Old 09-21-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
vcode455

Default Oh well.....

So after numerous drone shots of stored engines and countless images where I have to squint to even see the train, thought I would try something different. Scanned a slide from Agnew, IL taken 8/94 of a CNW train in heavy fog. First rejected because it was overexposed, darkened it and got the backlit nose. Every sunset shot should be rejected on that basis. So much for something a little different, but I knew going in I had a -8.7% chance of getting in.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...37&key=5963990
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:20 PM   #2
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcode455 View Post
So after numerous drone shots of stored engines and countless images where I have to squint to even see the train, thought I would try something different. Scanned a slide from Agnew, IL taken 8/94 of a CNW train in heavy fog. First rejected because it was overexposed, darkened it and got the backlit nose. Every sunset shot should be rejected on that basis. So much for something a little different, but I knew going in I had a -8.7% chance of getting in.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...37&key=5963990
First I appreciate the historic CNW photos you post.
Rejection: I like the image but guess 1) it suffered from the exposure correction 2) turned a muddy brown 3) watch what you care for ie too much fog.

From a slide I think it is a hard process. Like to hear others. Generally I don't like armchair quarterbacks but I did a quick revision, not that I really happy with correction but maybe moves in different direction.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CNW.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	593.2 KB
ID:	9809  
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:47 PM   #3
vcode455

That looks more like the original I submitted that was overexposed. Yes, the fog was pretty heavy and does affect the image. No big deal. Funny thing, the image looking the other way off the Hwy 30 bridge was sunny and fog-free!
Old 09-21-2020, 11:12 PM   #4
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcode455 View Post
That looks more like the original I submitted that was overexposed. Yes, the fog was pretty heavy and does affect the image. No big deal. Funny thing, the image looking the other way off the Hwy 30 bridge was sunny and fog-free!
I think it can be a big deal. You submit a lot and I guess it is not in the scheme of how things are done but a little latitude would go a long way.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:52 AM   #5
vcode455

Just thought it was something a little different. Like I said, I had low expectations but thought it funny that it went from overexposed to backlit....