Old 12-03-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
JRMDC

Default Where to sell?

Craigslist is letting me down in terms of selling my 20D, and I just discovered that you have to pay $30 to have rights to post on FredMiranda buy and sell, so I am at a loss as to where to sell my camera. Not an eBay guy, may need to become one, I suppose. Any other outlets?

BTW, what is with Craigslist? I have gotten a bunch of pathetic broken-English responses that say things like "I am out of town, sob story, ship this to my daughter, will pay more than requested" GEESH! Can't keep the inbox clear. Always something on Craigslist but the volume of junk this go around, what happened? (It actually isn't that much but previously I would never get more than one.)

Also, I wonder about the extent that at my price point people are looking for a body with lens and so a body-only sale is tough to do.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:01 AM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

What are you selling it for?
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:04 AM   #3
JRMDC

Don't know if posting a price here is abuse of the forums ... Seriously, don't see buy/sell activity here, can remove this post upon request.

The first digit rhymes with zoo...
The second digit rhymes with heaven...
The third digit rhymes with dive...

Happy to adjust second and third digits

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 12-03-2010, 03:21 AM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan

I didn't want to break etiquette either... sorry if I did. was curious.

I would take a look at eBay and see what the bodies that were actually sold went for there. I haven't sold a camera on eBay, but I have sold a lot of other stuff there.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:24 AM   #5
jnohallman

The admins haven't banned me (yet) for mentioning my XT for sale and the price. Of course, no one has bitten on it yet either . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 AM   #6
JRMDC

The price is good, below other offers on DC craigslist. Looks fine in comparison to ebay. Just no bites ...

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 12-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
Mgoldman

I sold everything I didn't want pretty easily on CL after upgrading.

It's free and no commissions to pay out.

Just blow through the spam - they pay you, you mail it thinking you've been paid by Paypal and then they claim it never arrived or was sent to the wrong address. They get it free and Paypal works with them to screw you - something Paypal does very well.

I think I got $40 for the kit lens and separately $250 for the camera - last year.

A quick check indicates $250 is on the low end but I sold w/out lens. I've seen it advertised as high as $400. Just make sure you don't want to keep for a spare (if one goes down - or, if you find a shooting partner in need of a camera, a girlfriend or in your case, a family member who suddenly wants to share your hobby).

E-bay charges listing fees and closing fees and then Paypal fees. Fail.

Considering most of "us" trust most one another, it would seem ideal to post "for sale" adds here. Maybe admin would consider setting up a new header.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Wizzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
BTW, what is with Craigslist? I have gotten a bunch of pathetic broken-English responses that say things like "I am out of town, sob story, ship this to my daughter, will pay more than requested" GEESH! Can't keep the inbox clear. Always something on Craigslist but the volume of junk this go around, what happened? (It actually isn't that much but previously I would never get more than one.)
Sounds like the same scam I'm getting on Ebay selling an iPod at the moment. Twice now I have listed the item, had someone pay the Buy It Now Price, then had a spoof Paypal email turn up in my Inbox to say funds had been transferred, but guess what - no funds in my account.

Selling it on UK Ebay, last buyer had a registered address in the U.S. but wanted me to ship it to a relative in Lagos, Nigeria - classic scam symptom

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #9
qnyla

I have sold a ton on fredmiranda.com. It is worth the $30/year if you anticipate more than one transaction. On FM you can look at the forum discussion history of your prospective buyer or actually see who sold what to who and what the feedback from each transaction was.

I have a couple items there now...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/960584/0#9090231