolen
PhotoID: 461265
Photograph © Troy Nolen

Image © Casey Bell
PhotoID: 458175
Photograph © Casey Bell

Of course it is apples and oranges to your "rusty shed behind some trees" shot I think.
No - no fuel there - they were submitted a month apart. Though I may have used an example or two as such, the issue at hand is that RP will likely (and fortunately) never be able to control accepting even IDENTICAL images, so why the fuss when they are similar BUT COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Especially in light of the fact that screeners (as shown) will accept back to back to back similar images on the same screening. Top it off with the proven success (appeal as represented in favorites, views and commentary) of a previous photo submitted last about 6 years ago.

I've said it before - Men are from Mars, women from Venus - I have NO CLUE where admin come from.

/Mitch
Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Quote:
I've said it before - Men are from Mars, women from Venus - I have NO CLUE where admin come from.

/Mitch
Men and women came to earth and created admins.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
Men and women came to earth and created admins.

Chris Z
See what happens when you take "God" out of the equation? Lol.

/Mitch
Old 12-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

Quote:
See what happens when you take "God" out of the equation? Lol.

/Mitch
If God created admins they would be perfect. Now you know why they are the way they are.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:28 AM   #10
Ron Flanary

Two thoughts:

(1) Never let anyone else stand beside you when you photograph a train (at least one you want to upload here). That would avoid such things as the near duplicate shots of 630. Find your own ground---be original.

(2) How many shots does one need of a 4-8-8-4 in a parking lot? I mean.....really!
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #11
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
(1) Never let anyone else stand beside you when you photograph a train (at least one you want to upload here). That would avoid such things as the near duplicate shots of 630. Find your own ground---be original.
Ron, literally there were at least 6 people there, maybe more, I wasnt the first, and wasnt the last one there. You know how these things go.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #12
jdirelan87

Not saying anything new here, but your absolutely right Mitch. The screening is extremely inconsistent and the complete lack of admin interest is very disappointing. I think most long time users would agree that, if anything, the overall quality of the site is moving backwards. But with that being said, it is still by far the best website for railroad photography on the internet. So, at some point you got to shrug your shoulders and take it on the chin. This is what the website is now. Screening roulette is the price of doing business and it doesn't look to change anytime soon.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #13
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
How many shots does one need of a 4-8-8-4 in a parking lot? I mean.....really!
Mine are all different.

I have ones that look a little līke the ones above (not like Steve's, but like Charles' and some of the others) but I have not uploaded them.

17,000 views on the one, that is crazy.

Quote:
Ron, literally there were at least 6 people there, maybe more, I wasnt the first, and wasnt the last one there. You know how these things go.
When I took my 4014 shots there where people everywhere and I was a late arriving, so supposedly others had beat me to all the good shots.

And yet, I found a number of completely unique views.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 12-10-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87 View Post
Not saying anything new here, but your absolutely right Mitch. The screening is extremely inconsistent and the complete lack of admin interest is very disappointing. I think most long time users would agree that, if anything, the overall quality of the site is moving backwards. But with that being said, it is still by far the best website for railroad photography on the internet. So, at some point you got to shrug your shoulders and take it on the chin. This is what the website is now. Screening roulette is the price of doing business and it doesn't look to change anytime soon.

/Mitch
Old 12-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
When I took my 4014 shots there where people everywhere and I was a late arriving, so supposedly others had beat me to all the good shots.

And yet, I found a number of completely unique views.
You were also shooting a static object and had the ability to experiment and move around
Old 12-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
Joe the Photog

I see the STP rejection in two ways. One, sometimes it's really annoying to see multiple shots by the sameperson of the same train in the basic 3/4 wedgie with no real difference in backgrounds. I try not to do this, made easier by rarely chasing trains to more than a few spots. Also, it's hard when you shoot the same railroad a lot to mix it up, especially if it is a shortline you visit a lot or the area you live in. The generic nature of most Class 1s mainline power these days makes it harder.

That said, say you are looking to buy a photograph to hang on a wall of a business, a home office or just a man cave. What looks like a generic background in two similiar shots to me might play a huge difference in the mind of someone wanting to purchase that photo, or even just someone looking at purty choo choo pictures with their two year old. Even moreso when the shots arent taken the same day.

On the other hand, it seems like a lot of us shoot similiar scenes of the same train adn post to RP. This is not much of a problem until that person has a shot rejected the same day as a news worthy, somewhat historic move from a land locked museum across a parking lot of an engine that hasn't moved under her own power since before some of us were born.

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 458884

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 458866

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 458670

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 455359

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 455332

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 455170

So I guess we all do it to some extent. But I have to ask: when are you going to request the admins take down some of your repeats?

No, I'm not trying to come down on you. Just trying to make you see what I noticed before -- that when our shots are rejected, we often find the splinters in other shots on RP while failing to see the planks in our own shots.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
Holloran Grade
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
You were also shooting a static object and had the ability to experiment and move around
Unless it is a special event, you generally have that option anyway when the next train comes by.

I was amazed however how many people crowded around each other and shot the same shot of the "static object."

Run with the herd is what I say.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #18
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I see the STP rejection in two ways. One, sometimes it's really annoying to see multiple shots by the same person of the same train in the basic 3/4 wedgie with no real difference in backgrounds.

That said, say you are looking to buy a photograph to hang on a wall of a business, a home office or just a man cave. What looks like a generic background in two similiar shots to me might play a huge difference in the mind of someone wanting to purchase that photo, or even just someone looking at purty choo choo pictures...

So I guess we all do it to some extent. But I have to ask: when are you going to request the admins take down some of your repeats?
I'll entertain your comments despite John's eloquent cap on the topic....

First, my intent was to photograph the length of the BR&W, as I have with numerous other tourist steam operations. SOME folks might be curious to see more then the one single image presented in TRAINS "Tourist Trains Guidebook". The BR&W, NH&I and W&W, to name a few, have used images I've posted both here and other sites for their brochure - I'm sure they appreciated the option to choose between multiple images. That being said, I'm sure your favorite among any of the three above would not be the same as everyone else. So why should you feel it wise to delete any of the others?

What's a good analogy? Let's see - I guess, if I were to buy a red car, I'd like to choose between every shade of red available where-as I suppose "red" is just fine for you. Maybe you are AOK with a "red" GG1? Maybe during an Olympic event the nuances are overkill, so long as all the expected moves are performed in a figure skating event.

Maybe RP should change it's name to RAILPLACE.NET, discuss heritage units, Darwin candidates and wrecks and let the photographers go elsewhere.

While I find the bulk of NS /CSX /BNSF and UP wedges on RP to be "STP", I have no issue with any of them being accepted into a railroad photo database. They might not be the "BEST" railroad photos on the net but I'm sure each have their own unique appeal to someone - even it that someone is the photographer him /herself. And though RP advertises itself as the "BEST railroad photos" it probably is better utilized in it's roll as being likely "the BEST railroad DATABASE on the net".

/Mitch
Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
Mgoldman

Incidentally, Joe - as much as I personally have no problem and in fact thoroughly enjoyed the numerous Big Boy postings, I myself was getting tired of posting similar images from the BR&W over a span of a week or so. If the screening process was not so problematic, I'd have MUCH preferred to put them all up at once and allow those that have an appreciation of the line view the collection all at once.

/Mitch

PS - I'm also glad admin did not tell Steve Crise to "get lost" in the event he was not first to post. I'd like to think of RP as the ALSO being the place to find COLLECTIONS from the "BEST railroad photographers on the net", as well.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:02 AM   #20
Insert_Name_Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I see the STP rejection in two ways. One, sometimes it's really annoying to see multiple shots by the sameperson of the same train in the basic 3/4 wedgie with no real difference in backgrounds. I try not to do this, made easier by rarely chasing trains to more than a few spots. Also, it's hard when you shoot the same railroad a lot to mix it up, especially if it is a shortline you visit a lot or the area you live in. The generic nature of most Class 1s mainline power these days makes it harder.

That said, say you are looking to buy a photograph to hang on a wall of a business, a home office or just a man cave. What looks like a generic background in two similiar shots to me might play a huge difference in the mind of someone wanting to purchase that photo, or even just someone looking at purty choo choo pictures with their two year old. Even moreso when the shots arent taken the same day.

On the other hand, it seems like a lot of us shoot similiar scenes of the same train adn post to RP. This is not much of a problem until that person has a shot rejected the same day as a news worthy, somewhat historic move from a land locked museum across a parking lot of an engine that hasn't moved under her own power since before some of us were born.

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 458884

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 458866

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 458670

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 455359

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 455332

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 455170

No, I'm not trying to come down on you. Just trying to make you see what I noticed before -- that when our shots are rejected, we often find the splinters in other shots on RP while failing to see the planks in our own shots.
Well, you just caught the pot calling the kettle black
Old 12-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #21
JimThias

Quote:
Whoa...I almost posted those same exact words about a rejection in another thread.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #22
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert_Name_Here View Post
Well, you just caught the pot calling the kettle black
Quote:
I'll entertain your comments despite John's eloquent cap on the topic....

First, my intent was to photograph the length of the BR&W, as I have with numerous other tourist steam operations. SOME folks might be curious to see more then the one single image presented in TRAINS "Tourist Trains Guidebook". The BR&W, NH&I and W&W, to name a few, have used images I've posted both here and other sites for their brochure - I'm sure they appreciated the option to choose between multiple images. That being said, I'm sure your favorite among any of the three above would not be the same as everyone else. So why should you feel it wise to delete any of the others?

While I find the bulk of NS /CSX /BNSF and UP wedges on RP to be "STP", I have no issue with any of them being accepted into a railroad photo database. They might not be the "BEST" railroad photos on the net but I'm sure each have their own unique appeal to someone - even it that someone is the photographer him /herself. And though RP advertises itself as the "BEST railroad photos" it probably is better utilized in it's roll as being likely "the BEST railroad DATABASE on the net".

/Mitch
You're an idiot.

Why don't you take your personal vendetta somewhere else.

/Mitch
Old 12-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #23
JimThias

Quote:
Speaking of a rusty shed...someone removed the walls from this shed that sat along a dirt road.

PhotoID: 461835
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #24
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Speaking of a rusty shed...someone removed the walls from this shed that sat along a dirt road.

PhotoID: 461835
Someone's jealous!!!!
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #25
Insert_Name_Here

Unhappy

Quote:
You're an idiot.

Why don't you take your personal vendetta somewhere else.

/Mitch
No personal vendetta here, Mitch...as I do enjoy seeing your work...

Why you let a website like this get you all worked up is beyond me...