Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #1
JimThias

Default Amtrak has gone MAD

My birthday is coming up in 10 days and I thought it would be a nice present to myself and my gf to ride the train from Grand Rapids to Chicago for the day (approx 180 miles and 4 hours on the train). The last time I rode the train was in the summer of 2000, and the fare was about $35 roundtrip for two people (2 for 1 special). So here is what they charge now for that same trip, 8 years later:

I can fill my car up for $50 and get just over 400 miles on a tank of gas and the trip is just over 2 hours. I guess Amtrak won't be getting my money any time soon. Oh yeah, tonight the train was two hours late returning to GR. Yet another reason NOT to ride it.

Amtrak is a glorified bus. How they can charge that kind of fare is beyond me.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
Jaypee_Logger
Blasting over a red flag.

Send a message via MSN to Jaypee_Logger Send a message via Yahoo to Jaypee_Logger

I looked into riding it from Pasco, WA to Portland, OR and it was $260 for my wife and i and our 4 year old. Kinda steep but i think the boy will like it. And by the way if you pay $50 to fill up your tank i need to move where you are. Gas is $4.50 a gal over here and every two weeks i spend about $100 filling up my truck and thats cheap compared to what some people spend.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
Arne H. B.

It is getting crazy but that's probably a peak season price Jim. Check what it will be in September, I bet it will be half price by then. I was thinking of taking the train to Los Angeles on my vacation but it was way too much (can't remember now but it was also way more than driving) and it is also 12+ hours from Oakland to LA. I can drive it in 6 hours! Well it will be 8 hours if you take the train to Bakersfield and then a bus to LA, but I didn't want to pack into a bus for 2 hours. I don't mind the long train ride, I've always wanted to make the trip down the Coast Line but I'll wait until the price goes down.
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:32 AM   #4
Christopher Muller

I checked from Staples, MN to Milwaukee two weeks ago... it was $81... checked two days ago and it was $140.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
Frederick

And the third option - fly round trip for $458 a person. So you would end up paying over $900 and then have to clear security, and then rent a car to drive around. Why anybody would want to do this is beyond me.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

If it makes anyone feel better, I actually witnessed a miracle yeasterday. We were posting for one of our other stations and I witnessed a $0.12 drop in gas. Yes a drop. Actually saw the girl fighting with her long suction cup pole changing the numbers. My partner and I were mezmerized. Around here in NW PA it is around $3.97 give or take a few pennies after the drop.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
K4driver

The Prices go up the closer you get to the date....But the tickets a while before you plan to go
Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4driver
The Prices go up the closer you get to the date....Buy the tickets a while before you plan to go
Wow, things sure have changed since the last time I rode the train. That was in August of 2000, and you actually paid while aboard when the conductor came to you. I realize they changed the way the tickets are purchased now due to higher ridership, but I'm amazed at the price now. Amtrak's Pere Marquette train between GRR and CHI is primarily a day-trippers train. MANY people go to Chicago for a day visit of shopping/seeing the sites, etc. You're there at 11am, and back on the train by 6pm (EST). Not much time to do much, but it's a nice little get away for the afternoon. The fact that they want $94 to take me to Chicago for 7 hours is what I find outrageous.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

With Amtrak's increased ridership, tickets are selling out quicker than ever. Normally during the summer (non-peak period since it's mostly a college train), to get from Champaign to Chicago booking a week before, might be up to $23 (can go as low as $13 if you book far enough in advance). However, this time, the cost was up to $35. Like everyone has said Jim, Amtrak has been experiencing record ridership everywhere, especially on medium distance intercity trains like the one you were going to be riding on. Awhile back, Amtrak began to use the airline pricing scheme, and it seems to have worked for them, based on a combination of demand and time of booking.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:49 AM   #10
stevenmwelch

Send a message via AIM to stevenmwelch Send a message via Yahoo to stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Muller
I checked from Staples, MN to Milwaukee two weeks ago... it was $81... checked two days ago and it was $140.
The later you wait to book a ticket, the more demand there is, so Amtrak raises the prices.

Amtrak needs all the money they can get...
My Photos on RP
My RP Rejects and then Some
stevenmwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:57 AM   #11
Mustang11

Here in Connecticut a non rush hour Amtrak ticket is $48 one way to get from New Haven to NYC. If you would like to upgrade from a regional to the Acela it becomes around $80. For a little over an hour ride that is crazy.

While much more comfortable and far less crowed then the Metro North trains, it doesn't make sense to ride them when an MTA ticket for the same distance is $30 round trip. The only time I have seen Amtrak come close to selling out a train here is on the Holidays.

Brian

My RailPictures.net Photos -- My fotopic.net Photos
Graphic Design & Photography portfolio site
Mustang11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #12
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4driver
The Prices go up the closer you get to the date....But the tickets a while before you plan to go
if it is about sold out, they charge more, look at a weekday?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
Like everyone has said Jim, Amtrak has been experiencing record ridership everywhere, especially on medium distance intercity trains like the one you were going to be riding on.
Add another coach?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #14
stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman
if it is about sold out, they charge more, look at a weekday?
No, just look further in advance.
My Photos on RP
Old 07-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
stevenmwelch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Add another coach?
Well, it would work on this train...

Image © Joel Hinkhouse
PhotoID: 179616
Photograph © Joel Hinkhouse
My Photos on RP
Old 07-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #16
Slopes09

Quote:
Add another coach?
Honestly, Amtrak probably doesn't have the equipment to spare. Haven't you seen the articles about the state of Amtrak's equipment? It's been said that if Amtrak doesn't get new equipment relatively soon, then they will be in trouble.

Don't forget, it costs money to add a new car, and it's relatively difficult to predict demand. If they allow people to book unlimitedly, then if they book one person over, then they have to add a car to the train for that one person. If they limit the size, they can charge appropriately to make demand fit the train. About the only time they add cars are during rush periods around holidays. For our line, it's only when college lets out or heads back that they add an extra car to the train.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #17
Slopes09

Also, if you book far enough in advance, you can get a pretty good price (adult, both ways):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amtrak ticket.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	3087  

Old 07-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
Honestly, Amtrak probably doesn't have the equipment to spare. Haven't you seen the articles about the state of Amtrak's equipment? It's been said that if Amtrak doesn't get new equipment relatively soon, then they will be in trouble.
Wow, they REALLY screwed the pooch, then. Well, I guess having full trains is better problem than empty ones, and it's an easy way for them to screw the passengers with high fares until they start losing riders.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:00 AM   #19
Joey Bowman

My girlfriend and I will be visiting my family in Jackson, MI in October, we are planning on going to Chicago. Last time I looked it was going to be $100 round trip for the two of us. With the cost of gas, plus the fact that we would probably have to pay to park any where around the city, taking the train should be cheaper for us. Im just dreading the fact that the Michigan Service trains are consistently late
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #20
JimThias

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bowman
My girlfriend and I will be visiting my family in Jackson, MI in October, we are planning on going to Chicago. Last time I looked it was going to be $100 round trip for the two of us. With the cost of gas, plus the fact that we would probably have to pay to park any where around the city, taking the train should be cheaper for us. Im just dreading the fact that the Michigan Service trains are consistently late
If your car gets 25-30 mpg, you should be able to easily get to Chicago and back for under $50. Also, if you know where to park in Chicago, it's not expensive at all. Take the car for half as much and twice as fast, or the train for twice as much and twice as long? It's a pretty simple decision for me.

Until Amtrak rivals the cost of driving (like they once did) for day-trip trains like the Pere Marquette, they aren't getting one cent of my money.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #21
Frederick

Quote:
If your car gets 25-30 mpg, you should be able to easily get to Chicago and back for under $50. Also, if you know where to park in Chicago, it's not expensive at all. Take the car for half as much and twice as fast, or the train for twice as much and twice as long? It's a pretty simple decision for me.

Until Amtrak rivals the cost of driving (like they once did) for day-trip trains like the Pere Marquette, they aren't getting one cent of my money.
419mi divided by 25mpg = 16.76 gallons

16.76 x $4.20 = $70.39

The 4.20 is an average, assuming gas costs $4.00 in Michigan, and $4.40 in Chicago.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #22
Joey Bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
419mi divided by 25mpg = 16.76 gallons

16.76 x $4.20 = $70.39

The 4.20 is an average, assuming gas costs $4.00 in Michigan, and $4.40 in Chicago.
Thats about the figure that I had been coming up with,

Add on some sort of fee for parking, whether it is cheap or not it is an additional cost.

If you get stuck in a traffic jam which has been normal on any Chicago visit I have made, this MPG will go down as well making us spend more on gas.

Either way traveling will be around $100.

Time wise it isn't too bad, either, Amtrak should take roughly 4 hours if my memory is correct, driving should take around 3 hours not counting any traffic or stops to pee.
Joey Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #23
Ween

Yeah, but on Amtrak, you can't stop and get your Qdoba or Chipotle or Famous Dave's or insert your favorite chow spot here!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #24
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Yeah, but on Amtrak, you can't stop and get your Qdoba or Chipotle or Famous Dave's or insert your favorite chow spot here!
That's true - but none of those places will sell you a $13 black olive omelet either

One long distance trip on Amtrak was plenty - I doubt I'll have a hankerin' for anymore for quite a while.