Old 11-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #1
Studogg120

Default Dangerous crossing

I'm not sure if all of you get how stupid some people are. Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=938brJyt9MA
Studogg120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #2
Tåg

Im suprised how quick he was able to stop after he big holed it. Most engineers I know will not big hole it, and will stop the train within safe train handling practices. Its almost impossible to stop in time, and putting a big heavy train on the ground at that kind of speed is a real possibility.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
Everywhere West

I was first hand witness to just as bad when a tandem dump truck stopped on the tracks at a crossing because his trailer wouldn`t clear a car from the corner he just turned. The bells and lights started and the arms came down between his truck and trailer some what trapping him. The tracks are on a long sweeping curve and the train was slow enough to get stopped just as the car moved and the truck could go. Of course the arm was torn off and the train was into emergency stop. The brakeman was quite upset and it took more than a few minutes to get air pressure back. I was second back in the opposite lanes and seiously considered leaving my car when I saw what was going to happen. If the train had had any speed I was sure the collision would have derailed the loco`s and started stacking grain cars like dominos.
"You ain't stopping at this hotel, kid. My hotel! The stars at night, I put 'em there. And I know the presidents, all of them. And I go where I damn well please. Even the chairman of the New York Central can't do it better. My road, kid, and I don't give lessons and I don't take partners. Your ass don't ride this train!"
Everywhere West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
StL-rail

Send a message via AIM to StL-rail Send a message via MSN to StL-rail Send a message via Yahoo to StL-rail

People are stupid, we were pulling cars out of the River's Edge port in Granite City one day, and almost hit a lady in some silver car. Watched her all the way across the crossing, she didn't even glance over at us! We were partially over the crossing and we came about 10 feet from hitting her, good thing we were only allowed 10 MPH in the port.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

-Canadian Pacific Conductor
-Union Pacific Conductor
-RRC Switchman
StL-rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:17 AM   #5
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

Astonishing. It is amazing how fast they dumped the air and stopped it. Good to see that nobody was hurt. Except the driver should be hit broadside the head w/ a 2x4 for being an idiot.

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:10 AM   #6
Jaypee_Logger
Blasting over a red flag.

Send a message via MSN to Jaypee_Logger Send a message via Yahoo to Jaypee_Logger

we get people running our crossings in Pasco, WA all the time. i havent seen anyone hit yet but i know the time will come
Old 11-14-2006, 08:19 PM   #7
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tåg
Im suprised how quick he was able to stop after he big holed it. Most engineers I know will not big hole it, and will stop the train within safe train handling practices. Its almost impossible to stop in time, and putting a big heavy train on the ground at that kind of speed is a real possibility.
Agree. Trouble is, with event recorders a plaintiff's attorney will say that their client would be alive today if the engineer had only done everything in his power to stop. In the old days one might stop with a full set and then dump the air.
J is offline   Reply With Quote