Old 08-14-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
E-diddy!

Default Doing some more experimenting

Canon 20D EF-S 18-55 ISO 100 f/8 30 second exposure with 3 bursts from red-gelled strobe.

Canon 20D EF-S 18-55 ISO 100 f/8 30 second exposure.
E-diddy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
JRMDC

First: very nice color. The semi-graphic composition, verticals up top, circles at the bottom, is OK. I guess what keeps me from liking it more is the light is fairly flat and even across the picture, not much contrast.

Second: I don't care for the composition, with the posts obscuring the side of the car. Also, the right side of the shot, I'm not sure what it is about, not sure where my eyes should go. The D and smokestack are on the left and the right is not balanced. Nice effect with the steam coming out the stack.

Just two personal reactions.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:28 PM   #3
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Second: I don't care for the composition, with the posts obscuring the side of the car. Also, the right side of the shot, I'm not sure what it is about, not sure where my eyes should go. The D and smokestack are on the left and the right is not balanced. Nice effect with the steam coming out the stack.
I agree here. Plus, regardless of the balance problems, I think something better to photograph when you want a composition like this is the cab of a locomotive. However, unless it's of a really unique subject, a shot like that won't get accepted to RP.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
However, unless it's of a really unique subject, a shot like that won't get accepted to RP.
I wonder, given these shots and the ones e-diddy posted before, whether RP is his goal or whether he (she?) is simply opening up discussion in this forum but is not targeting RP for uploading.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-15-2007, 12:56 AM   #5
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I wonder, given these shots and the ones e-diddy posted before, whether RP is his goal or whether he (she?) is simply opening up discussion in this forum but is not targeting RP for uploading.
He.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=8369
Old 08-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
I agree here. Plus, regardless of the balance problems, I think something better to photograph when you want a composition like this is the cab of a locomotive. However, unless it's of a really unique subject, a shot like that won't get accepted to RP.
Of course, there's more to railroading that just locomotives. That's probably something that's overemphasized here on RP is locomotives, and just the rail photography world in general. Of course, am I guilty of this too? Yes.

I actually like the first shot. The lighting might need a little tweaking, but that's about all.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
Of course, there's more to railroading that just locomotives.
Such as the shot of the baboon that was the top photo of last week.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
Of course, there's more to railroading that just locomotives. That's probably something that's overemphasized here on RP is locomotives, and just the rail photography world in general. Of course, am I guilty of this too? Yes.

I actually like the first shot. The lighting might need a little tweaking, but that's about all.
Agreed. I actually like the second shot, albeit it is poorly composed. But a shot that shows a power plant chimney on one side, with a bit of steam out the stack, and a coal hopper on the other side, with the perspective as was done here, has a lot of appeal to me. I think that shot would tell the coal->electricity story a lot better than another shot of an engine.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Actually, I meant to say the second shot.

That's what I get for typing posts just after waking up.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:41 AM   #10
E-diddy!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate this. My ultimate goal isn't to get photos onto railpictures.net although for the loco shots that would be a nice kickback of what I'm really trying to accomplish, which is to expand my photographic horizons. When I photograph aircraft, I always feel like I'm trying too hard to photograph the aircraft, rather than the scene. Maybe its because I'm completely fascinated with aviation, or because I learned photography through very subjective judging, either way, I'm trying to broaden things out a bit, and I feel that rail works because it's still transportation (which I must admit I'm quite fascinated with), but I'm not so concentrated on photographing the subject as I am the scene.

To explain further, railyards have always been iconic scenes of urban decay in popular culture, and I'm trying to capture that sort of very raw, form follows function image in my photos.

...And If by chance I happen to get some photos on RP, certainly won't mind too much
E-diddy! is offline   Reply With Quote