Old 07-09-2006, 02:42 AM   #1
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09
Default Website Hosting/Creating

I'm contemplating making a website(since I have too much free time lately), and I was curious as to what you guys think would be a good place to get hosting. A computer-oriented friend of mind pointed me toward Freewebs, but I also noticed that TrainWeb offers free hosting as well. Which would be the better place to get hosting at? Or is there someplace else that would be better?
And, should I follow through with my idea, what would be a good program(preferably easy to use) to use to make/edit the website?
Thanks!

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:45 AM   #2
Frederick

Freewebs has a cheap, prefabricated look in my opinion... you might want to learn a bit of HTML (which I don't) to create your own webpage.

Flickr Account

Last edited by Frederick; 07-09-2006 at 05:47 AM.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Strasburg_fan

Freewebs has an HTML Web Builder mode for more advanced users, as well as an Easy Web Builder mode for beginners, so you're free to select either one to give your website a more personalized appearance. Personally I have found Freewebs to be one of the best free web hosts on the net. Easy to use, plenty of neat features, and no pop-up ads.

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but feel free to check out my Freewebs site (http://www.freewebs.com/railroadfan) to get an idea of what you can do with Freewebs. I'm no professional webmaster, but I felt that I was able to create a site that met my standards and suited my tastes, with a minimal amount of work.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

-Christian S.
Strasburg_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
A computer-oriented friend of mind pointed me toward Freewebs, but I also noticed that TrainWeb offers free hosting as well. Which would be the better place to get hosting at?
Between the two, see what you get for free. Usually a free site won't give you a lot of space or a lot of bandwidth. The latter will be painfully obvious if your site becomes popular and starts using up a lot of bandwidth.

Quote:
Or is there someplace else that would be better?
To me, the best option is to pay a small monthly fee. You'll get a lot more space and a lot more bandwidth. I pay $9 a month for 2 GB of space and 200 GB bandwidth.

Quote:
And, should I follow through with my idea, what would be a good program(preferably easy to use) to use to make/edit the website?
Believe it or not, Notepad works just as well as any other HTML editor out there. Best of all, it's included with Windows. Just learn some basic HTML and you'll be good to go.
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:07 AM   #5
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Thanks for all the replies so far! New question, if a domain name isn't registered to anyone or company yet, how to I register it for myself?
Although some of you could probably guess what I'd do my site about, it'd be a kind of railfan guide for the area around me. It would encompass mostly stuff that isn't already out there on the web, so it would probably be mostly stuff around Lockport, Lemont, Joliet, and since there isn't much on the Rock line west of Joliet, maybe that too. Any suggestions for names?
Thanks again!

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #6
busyEMT

You can Google 'domain registration'. I prefer to register a domain with (if possible) the host of my website. It makes it easier and no need to transfer the registration.

My host, http://webintellects.com/solutions/d...gistration.htm, is not the cheapest, but at $12/yr, it isn't a bank buster.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:56 AM   #7
lucky77

I can definitely agree with what Caleb says! But I have a few comments myself...

Probably the best thing to do is start small. Free sites are usually a good place to do that, especially if you have very little knowledge of HTML. (Cascading Style Sheets can also make things easier for you, but start with the HTML...) Almost all of the free sites have some sort of page builder. If you are satisfied with the output of the page builder, you can use that as a template to build more pages. Pretty much what I did, my site was originally built with Yahoo/GeoCities PageBuilder, and I still use the same basic HTML concepts to make new pages on my site.

Notepad works, but I downloaded NoteTab Light. It's free, and a lot less frustrating than Notepad, especially when working on a lot of pages! See www.notetab.com ... I think I also downloaded "Notepad 2" or something like that -- also free -- but haven't used it yet.

If your site will have any quantity of photos, consider using PhotoBucket to host them, especially with a free site. That will save you tons of bandwidth.

I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about registering a domain name, at least not initially, unless you already have something specific in mind and want to make sure nobody else takes it. Yahoo seems to be regularly offering domain names for $2.99, but I don't know what their current deal is. I've also heard that GoDaddy is great for registering DNs, but avoid their hosting like the plague!

For other resources and suggestions, or a place to ask more-specific website-related questions, I have a "Websites" section on The Fuzzy World 3um, feel free to sign up and post questions.

Have fun!
Old 07-23-2006, 04:52 AM   #8
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

Well, I'll be upgrading my own server in around four weeks time. Dropping in a new 300GB HDD, as well as upgrading the OS. Maybe I could work something out in regards to selling off some of the space. There's no way in the world I'm going to be able to fill up all that space myself! USD5/month for a couple of gig, or something.

I don't have any webpage building software (not to mention that I wouldn't have a clue as to how to write any!), as I always use vim.

Anyone interested in being notified once I've upgraded stuff?
Callufrax is offline   Reply With Quote