Old 07-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #51
lalam
Senior Member
 
lalam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Get this book...you'll thank me later.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0817439390
I am thanking you now, even before having my first DSLR. . Really a great book.
lalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #52
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC View Post
Troy you seem like you need a hug.
Har har!


54321
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #53
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Har har!


54321
I need a little more than a hug. It's 2:48am and I didn't get it tonight.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #54
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
Actually I shot it in manual mode. I was told to stay at 1/500-1/640 and adjust the aperture per the meter in the viewfinder says. At least I'm reading a book now.

It's hard to tell someone's attitude when it comes to reading text. I took it the wrong way as usual, sorry.
There's multiple components and adjustments to reach an exposure.

Shutter speed
Aperture
ISO

It's a good general rule to not shoot at a shutter speed UNDER 1/500. How you adjust the other 2 components (ISO, Aperture) affect other things (noise, depth of field).

Read your book and learn.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #55
nikos1
Senior Member
 
nikos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,777
Default

How is it that you are buying and 60D and L lenses but don't have money for a car? You can have the best gear in the world but still take mediocre shots because you have nowhere to use it.

Anyways shooting on manual shouldnt take you very long to pick up, for sunny day shots F8, 1/500 - 800 depending on train speed/how bright the sun is, ISO 200 and you are good to go for the most part. For cloudy days its a game of how far can you push your ISO and how low can you take the shutter and aperature while keeping a usable image, something you just have to experiment with.
__________________


Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #56
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
I'm assuming a smart thing to do would be to program F/8.0 in the custom settings bank on my 60D when it arrives.
You're making this way too complicated.

-Pick an aperture (f8, as *Magnum suggested, is a good start)
-Pick an ISO (100 is a good start on a SUNNY day, 200-400 for cloudy)

And then...

-Adjust the shutter speed to get the best exposure.

When you get the 60D, learn about the Histogram. The Histogram will become your friend when it comes to learning about proper exposure. Don't pay much attention to how nice the images look on the screen on the back of the camera. The Histogram is the TRUTH.

Shooting in manual is the easiest thing in the world once you fully understand the relationship between the aperture, ISO and shutter speed. Reading "Understanding Exposure" will be a big help in coming to understand that.


*Magnum suggested f8 because that is one of the most standard aperture settings to use. Also, for many lenses, f8 is the "sweet spot," meaning you'll get the sharpest image possible out of your lens at that setting.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #57
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
How is it that you are buying and 60D and L lenses but don't have money for a car? You can have the best gear in the world but still take mediocre shots because you have nowhere to use it.
That would be silly to purchase a vehicle I cannot drive. I'd be able to obtain my permit next year, and hopefully snag a job too. I'm hoping in a year or two of saving some cash, and practicing driving and photography, I'll be able to get the vehicle I want. Lenses would not even touch a financial concern as I'd have at least one L glass by next year.

Someone mentioned to start with the easy and boring, so I'm going to stick with this mediocre run-down of a town for now.
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #58
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
Someone mentioned to start with the easy and boring, so I'm going to stick with this mediocre run-down of a town for now.
Let's be a bit more ambitious than that! Regardless of location.

First, get well-exposed and processed wedgies.
Then, start looking for interesting non-wedgie shots. Your location may be difficult, but that just means you will have to make a greater effort in conceiving of shots, and that will pay off down the road.

Go for the occasional home run, sure, but start off by becoming a good singles hitter. In photography, unlike baseball, there is a progression to go through.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #59
JMC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I need a little more than a hug. It's 2:48am and I didn't get it tonight.
In that case you're on the wrong website at 2:48AM
JMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #60
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC View Post
In that case you're on the wrong website at 2:48AM
Just logged in to my computer to check my email before I went to bed and for whatever bizzare reason also clicked here. But I hear ya.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #61
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Let's be a bit more ambitious than that! Regardless of location. First, get well-exposed and processed wedgies.

I took this yesterday waiting for a train to pass that I was told too late about and unfortunately missed.

While it's probably awfully processed, I used some of the suggested things in the thread, such as the F/8.0 and be there method.

After diving into the book a bit, I have not had a chance to do anything today because of the rain. Still no 60D, so no sealed body. If it was legal though, I'd be tempted to go down and cut the grass around the abandoned station to tidy it up for creative shots. Unfortunately the world doesn't work that way.
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile

Last edited by Elitewolf135; 07-27-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #62
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
I took this yesterday waiting for a train to pass that I was told too late about and unfortunately missed.

While it's probably awfully processed, I used some of the suggested things in the thread, such as the F/8.0 and be there method.

After diving into the book a bit, I have not had a chance to do anything today because of the rain. Still no 60D, so no sealed body. If it was legal though, I'd be tempted to go down and cut the grass around the abandoned station to tidy it up for creative shots. Unfortunately the world doesn't work that way.
That's a really nice looking location. You can get some nice pics there. Especially if you include that station(?) in them.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #63
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
That's a really nice looking location. You can get some nice pics there. Especially if you include that station(?) in them.
It would be really nice if I could tidy up the Station's landscaping.
As far as I know, nobody knows who owns the property. I wouldn't mind fixing it up and turning it into a railroad themed restaurant, with an HO Scale layout in the basement sometime in my life though (providing I'd be able to afford it and should it go to auction)
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile

Last edited by Elitewolf135; 07-27-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #64
CSX1702
Senior Member
 
CSX1702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
It would be really nice if I could tidy up the Station's landscaping.
As far as I know, nobody knows who owns the property. I wouldn't mind fixing it up and turning it into a railroad themed restaurant, with an HO Scale layout in the basement sometime in my life though (providing I'd be able to afford it and should it go to auction)
Good luck with that. Lol.

And make sure when you get train here to make sure those weeds aren't obstructing anything.
__________________
Derek

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #65
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Good luck with that. Lol.

And make sure when you get train here to make sure those weeds aren't obstructing anything.
Nah nothing would be obstructing on that side of the tracks.

In other news and aside from the already derailed thread, I've experimented with Depth of Field today per the book Jim has suggested. The great thing about having model trains is that they can work as "dummies" to real trains.
Now I have the issue however of the slow shutter speed. No worries, as I'll find that sweet spot out on the field for the real deal.

Take 1:
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/0554...a7b64c7708.jpg

Take 2:
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/bdcc...940b601f08.jpg
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:38 AM   #66
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Jim (and everyone else pretty much),

I'd like to thank you for pointing me toward the Understanding Aperture book. Today I was able to go out and do a field test of what I've learned so far.
Here's what I've come up with.



To me, it looks like a very good start to the road of success. This was shot at 1/160 (Train was moving slow enough where I was able to do this) F/6.3 (where I usually would have used F/5.4). Looks like it makes a difference after all.
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #67
Insert_Name_Here
Member
 
Insert_Name_Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post




I didnt realize I was dealing with a juvenile here. I guess you have the rest of your life to figure it out.

I stopped reading this thread after this post, find a book called "understanding exposure", that's a good start.
Troy, maybe you can help this juvenile out with a 101 crash course of how to clone out the lead engine on a train?
__________________
They call me Mr. Negativity
Insert_Name_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #68
Freericks
Met Fan
 
Freericks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,042
Default

Meow...

additional pointless words
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #69
Elitewolf135
Member
 
Elitewolf135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Meow...

additional pointless words
Should I just kill this thread before I continue to be made into a fool?
On second thought I'm considering just giving up on this site and throwing in the towel.
__________________
Skype - HyenaCreations | Email - huskynet@yahoo.com | RailPictures Profile

Last edited by Elitewolf135; 07-28-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Elitewolf135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #70
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,910
Default

Duplicate post that said the same thing again.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 07-28-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #71
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
Should I just kill this thread before I continue to be made into a fool?
On second thought I'm considering just giving up on this site and throwing in the towel.
Not sure where you think you were made a fool of, but a few things --

1.) You need to develop thicker skin.
2.) We're not baby sitters.

Keep those two things in mind, ask questions, share pictures, and we'll all do fine.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #72
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert_Name_Here View Post
Troy, maybe you can help this juvenile out with a 101 crash course of how to clone out the lead engine on a train?
That is advanced subject material that I can approach with him once he learns how to take a properly exposed, framed and focused shot. Let's concentrate on the basics at this point.

But now that you mention it, I have not done what you suggest, that was someone else. I think what you are thinking of is when I cloned one nose over another due to lighting conditions.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #73
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Not sure where you think you were made a fool of, but a few things --

1.) You need to develop thicker skin.
2.) We're not baby sitters.

Keep those two things in mind, ask questions, share pictures, and we'll all do fine.
This... Joe hit the nail on the head.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #74
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 View Post
Jim (and everyone else pretty much),

I'd like to thank you for pointing me toward the Understanding Aperture book. Today I was able to go out and do a field test of what I've learned so far.
Here's what I've come up with.



To me, it looks like a very good start to the road of success. This was shot at 1/160 (Train was moving slow enough where I was able to do this) F/6.3 (where I usually would have used F/5.4). Looks like it makes a difference after all.
Ok, but keep in mind that this website willl never accept something like that, it's too dark. You need to take pictures like that when it's light outside, not at dusk. Those lighting conditions do not lend themselves to getting a shot on here.

Also, why f6.3 and 1/160? Did you not read the suggestions to this point? That lens, you should have it permanently fused at F8, it's just not good below that. And as far as shutter speed goes, it's not just motion you have to worry about, simple hand movement can affect focus and sharpness.

I cant get all the settings out of your photo, no exif information. Post all the info so we can review it. If you are still trying to use ISO 100, i'm gonna be mad.

Also, how many times did you read the book, and did it really sink in?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #75
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan
 
Hatchetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,381
Default

That's not a bad shot. Better than my first efforts. A little tweaking in the processing and it would look pretty good.
__________________
Now with Flickr!
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.