Old 04-18-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
John Russell - NZ

Default Database photo and view counts

As I write this there are 676,069 photos in the RP photo database. Currently photo ID numbers are more than 57,000 in excess of that. Is that the number of photos that have been lost when contributors close their account and ask under copyright for their photos to be removed? That's about a year's worth of photos! I have 717 fewer favorites than designated. One member leaving last year with all his photos could have involved over 100 of my favorites alone and I didn't know about it until too late to save any of them somehow. It seems such a shame. This may seem an off topic post but not really considering the reason for probably most the departures concerned. It makes me wonder about real viewer numbers. It seems that without linking, photos are generally getting fewer views yet the site average has increased. That's business I guess.
John Russell - NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post
As I write this there are 676,069 photos in the RP photo database. Currently photo ID numbers are more than 57,000 in excess of that. Is that the number of photos that have been lost when contributors close their account and ask under copyright for their photos to be removed?
John, I'm guessing you must be in quarantine too! We're all going stir-crazy and spending time pondering things we'd ordinarily never give a rat's butt about.

I could write a thesis on the topic of photography and egos I've observed, but I think I can condense my feelings down to just a few salient points.

Yes, I'm sure there are photographers out there who can amuse themselves forever with their hobby. They shoot for themselves and could not care less if anyone else looks at their pictures or what anyone else thinks. God love 'em. For the rest of us, I think we do get a kick out of seeing whether or not people like our work and there is a certain satisfaction when we come up with something that seems to be a hit with like-minded people. For folks who shoot train pictures, there is no place else on the net that will get you more exposure than this site. Perhaps Facebook can generate more views, but you'd have to wade through a lot of crap to find the gems. If some folks decide they don't want to post images here, it's their loss. We can typically still see their stuff on their personal sites, but they won't get the exposure they get here.

I don't think it is safe to assume that all photographers who have posted here at one point or another have left because of the site's policies and screening criteria. I personally know of several who just don't have the time. They have spouses, children, careers and a boat-load of life's burdens that just don't give them the luxury of spending an evening posting images here. Even their personal sites are woefully out of date. Life happens and in the scheme of things, RP.net is a very low priority.

But yes, there are surely a few who have ego issues.... Those who seem to forget that they are asking to post on someone else's site (for free), yet they don't think that someone else has a right to exert control over their site content. They rail at the thought that someone else might think their pictures aren't all great. When someone decides to take down 1,000 or more photos over a spat related to a few rejections, I'm sorry, but that's an ego thing. Print the word "Goodyear" on the side of their ego and take it flying. My attitude toward that approach mirrors that of the Flight Attendant at the cabin door: "Bubye!" I don't miss 'em. Honestly, I can't even remember any names.

With regard to views..... I've been posting here for 12 years. It ebbs and flows. At times, I feel like I've lost whatever mojo I might have had, and then suddenly, the views come back. I don't think my stuff a year ago is any better or worse than now, but views lately have been pretty decent.....and I don't ever link my stuff. I suspect that my opening statement has a lot to do with it. People have a lot of time on their hands right now, so why not look at train pictures?

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 04-18-2020 at 07:54 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

Yes, I'm sure there are photographers out there who can amuse themselves forever with their hobby. They shoot for themselves and could not care less if anyone else looks at their pictures or what anyone else thinks.
WAVES!

That would describe me pretty well. The railfanning hobby started out as a completely solo venture to keep me entertained. Today it's more about sharing experiences with some of my close friends, but it has never been about sharing the results for fame or notoriety. I've got a huge backlog of material I need to upload on my website, but the drive to do so just isn't there.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:41 AM   #4
John Russell - NZ

Quote:
John, I'm guessing you must be in quarantine too! We're all going stir-crazy and spending time pondering things we'd ordinarily never give a rat's butt about.

I don't think it is safe to assume that all photographers who have posted here at one point or another have left because of the site's policies and screening criteria...
But yes, there are surely a few who have ego issues.... They rail at the thought that someone else might think their pictures aren't all great. When someone decides to take down 1,000 or more photos over a spat related to a few rejections, I'm sorry, but that's an ego thing.
As far as over here is concerned, who gives a rat's butt about this, or about RP at all? Probably just I do - because it is opportunity lost ,like Jean-Marc noted, for there to be a global database to preserve history we are recording here during our lives. Most rail fans and photogs here are not that interested as they won't see much local content here compared with Facebook groups where they can fully participate without the need to clear an ever rising bar. Unfortunately Facebook is nearly useless for decent photo presentation and hopeless for archival access.

I don't know of any member leaving, taking all their photos with them, that's not due to photo screening issues (and, yes, their ego.) My concern primarily has to do with the removal of photos, especially should it continue and end up exceeding 10% of the database. And I do really miss former contributors even when their photos remain. Then I realize what we are missing out on. The lack of viewers/ interest here might become more widespread.

Last edited by John Russell - NZ; 04-19-2020 at 01:07 AM. Reason: additional commentary
Old 04-19-2020, 01:23 AM   #5
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell - NZ View Post
My concern primarily has to do with the removal of photos, especially should it continue and end up exceeding 10% of the database. And I do really miss former contributors even when their photos remain. Then I realize what we are missing out on. The lack of viewers/ interest here might be more widespread over time.
John, I guess that different folks use RP in different ways. I mainly look at it for the daily photo-stream. Once in a while, when I am planning a trip to a railroad I've never visited I might do a search and review any existing material from that operation, just to see what is possible....or look for images I might want to duplicate or improve upon. But generally, when I want to look at the work of a specific photographer, I will usually go to their personal site. I have a ton of them bookmarked and it's what I would recommend.

I hope I didn't sound too harsh WRT my attitude about photographers and their egos. I've just grown weary of the never-ending stream of people getting all honked off about disagreements regarding a small number of controversial images....and then "taking their ball and going home." In those instances where we get to actually see the images involved, my reaction is typically: "You're going to DEFCON 1 over THAT?" Glad we don't have people like that running our country. Oh wait.....

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 04-19-2020 at 01:26 AM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:04 AM   #6
John Russell - NZ

Quote:
John, I guess that different folks use RP in different ways. I mainly look at it for the daily photo-stream. Once in a while, when I am planning a trip to a railroad I've never visited I might do a search and review any existing material from that operation, just to see what is possible....or look for images I might want to duplicate or improve upon. But generally, when I want to look at the work of a specific photographer, I will usually go to their personal site. I have a ton of them bookmarked and it's what I would recommend.

I hope I didn't sound too harsh WRT my attitude about photographers and their egos. I've just grown weary of the never-ending stream of people getting all honked off about disagreements regarding a small number of controversial images....and then "taking their ball and going home." In those instances where we get to actually see the images involved, my reaction is typically: "You're going to DEFCON 1 over THAT?" Glad we don't have people like that running our country. Oh wait.....
Kevin, you are right. I have multiple reasons for my presence here. I do like appreciation for my photography probably like anybody else here but it's not that big a deal personally. I miss seeing the photography of others from my country here. The perception among photogs here of RPN is not encouraging new contributors or viewers. It's not an ego thing so much as being so very difficult to deliver work with enough interestingness according to preferences and business expectations of the site owners. It becomes too much hassle to get photos accepted so they say. It doesn't take long for photos of our trains to start looking the same as there are few different types of locomotive, one company plus a handful of heritage operators. The reality could well be that most site viewers don't want so many foreign shots, especially without the variety of railroads other countries have, so screening is applied accordingly.